About the English Unit
The post will be based at the English unit within section 4 of the Centre for Languages and Literature. The English unit consists of more than 20 professors, researchers, lecturers, postdocs, and doctoral students with a variety of specialisms within English literature and linguistics (https://www.sol.lu.se/en/subjects/engelska/research/ ). In recent years, the teacher training programme, academic writing, and English for specific purposes have also become important aspects of our work.
English linguistics at the Centre for Languages and Literature is a diverse and thriving research environment which produces work on grammar, semantics, pragmatics, language acquisition and language learning. Our research uses both experimental and textual (corpus-based) methods and is often conducted in collaboration with researchers from other fields, both nationally and internationally. We host both linguistics and interdisciplinary seminars, and we work closely with the Centre’s innovative Humanities Laboratory (https://www.ht.lu.se/en/the-faculties/organisation/units/humanities-lab/ ).
The senior lecturer will primarily teach, supervise, and develop courses in English linguistics on the undergraduate level, but may also be given similar duties at the master’s and doctoral levels. The successful applicant will bring expertise in corpus linguistics to research projects and to teaching on various levels. They will have broad and deep knowledge of English linguistics and the ability to teach courses and supervise essays within many areas of the subject, including grammar, semantics, phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, pragmatics, language history, sociolinguistics, and language learning. They will also be able to teach language proficiency courses and courses in academic writing.
The senior lecturer may also be required to teach courses and modules aimed at people who do not normally study English, and to teach contrastive (English-Swedish) modules, for example within the translation programme. Teaching duties for this post will not exceed 70% of working hours.
In terms of research, the successful applicant will have an excellent track record within central areas of English linguistics (especially syntax, semantics, morphology, phonetics, and phonology) and a background in corpus linguistics. Relevant theoretical and methodological expertise beyond these areas is also welcome. A minimum of 20% of working hours are set aside for research.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an interest in researching and teaching historical linguistics, as this is an area the English unit is seeking to strengthen.
The English unit expects employees to engage with colleagues in the workplace. Senior lecturers are expected to participate in unit and section meetings at the Centre for Languages and Literature, and to collaborate with colleagues in ensuring quality and the development of the subject. They are also expected to play an active role in research seminars.
Qualifications and assessment
For appointment as a senior lecturer, applicants are required to have:
- been awarded a PhD in English language and linguistics or have the corresponding research expertise or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve,
- demonstrated teaching expertise, and
- completed at least five weeks of training in teaching and learning in higher education or acquired equivalent competence by other means.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Documented experience of high-quality, corpus-based linguistic research
- Documented, extensive experience of undergraduate and master’s level teaching and supervision within English linguistics at university.
While the teaching and supervision for this post will be conducted in English, senior lecturers who do not speak Swedish, Danish or Norwegian are expected to learn adequate Swedish within two years of appointment.
- the degree of research, teaching, administrative and other expertise that is of value in view of the work duties and subject matter of the post as well as other personal skills of relevance to perform the duties well.
- a good international standing as a researcher,
- good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities at different levels and using a variety of teaching methods,
- an ability to participate in supervising doctoral students,
- an ability to participate in and develop public engagement and other outreach activities, as well as otherwise lead and develop activities.
Specific qualifications in descending order of importance:
- documented expertise in corpus linguistics
- documented ability to obtain external funding
- documented experience of teaching the history of the English language
- previous experience of web-based teaching and development of web-based courses
- excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to co-teach courses as part of a team
Teaching and research expertise are of equal importance for the position.
The application is to comply with the instructions available on https://www.ht.lu.se/en/the-faculties/ academic-vacancies/instructions-for-applicants/ . The applicant is responsible for ensuring that the application is complete according to the vacancy announcement and the instructions, and that all required documents have been received by the University through its recruitment portal by the stated deadline.
The academic appointments board normally makes a selection among the applications which are then sent to the external experts for assessment. In connection with this decision, the academic appointments board may request that the applicants submit physical copies, within 14 days, of the publications they have listed in their applications.
Assistant Professor English Sociohistorical Linguistics, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for a: Assistant Professor English Sociohistorical Linguistics (0,80 FTE) Vacancy number: 22-027 105...
Assistant Professorship With Tenure Track In Descriptive And Anthropological Linguistics , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
Department of Comparative Language Science Assistant Professorship with Tenure Track in Descriptive and Anthropological Linguistics The University of Zurich invites applications for an assistant pr...
Language Lecturer In Eap , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
POSITION OVERVIEW Institution: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University School: Languages Department: English Language Centre Position Title: Language Lecturer in EAP (Associate Language Lecturer, Lang...
Lecturer, Centre For English Language Communication, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
Job Description The Centre for English Language Communication (CELC), National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications for the following full-time non-tenure educator track teaching pos...
History Science Intern, Texas, Environment for the Americas, United States, 19 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyEnvironment for the AmericasLocationPadre Island (Corpus Christi), TXJob CategoryInternshipsSalary$640/week ...
Instructor, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Mas...