Teaching Fellow in English for Academic Purposes (Dubai) - Birmingham International Academy - 97127 - Grade 7 - (210000HW)
Birmingham International Academy
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 22 April 2021
Please note that you are required to submit a shortlisting task with your application. Further details of this task can be found here .
University of Birmingham Dubai
Having established ourselves in Dubai International Academic City in 2018 we are now moving to a new and exciting phase of our development with the opening of our new state-of-the-art campus in September 2021. This post represents an excellent opportunity to join an ambitious World Top 100 University as we continue to grow our long-term strategic mission in Dubai, the UAE and the wider region. Our campus reflects the very best of Birmingham through our presence in Dubai.
Birmingham International Academy (BIA) provides pre-sessional and in-sessional programmes in Academic English and Skills for international students at the University of Birmingham. The BIA also provides EAP and Academic Skills modules for Foundation Pathway programmes which are delivered in collaboration with the Colleges. BIA sits within Academic Services and has a strong international profile. The teaching is research-informed and staff are encouraged to take part in relevant conferences and CPD training sessions.
Summary of Role
The post holder will be expected to teach English for Academic Purposes across a range of programmes or modules including Presessional English, Foundation EAP modules and Academic English in-sessional courses.
The post holder will be expected to teach on average 18 hours per week (with reduction being given for administrative, managerial or other duties as directed and agreed) and conduct 1 to 1 tutorials. The post holder will be expected to teach for 39 weeks per year. S/he will teach across all programmes but may predominantly be attached to a specific programme for materials development or managerial purposes (specialist duties may include assessment development, teacher development, VLE development, quality systems and audits).
The post holder will also undertake other teaching-related activities and any other relevant duties, as laid down by the BIA Operations and Development Director /Programme Managers.
· To plan and prepare own teaching, including materials, handouts and use of VLE in accordance with the established objectives of the teaching programmes.
· To prepare students with the English language and academic skills they will need for their chosen academic programme using research-informed teaching methodology.
· To deliver teaching flexibly where required within a classroom environment or remotely as required using the LMS and video conference technology.
· To contribute to the design of modules with other colleagues.
· Monitor students’ academic learning outcomes, track progress and benchmark achievement against set targets
· Supervise student projects, and generally assist students to improve their academic communications skills, develop relevant study skills and habits and transition socially and academically.
· Undertake a full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining of all summative assessment (subject to validation by academic supervisor), as well as to any progress checks, presentations and coursework implemented during the course.
· Provide pastoral care and academic advice in a prompt and effective manner.
· Provide cover for other teachers when necessary.
· Provide, where possible in advance, a lesson plan and materials for any lessons to be covered by a substitute teacher in the event of an unavoidable absence.
· Frequently update own subject expertise and complete all mandatory training as requested.
· Undertake personal professional development in teaching, including self-reflection on own teaching, using feedback from management observations as well as student and peer review feedback, to enhance own teaching and learning processes.
· Develop an approach to planning and developing own teaching through participation in Continuous Professional Development.
· Attend all staff meetings and contribute ideas for the improvement of the programme.
· Be conversant with and uphold the principles inherent in the core competencies of an EAP practitioner, as detailed in the TEAP competency framework, developed by BALEAP.
· Undertake management/administration arising from teaching.
· Contribute to knowledge transfer on own specialism that is of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader.
· Contribute to BIA teaching-related activities and teaching-related administration.
· Promote equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
· A Masters in a TEFL-related area and a CELTA or
· A diploma in English teaching/ PGCE with substantial TEFL component, or diploma-level qualifications as defined in section 4.2 of the British Council’s Accreditation UK handbook https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/k062_uk_accreditation_handbook_2019_final_v2.pdf (pp.34- 36)
· Substantial experience and expertise in delivering EAP/ESAP at a UK Higher Education institution to UG and PG international students from a diverse range of backgrounds and an excellent teaching record
· A sound knowledge and understanding of pedagogic and academic issues in teaching EAP/ESP
· Experience of teaching English for Specific Academic Purposes (e.g. to students of Engineering, Law, etc).
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of the UK higher education system
· Excellent classroom performance
· Ability to design and deliver module materials and assessments successfully.
· Confidence and skills in using technology to deliver teaching online
· Clear and effective written and oral presentation skills.
· Experience of safeguarding the welfare of students.
· The ability to form professional working relationships with all students, including under 18s and vulnerable adults.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and collegiality.
· Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
· Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
In return, you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This is a full-time post, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
For informal enquiries, please contact Gareth Mainwaring, Director of Operations and Development - email email@example.com (Birmingham) and Professor David Sadler, Provost (Dubai campus) - email firstname.lastname@example.org (Dubai)
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment
Dubai International Academic City341799
: Academic Non-clinical
: Academic Services
: 24.03.2021, 1:07:14 PM
Grade (for job description): Grade 7
Advert Close Date
: 22.04.2021, 6:59:00 PM
Assistant/Associate Professor International Business , University of Wollongong in Dubai ;, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
University of Wollongong in Dubai – Faculty of Business About the Faculty: The Faculty of Business is the largest faculty within the University of Wollongong in Dubai. The Faculty offers undergrad...
Uowd7983 Global Recruitment Officer – South Asia, University of Wollongong Dubai, UAE, 17 days ago
This position is based on the Dubai campus in Knowledge Park, it includes a competitive salary and the following benefits: annual economy class airfare allowance for the Employee economy class rep...
Regional Head Of Strathclyde Executive Education & Development International (Gcc & Middle East) (369098) , University of Strathclyde ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Strathclyde Executive Education and Development (SEED) International Office seek to appoint a regional head, based in Dubai, to lead the next stage of our ambitious growth and to manage major proj...
Student Enrollment Coordinator, Hult, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
About us Hult International Business School is the world’s global business school offering an accelerated MBA degree, a series of one-year Master degrees, an Executive MBA degree, a Bachelor degre...
Teacher Of English For Academic Purposes, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Title Four full-time Teachers of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at NUIST-Reading Academy / College of Liberal Arts Description Applications are invited for four full time posts of Teacher...
Enrollment Coordinator, Postgraduate Programs (South Asia), Hult, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Enrollment Coordinator, Postgraduate Programs(South Asia) Location: Dubai, UAE Level: Associate Department: Sales & Marketing The Opportunity As an Enrollment Coordinator for Hult Inter...