Desktop Support Specialist (Dubai) - IT Services - 59375D - Band 500 - (1900000T)
Role: Desktop Support Specialist (Dubai) – 59375D
College / Department: IT services, Dubai Operations
Full time / Part time: Full Time
Duration of post: Fixed Term for 3 years
The development and opening of our Dubai Campus in September 2018 has marked us as the first global top 100 and Russell Group University to establish a campus in Dubai. Initially we are offering a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, including Economics, Teacher Education, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering and Business. Our ambition over the next ten years is to grow the University of Birmingham Dubai to around 4,500 students studying on a full range of programmes; and to establish an active programme of research.
Over the next 5 years we will be establishing a sector leading campus at the heart of Dubai’s rapidly developing international educational hub with the talent, creativity and tenacity that will help realise our ambition, strength, and commitment to being an outstanding global university.
The new University of Birmingham Dubai Campus is located in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), a dedicated site hosting 25 international universities and colleges located in easy reach of the internationally renowned Dubai business district and 23 km from centre of Dubai. The University of Birmingham Dubai exemplifies the qualities and values we have championed for more than a century. We collaborate with partners across the world to create ground-breaking research, deliver innovative teaching and create opportunities for staff and students to gain international experience. There has never been a more exciting time to become a part of the University of Birmingham and to join our mission to deliver a world-class British university education in the global city and international hub of Dubai.
The post holder will play a key role within a committed IT Support Team, providing desktop support on campus.
Using their own knowledge and expertise they will be required to analyse desktop PC problems, identify the cause and using their own judgement restore function as quickly as possible, in line with University C&IT Standards. This may involve short term measures to bring the equipment back on line, and to follow a longer term plan to fully resolve the issue and prevent further failure.
The post holder must be able to communicate complex IT technical problems and requirements in an understandable fashion to non-technical staff, including Department managers, academic and administrative staff.
To manage and support desktop resources (hardware and software) for the whole range of PC users on campus, including high profile academic and administrative staff e.g. Heads of Schools, Senior Officers.
• Be fully conversant with all areas of desktop IT support including Windows desktop operating systems, Microsoft applications and other best of breed desktop applications.
• Set up of new users, printers and general system administration to ensure access to all networked servers and systems.
• Develop specialist knowledge for areas within the team, including in-house bespoke applications e.g. Student records system client (Banner).
• The scope for specialism is wide and covers, for example, initiating standard desktop images for PCs and developing server skills where appropriate.
• Troubleshoot problems, some of which may require in-depth knowledge, and develop and implement solutions. This requires the post holder to have the skills and experience to work on their own initiative, to assess problems and judge the appropriate solution, referring to more senior team members for in-depth specialist advice.
• Monitor the performance of desktop PCs and associated services to ensure reliability and smooth operations of IT systems that are required for all aspects of the work of the customer base as a whole.
• Assist with the monitoring of central backup services to ensure the security and integrity of the information store.
• Determine priorities for one’s own allocated workload and to co-ordinate with other team members to ensure that these meet overall ITS priorities.
The post holder requires excellent communication skills for this customer-facing role and will be required to ensure full consultation with customers and service providers at all stages.
• Obtaining quotes, specifying and making recommendations for the purchase of computer equipment and software, in conjunction with senior team members. To make recommendations on a Value for Money basis whether to repair, upgrade or replace hardware and software in line with overall strategy and standards.
• Liaison with external companies and contractors, to ensure prompt and adequate service, where appropriate
• Initiate approved disposal mechanisms for redundant hardware.
• Support the desktop service on an ongoing basis, working closely with the central ITS Service Desk and more senior team members where appropriate to ensure smooth resolution of support calls and ensuring that resolution details are recorded with the Service Desk for future reference.
• Providing 1 to 1 training and advice to PC users, either verbally or via written documentation.
To be involved with project activities within own area of expertise, in conjunction with the work of other team members and providing written documentation and training as required.
• To play a key role in important projects, e.g. the rollout of replacement staff PC’s, visiting members of staff, analysing and specifying requirements, assisting with PC procurement, and installing and configuring PC’s to customer requirements in accordance with IS standards.
• Full involvement in subsets of major projects, liaising with other members of the team to ensure that each part of the project is completed on time and does not adversely impact on the overall plan e.g. the roll out of a new application suite to a department.
• Providing 1 to 1 training to users as part of ongoing user development.
To ensure client desktop connectivity to the campus network in accordance with the University’s networking standards, policy and infrastructure, including the following specific tasks in consultation with the Network Team:
• Troubleshooting of client side faults and application of fixes to ensure continuity of network services
• Recommend provision of additional network points and undertake IP registration of desktop equipment.
To undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time in furtherance of the work of IT Services.
It is essential that the post holder be fully conversant with all of the following:
• Microsoft Windows operating systems
• Microsoft Office 20xx and MS Outlook (Exchange) Client.
• Active Directory and Exchange 20xx Environment.
Specialised knowledge and support experience in any of the following areas would be an advantage:
• Mac OS 10.x, SCCM, and Desktop Applications e.g. Adobe Acrobat Professional. Active Directory User management, VB scripting, PC, printers and peripheral hardware, TCP/IP, DHCP and mobile devices (smartphones, tablets etc.)
• Clear and concise communication skills.
• Strong customer service orientation, ensuring effective and timely resolution of customer issues.
• The ability to work effectively as a member of a team towards quality service goals and deadlines.
• Structured and methodical approach to problem solving.
• Ability to prioritise and schedule assigned workloads in the face of conflicting demands.
• A minimum of five GCSEs (grade C or above) essential, preferably including Maths and English.
• An MCDST/MCP or other industry recognized IT qualifications would be an advantage.
• Full driving license is beneficial.
• Substantial amount of experience (or equivalent) within a complex desktop support environment.
• Extensive experience of troubleshooting desktop support issues, both routine and unique, from initial problem analysis through to implementation of solutions is essential.
Dubai International Academic City341799
: IT Services
: 03.06.2019, 6:05:36 AM
Grade (for job description): Band 500
Uowd7221 Casual Arabic Language Teacher, University of Wollongong Dubai, UAE, about 12 hours ago
University of Wollongong in Dubai is seeking applications to recruit for the position of Casual Arabic Language Teacher. Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language is a primary function of the Language...
Sports Development Manager, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Closing date 24 Oct 2019 23:00 (UK time) Salary AED 166,136–AED 204,130 Location Dubai Department Heriot-Watt University Dubai Category Administration Status Full Time Duration 36 months fixed-ter...
Digital Services Librarian, University of Toronto, Canada, 15 days ago
Digital Services Librarian Vacancy An exceptional opportunity awaits an innovative forward-thinking librarian at American University of Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates (near Dubai). As part of...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Economics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
The Opportunity Zayed University’s College of Business has two open positions at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in Economics. The start date is August 2020 (though a start date of Ja...
Assistant/Associate/Full Professor In Finance, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
The Opportunity Zayed University’s College of Business has two open positions at the rank in Finance. The start date is August 2020 (though a start date of January 2021 may also be considered). On...
Adjunct Assistant/Associate/Full Professor In Anthropology, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
The University Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. With its campuses in Abu Dhabi ...