100%, Zurich, fixed-term
inspire AG is the leading Swiss competence center for product innovation and advanced manufacturing. As a strategic partner of ETH Zurich, our mission is to transfer knowledge and technology from research to Swiss machine, electrical and metal industries.
The research group Laser Material Processing at inspire offers in collaboration with the Advanced Manufacturing Laboratory (AML) at ETH Zurich the position of a Research Associate in the field of Multi-Material Additive Manufacturing.
Our research group uses the additive manufacturing technology called direct energy deposition (DED) to manufacture parts, apply coatings, and repair products. In DED, a laser beam creates a melt-pool and material is added in the shape of powder or wire. When it comes to coatings, dissimilar materials need to be joint together, such as a ductile substrate and a low-friction coating. Due to different material properties such as melting points and chemical composition, the process window that joins materials is challenging to find. With an innovative technology called High-Speed Laser Cladding (HSLC), the added material is molten before it reaches the surface, and a bonding of dissimilar materials enabled.
The main goal of your work is the development of laser processes for coating of industrial products. The research is part of a multiannual industrial research project and includes the development of processes and processing strategies with pulsed lasers and multi-material coating characterization.
- Development of a laser process settings to coat different substrates (e.g., aluminum, steel, titanium) with a dissimilar material (copper-based alloys) – multi-material
- Coating analysis (such as bonding, porosity, cracking, wear-resistance) together with material experts
- Transfer of the newly developed process to parts and components on an industrial machine
- Generalization of research results, make them transferable to new application areas (different or new materials, requirements, or products)
- CH/EU/EFTA citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland
- Master’s degree (technical university, university) in materials science, mechanical engineering, physics, or similar.
- Excellent grades to meet the requirements for doctoral studies at ETH Zurich
- Knowledge of laser material processing
- Experiences in materials analysis (e.g., microscopy, hardness measurement)
- A good knowledge (written/oral) of English is mandatory.
- Knowledge of German is preferred.
- Highly self-organized and structured way of working
- High motivation and willingness to learn new skills
- High level of team-orientation, positive work attitude and creativity
- Willingness to teach (about 10%)
inspire AG is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We offer a full-time scientific position with the option of a PhD thesis at ETH Zurich. Through the close cooperation with our project partners, you will quickly establish contacts with Swiss industry, and in our young team you will work at the forefront of today's knowledge in laser material processing
Curious? So are we.
Please send your full application (cover letter, transcripts, CV, references) with reference “RA-AM” to Dr. Timo Schudeleit, Head of Laser Material Processing, inspire AG (email@example.com).
Please also visit our websites www.inspire.ethz.ch and https://advanced-manufacturing.ethz.ch/.
Senior Laser Physicist (187), Eli beamlines, Czech, 19 days ago
19 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eli beamlines Department HR Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Czech Republic Application Deadline 30 Au...
Laser Technician Ultrafast Laser Systems, ETH, Switzerland, 2 days ago
We are looking for a qualified laser technician to support the maintenance and operation of the “FastLab ” laser research infrastructure and its member groups at ETH Zurich. The infrastructure is ...
Lecturer In Machining Processes And Manufacturing Technology, VIETNAMESE-GERMAN UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking a highly qualified full-time lecturer in Machining Processes & Manufacturing Technology. Candidates must hold a PhD in this field or a closely rel...
Lecturer In Machining Processes And Manufacturing Technology, VIETNAMESE-GERMAN UNIVERSITY, Vietnam, 28 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company VIETNAMESE-GERMAN UNIVERSITY Research Field Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Vietnam A...
Laser Based Additive Manufacturing – Ph.D. Position, University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Slovenia, 21 days ago
18 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Department Chair of Synergetics Research Field Engineering » Mechanical engineering Engi...
Junior Fellow – Diamond Photonics Platform For Neuronal Signalling Studies (Ref.10.22.48/2), INL, Portugal, 9 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company INL Department Human Resources Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Portugal Application Deadline 21 Jun 2...