The Cellular Genetics Programme is seeking an experienced histologist / pathologist to join us as an Advanced Research Assistant in Sarah Teichmann’s faculty group. The laboratory is focussed on the Human Cell Atlas, aiming to map tissues by combining single cell transcriptomics, spatial genomics and computational methodologies to build full-transcriptome three dimensional (3D) models of cells in their tissue context, with the long-term ambition of building a 3D whole-body atlas at single cell resolution.
You will provide histology support to the Teichmann team and work closely with other faculty and pipeline groups at the Institute. This role requires a highly flexible approach with the ability to adapt to meet changing requirements. You will be supported to learn new methods in the spatial transcriptomics / genomics field.
Duties would include:
- Providing histology support to the Teichmann team including sample receipt, freezing and / or fixing, sectioning (cryo and FFPE), H&E staining.
- Liasing with team members and pathologists to discuss sample histology. Pathology experience would be beneficial.
- RNA extraction to determine sample RIN.
- Learning spatial transcriptomics / genomics techniques as required by the laboratory, for example RNAScope in situ hybridization and Visium spatial transcriptomics.
- Library preparation, including for Visium spatial transcriptomics.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated and adaptable individual to gain exposure to novel technologies and support the cutting edge science delivered within the Cellular Genetics Programme.
- BSc (or equivalent) in a biological science or equivalent experience
- Strong background in wet-lab histology
- Experience with tissue preservation (e.g. fixation, cryopreservation) and sectioning including both paraffin embedded and frozen tissue material
- Basic background and experience in fluorescent microscopy of cells or tissues
Behaviours and Competencies:
- Ability to test, implement, and troubleshoot new techniques and protocols
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team
- Ability to be independent and organised
- Good attention to detail and record keeping for sample and experimental tracking
- Experience with immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization
- Experience with spatially resolved RNA-sequencing or high-multiplexed RNA in situ hybridization
- Molecular biology and / or NGS library preparation experience
- Experience operating liquid handling and / or microscopy robotics
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role addressing the criteria above and in the job description.
Research Associate Bioinformatician (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 21 hours ago
The Wellcome Trust - Medical Research Council Cambridge Stem Cell Institute (CSCI) is an international centre of excellence for stem cell research and regenerative medicine. Scientists in the Inst...
Advanced Research Assistant Genome Editing And Cellular R&D, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
We are seeking an enthusiastic Advanced Research Assistant to perform high throughput, transcription factor driven differentiation screens in human pluripotent stem cells to generate novel cell ty...
Research Assistant/Research Associate (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 21 hours ago
Research Assistant - £26,715 - £30,942 Research Associate - £32,816 - £40,322 Applications are invited for the positions of Research Assistant and/or Research Associate to join the group of Elisa ...
Research Associate (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 21 hours ago
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available within Dr Daniel Fazakerley's group at the Institute of Metabolic Science (IMS) at the University of Cambridge. Dr Fazakerley leads an innov...
Research Associate X 2 (Vallier Lab) (Fixed Term), University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, about 21 hours ago
The Wellcome Trust - Medical Research Council Cambridge Stem Cell Institute is an international centre of excellence for stem cell research and regenerative medicine. Scientists in the Institute c...
Advanced Research Assistant, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
The Translational Cancer Genomics Team focuses on understanding the consequences of alterations in the DNA of cancer cells. We do this at scale using multiple approaches including drug sensitivit...