40%-60%, Zurich, permanent
The Geothermal Energy and Geofluids (GEG) Group is a renowned research unit in the Department of Earth Sciences at ETH Zurich investigating a wide range of subsurface mass and energy transfer processes as well as related power plant processes. We conduct both fundamental and applied research to address a wide range of societal concerns related to geothermal energy exploration, extraction and utilization, geologic carbon dioxide sequestration, combinations thereof, groundwater utilization and contaminant mitigation, subsurface mass (e.g. gas) and energy storage, and more. More information on the GEG group can be found here: GEG.ethz.ch .
The Geothermal Energy and Geofluids (GEG)group develops state-of-the-art scientific and engineering software for a wide range of applications, many of which are used by different academic communities, industries, and public/governmental organizations. We have a diverse collection of computer codes, ranging from purely mathematical/numerical ones to others that permit computer simulations of chemically reactive processes, fluid flow, and heat transfer in reservoirs. We have also integrated economics calculations in some of our simulators to enable, for example, the calculation of geo-techno-economic parameters, such as the levelized cost of power generation. We also plan to develop desktop and/or web-based GUIs for some of our software as well as hosting of our software on commercial platforms for SaaS applications.
IT support for all GEG group research activities and for academic and commercial software installations on our computers, including massively parallel systems, as well as for our own software development is vital for our long-term scientific, engineering and techno-economic research and development goals. We are thus looking for an IT expert whose responsibilities will include:
- IT support for the GEG group (~25 people): Purchase and administration of user hardware and software (including handling of licenses), integration of systems into ETH network, support of backup and NAS system of the group, etc., in close interaction with ETH’s overall IT support
- Development of web applications and associated desktop and web-based GUIs for scientific software developed by the GEG group, including for SaaS applications and associated installations on commercial servers (full-stack development)
- Scientific IT Support (SIS): compilation, installation, testing, workflow development of academic and commercial scientific software
- Maintain existing and develop new GEG group static and dynamic web pages and associated data base (full stack development)
- Closely interact with the GEG software development team, regarding IT services to ensure efficient development, testing, packing, hosting and SaaS applications of the developed software
- Closely interact with ETH’s IT/Cybersecurity support to provide a reasonable level of cybersecurity to all GEG computing endeavors
- Completed IT apprenticeship EFZ with specialization in business informatics or systems engineering or scientific/engineering computing or career changer with proven experience
- Several years of professional experience in user support and administration of Windows and MacOS and Linux systems
- Experience with scientific/engineering software development, testing, packaging and deployment
- Experience with the most important web frameworks for front-end and back-end development
- Experience with the most important cloud computing platforms (e.g. Google Cloud, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure) and ideally deployment experience with software on app-hosting platforms
- Very good knowledge of English (and ideally German) both written and spoken
- Cybersecurity training/knowledge
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Brief cover letter summarizing your motivation for applying for the position
- Your CV
- diplomas and work certificates
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Martin Saar, firstname.lastname@example.org
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Research Associate , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Wyss Zurich Research Associate 100 % The Wyss Zurich Translational Center (Wyss Zurich) is a joint accelerator of the ETH Zurich and the University of Zurich, which was made possible by a generous ...
Biomedical Engineer , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
University Children's Hospital Zurich Biomedical Engineer ca. 70% As part of an interdisciplinary project between research groups of the ETH and the University of Zurich, a novel biomedical device ...
Science It Consultant , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Science IT (S3IT) Science IT Consultant 60-100 %, permanent position The Science IT (S3IT) unit is part of the Information Technology department at the University of Zurich, with the goal of suppor...
Professorship In Business Economics, With A Focus On Personnel Economics And Economics Of (Vocational) Education , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Faculty of Business, Economics and Informatics Professorship in Business Economics, with a focus on Personnel Economics and Economics of (Vocational) Education 100 % The Faculty of Business, Econom...
Predoctoral Research Associate In Economics , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Department of Economics Predoctoral Research Associate in Economics 70 % The Department of Economics of the University of Zurich invites applications for the position of a Full-Time Predoctoral Res...
Predoctoral Positions In Economics , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Department of Economics Predoctoral positions in Economics 70 % The Department of Economics at the University of Zurich, a leading European research department, representing a wide range of researc...