100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Public Policy Group and the Immigration Policy Lab at the Department of Humanities, Social and Political Sciences, invite applications for 2 postdoctoral positions in quantitative immigration research (1+ 2 years fixed term).
You will be part of a collaborative team committed to rigorous research along the entire integration journey of immigrants and refugees: from their initial entry to a new host country, through their time as foreign citizens to their (potential) naturalization. We study the effects of policies and design and test interventions to improve the well-being and integration of immigrants and strengthen their host communities. To do so, we combine data from registers, surveys and online behaviour with causal inference and machine learning methods to bring new evidence to bear on the urgent problems policymakers and practitioners face.
We are looking for two complementary job profiles, both dedicated to rigorous quantitative analyses using advanced statistical methods.
- your primary task is to design and implement randomized-controlled trials of integration interventions and analyze natural experiments using recent advances in experimental design and methods for causal inference.
- your focus is on text analysis using state-of-the-art methods in natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) to analyze newspaper articles, social media, and online comments.
With either profile you will be involved in all aspects of the research, but with a particular emphasis on study design, data analysis, and preparation of manuscripts for leading peer-reviewed journals. You will conduct your projects in close collaboration with other members of the Immigration Policy Lab and have the opportunity to work with its core and affiliated faculty from the Zurich and Stanford branches. However, you will also have time to develop your own independent projects related to immigration and integration policy evaluation. In addition, you will have minor teaching responsibilities (about 10% of your time).
- Doctorate in a social science program with a preference for Political Science, Economics, or Sociology (degree must be completed at the time of appointment)
- Graduate-level knowledge of advanced causal inference methods and applied statistics
- Experience in running and analyzing field experiments and/or conducting quasi-experimental studies
- Doctorate in a social science program with a preference for Political Science, Economics, or Sociology OR doctorate in computer or data science (NLP) with a focus on social science research questions (degree must be completed at the time of appointment)
- Graduate-level knowledge of applied NLP methods (topic models, word embedding models, transformers etc.)
- Working knowledge of causal inference methods
- Ability to collaborate effectively with project team members and external stakeholders alike
- Proficiency and excellent writing skills in English
- Knowledge of immigration and integration policy are highly valued.
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits. The initial appointment will be for one year beginning between August and September 2023, with an expected renewal for up to two more years contingent on satisfactory performance. The salary is competitive and will be paid according to ETH standards . In addition, the lab provides a generous research and travel allowance.chevron_right Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application including the following documents:
- a cover letter
- graduate school transcripts
- and a writing sample
- At least two (confidential) letters of recommendation should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Letter of Recommendation).
Only applications submitted through our online application portal are accepted. Applicants should be prepared to complete a research design and data analysis exercise as part of the interview process. Applications review will begin on January 9th 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
If you have questions about the positionplease contact the head of the group, Dominik Hangartner by email: email@example.com (Subject: ETH Postdoc 2023). For more information on the Public Policy Group and the Immigration Policy Lab , please visit our websites.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Postdoctoral Researcher In Computational Metabolomics , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 6 days ago
Department of Chemistry Postdoctoral Researcher in Computational Metabolomics 80-100 % The Fenner Group at the University of Zurich is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in Computational Metabo...
Postdoc Position In Solar Fuels , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 9 days ago
Department of Chemistry Postdoc Position in Solar Fuels 80 % A postdoctoral position is available in the research group of Prof. Dr. David Tilley at the University of Zurich. Your responsibilities ...
Research Assistant In Chemical Data Science , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 6 days ago
Department of Chemistry Research Assistant in Chemical Data Science 80-100 % The Fenner group at the University of Zurich is looking for a research assistant in Chemical Data Science to contribute...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Microbial Bioengineering , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 15 days ago
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology Postdoctoral researcher in microbial bioengineering 100 % The head quarter of the Department of Plant and Microbial Biology (IPMB) is located in the beauti...
Field Research Assistant (Hourly Rate) , University of Basel, Switzerland, 20 days ago
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University...
Postdoc Position In New Single Molecule Proteomics Methods , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 6 days ago
Department of Chemistry Postdoc Position in New Single-Molecule Proteomics Methods 90 % The Laboratory of Chemical and Biological Probes (Prof. Rivera-Fuentes) is looking for a postdoctoral researc...