We are seeking an Advanced Research Assistant to join the Thomson Faculty Group within the group’s laboratories, as well as to work across multiple Faculty groups and centralised teams within the Parasites and Microbes Programme (PaM) at the Wellcome Sanger Institute .
This is a laboratory-based role, in which you will be responsible for performing both routine techniques and bespoke experimental processes, with particular focuses on mammalian tissue culture and sample management. We seek an individual experienced in tissue culture, with a keenness to contribute to developing cutting-edge infection models and culture systems.
You will work as part of our team to maintain and support strategically important tissue culture cell lines and infection models. This includes recently-established culture models for Treponema species. You will also maintain and conduct experiments with organoids, including those derived from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). There will be exciting opportunities to contribute to the research relying on these tissue culture systems, you will conduct a wide range of technically challenging experimental procedures with these cells and organisms. You will also contribute to the sample management processes within our Team and across the Programme. This will include the receipt, documentation, and management of considerable numbers (>1,000s) of biological specimens and DNA samples, as well as confirming that paperwork and approvals are in place prior to sample receipt. This will require that you are meticulously organised, and that you interact with a wide range of individuals both within the team and PaM more widely.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or relevant laboratory/research experience
- Experience with cell and mammalian tissue culture
- Experience with core molecular biology techniques, such as RNA/DNA extraction, protein expression and purification, RT-PCR, qPCR, library preparation reactions
- Experience in planning and running experiments over several days
- Ability to develop, optimise and deploy laboratory protocols
- Ability to supervise and train colleagues
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and within a team, contributing to discussions and disseminating knowledge and information
- Good practical knowledge and experience with advanced light microscopy for cell biology
- Familiarity with culturing and differentiating iPSCs
- Knowledge of and interest in infectious disease biology
- Post-graduate, scientific work experience
- Familiarity with the Nagoya Protocol, Human Tissue Act, and other legislation relevant to the use of biological samples, DNA, and tissue in research
You can also find out more about our inspiring campus here and information on the Technician Commitment here .
Please include a CV and cover letter with your application. Your cover letter should outline your suitability for the role, referring specifically to the essential and desirable skills listed in this advertisement and in the attached role profile.
Incomplete applications, or applications without this information in the cover letter, will not be considered.
Applications will be considered and reviewed on an ongoing basis and therefore the post may be filled before the closing date.
Please note: Maintaining cell lines may require occasional out-of-hours/weekend work; an element of flexibility will be required to accommodate this.
Research Associate (Fixed Term) , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced researcher to lead on a new collaborative project between the CRUK Cambridge Institute - Mair Lab, www.mair-lab.com and the Milner Institute - e...
Postdoctoral Scientist Structural Studies Matteo Allegretti Lmb 1851 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
View Vacancy -- Postdoctoral Scientist - Structural Studies - Matteo Allegretti - LMB 1851 Open Date 18/05/2022, 08:30 Close Date 15/06/2022, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Laboratory of Molecular...
Postdoctoral Scientist Structural Studies Dr Matteo Allegretti Lmb 1851 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago
View Vacancy -- Postdoctoral Scientist - Structural Studies - Dr Matteo Allegretti - LMB 1851 Open Date 18/05/2022, 08:30 Close Date 15/06/2022, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Laboratory of Molecu...
Postdoctoral Scientist Cell Biology Dr Madeline Lancaster Lmb 1850 , Medical Research Council, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago
View Vacancy -- Postdoctoral Scientist - Cell Biology - Dr Madeline Lancaster - LMB 1850 Open Date 17/05/2022, 08:30 Close Date 31/05/2022, 23:55 Research Institute MRC Laboratory of Molecular B...
Research Associate In Plant Systems Biology , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Applications are invited for a Post-doctoral Research Associate position in the group of Dr James Locke at the Sainsbury Laboratory, to carry out fundamental research in the field of plant systems...
Research Assistant/Research Associate (Fixed Term): Decoding Notch Signals In Real Time , University of Cambridge ;, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
Applications are invited for a Research Associate/Assistant post in Professor Sarah Bray's research group, available from 1 August 2022. You will work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team i...