100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Chair of Energy Systems Analysis (ESA), within the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering at ETH Zurich, is looking for a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Researcher / Senior Assistant to work broadly in the area of energy systems analysis. The ESA group is headed by Prof. Dr Russell McKenna and generally focuses on the energy system analysis of low carbon energy systems and technologies, by working at the intersection of engineering and economics to develop and apply energy system models to diverse energy systems and research questions. The Chair holder’s joint appointment as the Head of the Laboratory of Energy Systems Analysis at PSI means a strong collaboration with this group is also desirable.
The Post-Doctoral Researcher’s / Senior Assistant’s primary responsibility will be to co-manage the group alongside the Chair holder. This means carrying out world-class research broadly within the Chair’s domain of interest and publishing in the top-tier international venues. As part of this responsibility, the postdoctoral researcher will co-supervise and work closely with PhD students, undergraduate and masters students within the Chair. Opportunities for external collaboration with both academic and industry partners at other institutions will be plentiful, and promising collaborations with top external colleagues will be encouraged.
Furthermore, a strong involvement is expected in the coordination and management of various other research aspects of the group's activities and projects, potentially including:
- Helping to explore and define new research opportunities for the group
- Writing grant proposals and technical reports for funded projects
- Organisation of conferences and seminars within and beyond ETH
- Assisting in the coordination of collaborative research projects
- Participating in the evaluation and hiring of new group members
- Participation in teaching and outreach activities is optional but possible if desired
- PhD degree in energy systems analysis or a closely-related field, with a strong publication track record in quantitative model-based analysis (in the case of Postdoc, PhD near to completion may be considered).
- Strong research background in at least one and ideally several: energy system integration, sector coupling, decentralised energy systems, multi-energy systems, resource assessment methods
- High motivation, ambition and enthusiasm about security research, an analytical mindset, attention to detail, self-driven, and ability to work independently and as a research team member.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to develop advising skills and help foster the next generation of researchers
- Outstanding communication skills in English, both oral and written.
You will receive an employment full-time contract and a competitive gross salary in accordance with ETH standards . Additionally, support for conference travel and research expenses will be available.chevron_right Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae including educational history, full list of publications, awards, etc.
- Research statement of ~2 pages covering your interests, goals, and how they would relate to and fit in with the ESA Chair’s research domain and activities
- Names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of at least three references, mentioning for each of them the professional relationship you have with them
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information (no applications) please contact Prof. Russell McKenna (email@example.com ) at the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Postdoc In Borehole Thermal Energy Storage Control, Empa, Switzerland, about 12 hours ago
Empa - the place where innovation starts Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and th...
Postdoctoral Position In Observational Cosmology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
Applicants are invited to apply for a postdoctoral position in observational cosmology at the Institute for Particle Physics and Astrophysics at ETH Zurich. At ETH Zurich, the candidate will work ...
Postdoctoral Position In Digital Health At The University Of Zurich , University of Zurich, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
Department of Quantitative Biomedicine Postdoctoral Position in Digital Health at the University of Zurich 100 % Digital Health Zurich (DHZ) is a new research initiative between the University of Z...
Mef / Ptk / Research Technician / Assistant Position , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 3 days ago
Department of Pathology and Molecular Pathology, University Hospital Zurich Institute of Molecular Cancer Research (IMCR) MEF / PTK / Research Technician / Assistant Position 50-100% The Weber Labo...
Research Technician / Assistant Position , University of Zurich, Switzerland, about 10 hours ago
Department of Pathology and Molecular Pathology, University Hospital Zurich Institute of Molecular Cancer Research (IMCR) Research Technician / Assistant Position 50-100 % The Weber Laboratory is s...
Post Doctoral Fellow, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Description To undertake high quality research support aimed at producing high-quality models and publications, thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University. To acqu...