Sapere Aude—dare to be wise—is our motto. Our students and employees develop knowledge and expertise that enrich both people and the world around them. Our academic environment is characterised by curiosity, courage and perseverance. Gender equality, diversity and a democratic approach form the foundation of our organisation. We are located in an active and scenic region and we promote sustainable development in close collaboration with the wider society.
Karlstad University has a total of approximately 1,400 employees and 19,000 students spread across two inspiring campus environments in Karlstad and Arvika.
More information at: kau.se/en/work-with-us
The Faculty of Health, Science and Technology announces a position as Senior Lecturer in Physics, at the Department of Engineering and Physics. The specialisation is in condensed matter theory, within which all areas can be considered, for example materials physics, topological phases of matter, strongly correlated systems, soft condensed matter and quantum information/computation with applications to condensed matter.
The Department of Engineering and Physics has a friendly, inspiring and international atmosphere, with many colleagues from different parts of the world. Physics is one of three subjects at the Department, that in total has about 60 employees, of which 11 are full professors. We offer, among other things, a PhD programme in physics and materials engineering, degree programs in physics, engineering physics, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering, as well as teacher education in physics and technology.
The theoretical physics group has a broad scope of research interests encompassing material science, soft condensed matter, quantum phases of matter, high-energy and mathematical physics. Some of the theoretical physicists are actively involved in collaborations with the researchers in experimental physics at Karlstad University.
Main duties are
- Developing, leading and participating in research projects in condensed matter theory, including applications for research funding
- Collaborate nationally and internationally in research and education
- Participate in supervision of doctoral students in the PhD programme in Physics
- Teaching and assessment in our physics and engineering programs
- Create, develop and manage education and courses
Duties include administrative tasks.
You are expected to collaborate with the wider community for a mutual benefit, as well as working towards ensuring that the knowledge and expertise available at the university is of benefit to society.
To contribute to a positive work environment and further the department’s activities, you are expected to be a present and active part of the day-to-day operations and workplace community.
To be eligible for the position of senior lecturer in physics, applicants are required to have demonstrated teaching expertise. A Degree of Doctor or equivalent academic expertise is also required, in Physics or in a closely related subject.
A further requirement is excellent communication skills in writing and speaking English. To teach at Karlstad University, a candidate ought to be able to teach in both English and Swedish. Candidates without Swedish proficiency are eligible to be hired provided they are able to actively acquire this proficiency in the future.
Pursuant to the Karlstad University Appointments Procedure, teachers must have the personal qualities required to perform the duties involved, as well as a completed course in higher education pedagogy. Candidates who have not completed a course in higher education pedagogy may still be hired, provided that they use the time allotted to continual professional development to do so within two years of employment, or that they apply for validation of prior learning. For other eligibility requirements, refer to Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure: https://www.kau.se/files/2022-04/Regulations for the appointment and promotion of teaching staff(Anstallningsordning) ENG (002).pdf
In the assessment of research expertise and teaching expertise, equal weight will be given to the two.
Special weight will be given to demonstrated proficiency and experience in:
- Independently, as well as in collaboration with others, developing and implementing research activities in condensed matter theory, in particular in any of the areas materials physics, topological phases of matter, strongly correlated systems, soft condensed matter and quantum information/computation with applications to condensed matter
- Attracting research funding
- Teaching and assessment in higher education courses in physics
Considerable weight will be given to:
- Proven skills in developing, conducting and managing education activities
- Proven skills to supervise doctoral students
- Personal qualities such as the ability to cooperate, taking initiative, being result-oriented, and taking responsibility. You are engaged and have a positive attitude towards colleagues and students.
- Documented current experience in collaborating with the wider community, both in research and in teaching, as well as communicating research and development efforts.
Weight will be given to:
- Experience from international employment or involvement in national and international networks, e.g. post-doctoral experience
The position is permanent and full-time, beginning June 2024, or by agreement.
Submit the application via the University’s web-based recruitment tool, Varbi. For advice on how to draft your application, refer to “What should be included with my application?”.
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application in accordance with the advertisement, for providing translations of any documents written in a language other than Swedish or English, and for ensuring that the documentation allows for objective and qualitative assessments. A complete application should be submitted by the application deadline. An incomplete application may jeopardise a fair assessment of qualifications.
The application should include:
- cover letter with description of qualifications and research interests of relevance to the position
- an in-depth account of teaching experience. The documentation should include certificates and qualitative statements from director of studies, or equivalent
- verification of a completed course in higher education pedagogy, if such is completed or an account of equivalent skills
- an in-depth account of research experience
- an account of other experiences
- an account of managerial and administrative experience
- plans for future work
- an account of collaborations, experience in international networks etc.
- a list of publications (in multi-authored publications, the role of the applicant must be specified)
- an account of language proficiency
- copies of course transcripts, degree certificates, and other certificates
- no more than 10 scientific publications and no more than 5 materials intended to convey knowledge, such as textbooks, computer programs for teaching, or popular science articles
- two references, at least one of which is a current or former supervisor
Attach all the documents and publications you wish to be considered to the electronic application (do not just provide links). Name each uploaded document to clearly indicate its content.
Documents that cannot be submitted electronically, such as books or publications, should be sent in triplicate to the following address:
651 88 Karlstad
Application deadline: December 10, 2023
State the reference no: REK2023/212
We look forward to your application!
Karlstad University has chosen advertising channels for this recruitment and firmly declines any contact with advertising or recruitment agencies.
Senior Lecturer In Materials Engineering, Specialising In Tribology, Karlstads universitet, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
25 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Karlstads universitet Department Fakulteten för hälsa, natur- och teknikvetenskap Research Field Engineering » Materials engineering Researcher Pro...
Associate Senior Lecturer In Special Education, Karlstads universitet, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
25 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Karlstads universitet Department Karlstads universitet / Institutionen för pedagogiska studier Research Field Educational sciences Researcher Profi...
Professor Of Sociology, Karlstads universitet, Sweden, 1 day ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Karlstads universitet Department Karlstad Universitet Research Field Sociology Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Sweden Applicatio...
Research Engineer, Computer Science, Karlstads universitet, Sweden, 24 days ago
2 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Karlstads universitet Department Faculty of Health, Science and Technology Research Field Computer science Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher...
Condensed Matter Theory And Quantum Information M/F, CNRS, France, 2 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company CNRS Department Direction des ressources humaines Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country France Application ...
1 Position Of Full Professor At The Department Of Physics Area: Experimental Physics Of Matter, University of Trento, Italy, 25 days ago
31 Jan 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Trento Department Department of Physics Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Researcher (R4) ...