100%, Geneva, fixed-term
The Institute for Particle Physics and Astrophysics is participating in various large-scale experiments worldwide. One of these experiments is CMS at CERN’s large hadron collider in Geneva. Our institute has a multidisciplinary technology team with competencies in the fields of mechanical, electrical, and electronic engineering and in the fabrication and installation of scientific instruments and infrastructure.
We are looking for a skilled and multitalented technician reinforcing our technology team at CERN, working on the CMS detector upgrade project.
As a technician in our group, you will participate in the upgrade of the CMS electromagnetic calorimeter and contribute to the fabrication of the CMS barrel timing detector. You will participate in the development of components and test equipment, in large-scale fabrication, testing and installation of parts as well as in the preparation and operation of test equipment and areas. The activity ranges from design to commissioning and usage of equipment. It includes communication with internal and external partners.
As a technician in our group you will:
- Design mechanical components.
- Select and procure components in the industry.
- Fabricate mechanical components using conventional machines and 3D printing.
- Prepare and install electrical assemblies.
- Prepare and install cable assemblies.
- Assemble and test electronic components, prototypes as well as larger quantities.
Moreover, you will participate in the preparation of test-beam activities and in the setup of the electromagnetic calorimeter integration area, process orders and transport tasks.
Furthermore, as a member of our institute‘s technology team, you will occasionally be involved in other activities of our institute. This may include working in Zurich for limited periods of time as well as in other places like for instance at our Cherenkov telescope installations at the Canarian Island La Palma.
You have completed vocational training in a technical field like mechanics, electronics, electric or mechatronics.
In particular, you have:
- Knowledge and experience in reading technical drawings.
- Basic knowledge and experience in preparing technical drawings including 3D drawings. Preferably you have experience in using CATIA 3D design software, if not, you are willing to learn it.
- Experience in manufacturing components using a conventional lathe or milling machine. Experience with 3D printing is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in preparing cable assemblies as well as with manual soldering of electrical components.
- Good knowledge of the use of computers (Windows, Word, Excel).
- Very good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of French and German is a plus.
- A driving license class B.
Moreover, you are:
- Willing to acquire the required license for the usage of our 10t crane.
- Willing to work at underground installations, work near strong magnetic fields and work on installations and in rooms with ionizing radiation. Your health permits this type of work.
Preferably you already have experience from a similar job in research and development. You enjoy technical challenges, are committed and appreciate a varied work environment. You have very good communication skills and enjoy working effectively with other colleagues, various internal offices, as well as external companies. You complete the tasks you take on independently, efficiently and carefully.
- Interesting and varied work in a small multidisciplinary team comprising engineers, technicians and physicists.
- An excellent team spirit and an international working environment.
- A working environment with appropriate tools and equipment.
- Very good prospects for your professional development.
chevron_right Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Certificate(s) for vocational qualification(s)
- Language Education Certificates, if applicable
- Assessments of previous employment
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Institute for Particle Physics and Astrophysics can be found on our website . Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr Werner Lustermann, Tel +41 22 767 6520 or email Werner.Lustermann@cern.ch (no applications).
For recruitment services, the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Assistant Professorship (Non Tenure Track) Of Geriatric…, University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Zurich invites applications for a Assistant Professorship (non Tenure Track) of Geriatric Rehabilitation The position is limited to six years and assoc...
Professor Or Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Of Experimental Gravitational Wave Research, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 5 hours ago
The Department of Physics (www.phys.ethz.ch ) at ETH Zurich invites applications for the above-mentioned position. Successful candidates maintain a strong research program in experimental gravitat...
Assistant Professorship (Non Tenure Track) Of Geriatric Rehabilitation , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 5 days ago
Department of Aging Medicine Assistant Professorship (non Tenure Track) of Geriatric Rehabilitation 100% The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Zurich invites applications for a Assistant Pro...
Research Veterinarian , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 5 days ago
Center for Surgical Research Research Veterinarian 100 % The University of Zurich, Center for Surgical Research, is looking to appoint with immediate effect or by agreement Veterinarian Research 10...
Data Scientist/Senior Data Scientist – Industry Collaborations, EPFL, Switzerland, 8 days ago
EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than ...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) Of Medicinal Chemistry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich), Switzerland, 4 days ago
The Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences (www.chab.ethz.ch ) at ETH Zurich invites applications for the above-mentioned position. The new assistant professor will be expected to build a...