Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Medical Sciences is a large clinical institution with more than 250 employees and over 300 additional coworkers connected via the Uppsala University Hospital. The department has a broad research profile with strong research groups in a number of different areas. The research carried out at the department is performed in close connection with the clinical activities at the Uppsala University Hospital, which includes both basic studies on the causes of a variety of illnesses and the development and evaluation of improved diagnostics and new treatment methods. More information about the Department of Medical Sciences can be found at www.medsci.uu.se .
The research group Molecular Epidemiology at the Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University is led by Professor Tove Fall. The group integrates information from large population-based studies with molecular measurements and both traditional and novel epidemiological methods to study how chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease are connected to genetic variation, circulating biomarkers such as proteins or metabolites, or phenotype or organ function that can be estimated using imaging diagnostic methods such as ultrasound or MRI. Different lifestyle traits are also studied in the group. In our research, we combine data from several different sources, including data registries and cohort studies that include analyses of DNA, circulating proteins and metabolites. Furthermore, we research the association of intestinal microbiota with non-communicable diseases, and more recently we are investigating transmission of SARS-Cov-2 and the relationship between symptoms of COVID-19 and chronic diseases. The group consists of about 15 people, including one senior statistician, one bioinformatician and one research coordinator. The office space is located within the new Epidemiology Hub at Dag Hammarskjölds väg 14 (“EpiHubben”), where about 40 active epidemiologists and statisticians have their work place, enabling collaboration and support.
Additional information about the Molecular Epidemiology/Fall research group can be found via https://www.medsci.uu.se/research/molecular-epidemiology/ and information about Epihubben via https://medfarm.uu.se/news/news-item/?id=17036&typ=artikel&lang=en
Description of the work: We are looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented statistician with experience working with molecular data (“-omics”) and/or large observational studies based on human data.
The tasks include planning and conducting statistical analyses in various research projects together with the other scientists. Some methods that are often used are generalized linear models (logistic, Poisson), mixed models, survival analysis, LASSO, adjustments for multiple testing, and Mendelian randomization. The work will be in close collaboration with the senior statistician in the team.
An important part (about 50% of the worktime for the first three years) will consist of planning and performing statistical analyses together with Dr. Shafqat Ahmad who leads a FORMAS-funded project. The aim of the project is to investigate the role of dietary meat intake in relation to gut microbiota and plasma metabolite signatures and whether these biomarkers associate with the future risk of cardiometabolic disease. The research is conducted within SCAPIS (Swedish CArdioPulmonary bioImage Study), which is a unique Swedish research project within the field of cardiovascular and pulmonary disease with 31,100 participants between the ages of 50 and 64 years.
- Statistical analysis in different research projects
- Document performed analyses, data management and results
- Support the research group with expertise in statistical matters
- University diploma at the BSc level or higher in a relevant subject (e.g. statistics, medicine, biology, bioinformatics)
- Education in statistical methods and theory at BSc, MSc, or PhD level
- The applicant should have a few years of experience working with data from observational studies in humans
- Experience with using command-line software for statistical analysis, preferably Stata or R
- Experience with, and knowledge in, applying statistical methods such as multivariable regression analyses, and ability to discuss their proper usage
- Experience with careful documentation of analyses, methods, and results
- Ability to work independently, methodically and structured
- Ability to collaborate in an international group
- The applicant should also be able to share their knowledge with colleagues that requires high proficiency in written and oral communication in English
- The person should also be service-minded
- Education and experience in bioinformatics, epidemiology, medicine, or biology
- Experience working with large data sets in a server environment (UNIX)
- Experience with Mendelian randomization
- Experience working with diet data, genetics, metabolomics, or microbiome studies
- Authorship in high-quality peer-reviewed scientific publications
- Ability to communicate in written and oral Swedish
Application: The application, written in English or Swedish, includes:
- Letter of interest describing yourself, your research interests and your motivation to apply for the position of statistician (max 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Copy of your Bachelor’s or Master degree certificate (diploma), course grades, and a copy of a thesis or a research publication
- Names and contact information for two reference persons
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Permanent employment with 6 months trial period.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
For further information about the position please contact: Tove Fall, email@example.com.
Please submit your application by September 29, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/3181.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Medical Sciences
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Pay: Individual salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/3181
Last application date: 2021-09-29
Login and apply
1 3 System Developers (Dev Ops)Uppsala University Application Deadline: November 22, 2021view, SciLifeLab, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevanc...
Statistician In Pharmacoepidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 11 days ago
Do you want to contribute to better health for all? We are looking for a skilled and driven statistician or epidemiologist who would like to be a part of a dynamic research environment at the inte...
Bioanalytical Scientist Uppsala University Application Deadline: October 25, 2021view, SciLifeLab, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
Uppsala University, Department of Pharmacy Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and r...
Researcher 12 Months, Swedish Agriculture Climate Neutral In A Life Cycle Assessment, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
At the Department of Energy and Technology, research and education are conducted focusing on how agriculture can contribute to a sustainable society. We have extensive expertise in technology and ...
Statistician/Biometrician (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 10 days ago
At the Leibniz Institute for Prevention Research and Epidemiology – BIPS we have an opening in the Department of Biometry and Data Management within the Research Group “Statistical Methods for Cau...
Biostatistician (Part Time), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 3 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Medicine, Solna, is one of the largest departments at Karolinska Institutet and is organized in several research divisi...