Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living. Empa is a research institution of the ETH Domain.
The Laboratory for Acoustics / Noise Control develops smart materials and noise reduction technologies to reduce noise and foster healthy acoustic environments. Assisting industrial partners in the abatement of railway noise and vibrations is one of our core topics.
This two-year project, funded by the Swiss Federal Government, is part of Empa's effort to bridge the gap between fundamental science and engineering applications. Specifically, in this project we will further develop models to predict railway noise and vibrations. These models are used to investigate the effect of new developments, both in the track and for the rolling stock, and to support nation-wide noise mapping for legal compliance.
- You set up finite element models in the frequency and time domain, including complex phenomena such as visco-elasticity and nonlinear contacts. Knowledge of Ansys and/or Code Aster is a plus.
- You implement boundary element models to calculate the noise emission from trains under realistic conditions.
- You enhance the existing modelling toolchain to predict ground vibrations due to passing trains, taking into account the energy transmission through ballast.
- You use large measurement datasets to validate the model results, and adapt them to real-life situations. You assist in finding an efficient system to handle large amounts of data.
- You interact with academic and industrial partners to gain better understanding of the final requirements, and with your colleagues within the group to discuss the physical foundations of the models you devise.
- In frequent reporting to stakeholders, varying between weekly to monthly, you will show the results that you have obtained and give a well-founded interpretation of those results. You will iterate on your work and your approach based on the feedback of your supervisors which helps you steer the direction of your research.
If you recognize yourself in the story below, then you have the profile that fits the project and the research group:
- I have a master degree in engineering, physics or mathematics, and I have affinity with railway topics.
- I am proficient in written and spoken English.
- During my courses or prior professional activities, I have gathered experience with at least one of the following: principles of vibrations and acoustics, structural dynamics, numerical modelling techniques (finite element method, discrete element method, boundary element method), or experimental methods in structural dynamics. I have a profound interest for these topics.
- I ideally have basic knowledge in data processing and analysis, especially for big data sets.
- As a research engineer, I enjoy translating the physical principles that inspire my work into viable engineering solutions and enjoy meeting the challenges set by real life applications.
- I am excited to expand my scientific and technical knowledge, by searching for relevant literature and through discussions with my colleagues.
We offer an inclusive workplace, with a vibrant scientific culture and colleagues that enjoy the challenges posed by real engineering applications. Our new colleagues will be integrated in a group of scientists and engineers with diverse academic and cultural background. Close cooperation with a leading company in its field and the ability to contribute to the translation of ongoing research into application will represent a valuable asset for furthering the successful applicant's career.
You stay in a dynamic environment centrally in Europe. Empa has its main campus in Dübendorf, located close to Zürich and 20 minutes by tram from Zurich International Airport. Zurich is one of the cities with the highest quality of life worldwide, welcoming to non-German speaking people and with ample opportunities for social, cultural, and outdoor activities.
«a» stands for «all» in our job advertisements. We live a culture of inclusion and respect. We welcome all people who are interested in innovative, sustainable and meaningful activities - that's what counts.
DavidHeusser, HR Partner
Engineer Or Scientist In The Field Of Vibro Acoustic Modelling Of Timber Buildings, Empa, Switzerland, 11 days ago
25 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Empa Research Field Physics » Acoustics Engineering » Other Physics » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Switzerland Appl...
Eng D Position In Research On Tyre Stick/Slip Noise Phenomena In Tyres, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, 3 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Twente (UT) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 31 Jan 20...
Eng D Position In Research On Tyre Stick/Slip Noise Phenomena In Tyres, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
Vacancies EngD Position in Research on tyre stick/slip noise phenomena in tyres Key takeaways Project description When the tyre rolls over an uneven road surface, it starts to vibrate. Excessive f...
Modelization Of Noise Propagation In Sea Basins, Università degli Studi di Trieste, Italy, 8 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Università degli Studi di Trieste Department HR - Academic Staff Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) ...
Master Thesis “Scene Aware Conditional Diffusion Models For Robot Motion Planning”, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Austria, 1 day ago
6 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH Department Human Resources Research Field Technology » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1...
Postdoc Or Scientist Chemical Engineering In The Field Of Polymer Processing (A), Empa, Switzerland, about 24 hours ago
7 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Empa Research Field Engineering » Chemical engineering Chemistry » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Switzerland Applicati...