Join a great team pushing the limits of accelerator-magnet test and measurement, to shape the future of CERN’s large accelerators. Take part!
You will join:
The Test and Magnetic Measurements Section (TM) of the Magnet, Superconductors and Cryostat Group (MSC), as part of the Technology Department (TE), in charge of the qualification of magnetic materials, testing of accelerator components, and magnetic measurements of normal and superconducting magnets. The TE-MSC group has the mandate to design, construct, and test superconducting as well as normal conducting magnets, and to integrate them in the CERN accelerator complex.
The mandate of the TM section includes the characterization of the magnetic field strength and homogeneity of new and existing accelerator magnets, along with electrical and power test of superconducting devices. This work is carried out by an interdisciplinary team of engineers/physicists, technicians, and students working in collaboration with magnet designers and beam physicists. To make these tests and measurements possible, and to achieve the accuracy required to control particle beams, we develop and maintain highly specialised, world-class test facilities, electronic instrumentation and magnetic sensors. To support magnetic measurements and analysis we develop software for data-acquisition and controls as well as magnet-design software based on finite/boundary elements. Latest developments have included generalized field descriptions, combining magnetic measurements with numerical field simulations. We are also responsible for the development and maintenance of real-time measurement systems that provide crucial feedback to various accelerator control systems.
As an electrical/electronic engineer or applied physicist in the TM section, you will take an active part in the work related to the test and magnetic measurements of normal and superconducting magnets, including:
- Design, manufacture, and metrological characterization of hardware and software components of test systems for super- and normal-conducting magnets.
- Execution of test and measurement campaigns in our section’s laboratories and throughout the CERN accelerator complex. Post-processing analysis of test results and compilation of test reports. Software integration of quality assurance structures.
- Development of embedded and distributed software and firmware for electronic components, and database interfaces.
- Development and maintenance of the dedicated software framework developed for data acquisition and controls.
- Development and maintenance of the ROXIE software for magnetic design. Innovative use of infrastructure for software development such as GitLab, and scripting languages to link ROXIE with commercial software for multi-physics simulations.
After an initial period including on-the-job training, you will be expected to:
- Contribute to upcoming test campaigns for various CERN and collaboration projects.
- Interface effectively with magnet designers, beam operation teams, mechanical and electric support personnel and other magnet test specialists.
- Take charge of the development and maintenance of critical software and firmware of real-time and off-line test and magnetic measurement systems.
- Take charge of the development and maintenance of multi-physics simulation and analysis software for accelerator magnets.
- Supervise technical/doctoral students for software development.
Senior Specialist, Testing Operations, School Of Continuing Education, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 22 days ago
Reports to: Manager, Testing Operations and Services Purpose: The purpose of the job is to provide administrative and technical support for the testing operations activities and services. The job...
59762: 3 Computer Scientists, Software Engineers Or Similar (F/M/X) C++ Software Development For Operational Processing Systems In The Context Of The Eu Copernicus Atmospheric Mission Sentinel 5, Helmholtz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
In the framework of the EU Copernicus Sentinel-5 mission and the AC-SAF project, DLR’s Remote Sensing Technology Institute plays a leading role in the development of processing systems and algorit...
Test Lead Esr, ESR, New Zealand, 30 minutes ago
TEST LEAD PORIRUA Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR) About ESR ESR is a company that develops innovative solutions critical to the world of environmental health and forensic...
Military Education Coordinator Fort Gordon, Ga, University of Maryland University College, United States, about 24 hours ago
The Military Education Coordinator will report to the Assistant Director (or Director) in the Office of Stateside Military Operations and work closely with military education centers to serve pros...
Postdoc / Staff Scientist (F/M/X) In Computer Aided, Structure Based Drug Discovery , Helmholtz Zentrum München ;, Germany, 18 days ago
At our institute you will find a scientifically stimulating international environment. Together with renowned scientists and supported by an excellent infrastructure you will have the opportuni...
Software Developer, University of Alberta, Canada, about 17 hours ago
This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority considerat...