An appointment as Senior Lecturer in mycology with focus on the biodiversity and ecological roles of fungi is vacant at the Department of Forest Mycology & Plant pathology at SLU, Uppsala.
The department of Forest Mycology & Plant Pathology offers a stimulating,international research environment. Research at the department focuses on fundamental and applied aspects of microorganism-plant interactions, such as mycology, microbial ecology and evolution. Forest and plant pathology, biodiversity, microbial ecology, and nutrient turnover in agricultural and forest ecosystems are central areas. The position is focused on the diversity and ecological roles of fungi. Ongoing research in the subject focuses on the ecology of mycorrhizae, wood inhabiting and pathogenic fungi, biodiversity, population and community biology, interactions with other organisms, functions of fungi and applied conservation biology, and includes systematics and identification of fungi. The department is responsible for and participates in the teaching of mycology on several programs and courses. Furthermore, extensive collaboration with external stakeholders and society at large is of great importance at the department.
Read more about the department at https://www.slu.se/en/departments/forest-mycology-plantpathology/ .
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at SLU at https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/ .
The subject for the position is mycology with a focus on the biodiversity and ecological roles of fungi.
The research shall cover both fundamental and applied aspects with relevance for forestry, agriculture and natural ecosystems. The subject may include the biodiversity and ecology of fungi, interactions with other organisms, population and community dynamics, functional ecology of fungi and conservation biology.
The holder of the position shall:
• act in accordance with the vision, goals and values of SLU,
• develop and lead internationally successful research within the subject area,
• apply for external funding in competition at national and international level,
• lead, develop and participate in teaching and supervision of students at all levels,
• teach in Swedish on basic courses in mycology and conservation biology,
• supervise PhD students and postdocs,
• collaborate with researchers within the department, faculty and other parts of SLU, as well as nationally and internationally,
• collaborate and develop regional, national and international networks with the surrounding society, and
• disseminate research findings.
The applicant must:
• have a doctoral degree within a relevant subject or their equivalent scientific competence,
• be scientifically skilled within the subject area for this appointment,
• be pedagogically skilled, and
• have good knowledge of Swedish and English.
Assessment criteria for appointment of a Senior Lecturer will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
• completed research activities and ongoing research within the subject,
• future research vision within the subject area,
• ability to independently initiate, lead and develop innovative research,
• publications in scientific journals with relevance to the subject,
• ability to attract external research funding in competition, and
• ability to supervise and examine at doctoral level and supervise postdocs.
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider:
• ability to plan, conduct and evaluate their own teaching at all levels,
• ability to supervise and examine undergraduate and graduate students,
• ability to convey and implement their pedagogical vision,
• ability to integrate research and scientific approaches into teaching, and
• completed training in teaching and learning in higher education or equivalent.
The assessment of other skills will consider:
• ability to develop and manage academic units and staff,
• ability to communicate within and outside academia,
• ability to collaborate with external stakeholders and society at large, and
• cooperation skill.
Specific competence in species knowledge, ecology, conservation biology about macrofungi and lichens with relevance for the subject mycology is especially meritorious.
The position will be offered to the person who, after a qualitative overall assessment, is assessed to be most suitable to carry out and develop the above-mentioned duties and to contribute to the positive development of the organization.
Application deadline: 2023-10-24
Place of work: Uppsala
Form of employment: Permanent
Starting date: By agreement
It is desirable that the application is written in English, because the applications will be evaluated by expert advisers both in Sweden and abroad.
"Appointment procedures for teachers at SLU" and “General assessment criteria for the appointment of teachers" can be found here .
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) has a key role in the development for sustainable life, based on science and education. Through our focus on the interaction between humans, animals and ecosystems and the responsible use of natural resources, we contribute to sustainable societal development and good living conditions on our planet. Our main campuses are located in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, however, the university also operates at research stations, experimental forests and teaching sites throughout Sweden.
SLU has around 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and doctoral students and a turnover of over SEK 3 billion. We are investing in attractive environments on all of our campuses. We strive to provide a work environment characterised by inclusivity and gender equality, where different experiences generate conversations between people and pave the way for science, creativity and development. Therefore, we welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=8920&rmlang=UK
Associate Senior Lecturer (Assistant Professor) In Conservation Ecology With A Focus On The Effects Of Forestry On Ground Vegetation, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 3 days ago
5 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Sweden A...
Postdoctor In Fibreboard Recycling, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 24 days ago
14 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Chemistry » Biochemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application Dead...
Research Technician In The Field Of Ecology Of Woody Plants And Invertebrate Predators, Mendel University in Brno, Czech, 24 days ago
14 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Mendel University in Brno Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Czech Repub...
Scientist In “Computational Geo Ecology” 80–100% (W/M/D), Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL, Switzerland, 10 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL Research Field Environmental science » Earth science Environmental science » Ec...
Fungal Taxonomy Assistant, Harvard University, United States, 19 days ago
15-Nov-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 64212BR Job Summary The Farlow Herbarium (FH) through Harvard University seeks to hire a Fungal Taxonomy Assistant to work on a National Science Foundation...
Process/Mechanical Engineer Scion, Scion, New Zealand, 19 days ago
Rotorua, New Zealand 3 Month, Fixed Term Position, 40 hours per week Scion is a Crown Research Institute dedicated to using science and technology to develop innovative solutions to the world's mo...