Department of Animal Environment and Health
The Department of Animal Environment and Health has approximately 70 employees mainly in Skara, which is located in Sweden's most densely farmed area, as well as in Uppsala and Gothenburg. Agronomists, ethologists, veterinarians, biologists, ethicists and technical and administrative staff work here. The department is responsible for SLU Götala beef and lamb research facility, which is located just outside Skara.
The department is responsible for both basic and applied research in animal environment and health, ethology, animal welfare, animal ethics, meat science, ruminant nutrition, agricultural economics and animal production systems. The research is carried out in collaboration with e.g. agricultural industry, authorities and other universities within regional, national and international networks.
The department educates students in biology, animal science, veterinary medicine, and animal care programs, at the undergraduate, advanced, and graduate levels.
Visit us at Department of Animal Environment and Health | Externwebben (slu.se) and at the External webb (slu.se )
The subject covers preventive animal health, protection and welfare with focus on epidemiology of management- and housing-related diseases at herd and group level for the food-producing animals commonly found in Sweden, especially pigs.
The holder of the position should within the subject area
- lead and contribute to developing internationally successful research
- supervise PhD students and students/candidates undergoing residency
- develop, manage and participate in teaching at basic and advanced level, including doctoral level
- actively participate in clinical work and teaching
- collaborate with other research groups within SLU to strengthen the interdisciplinary operations at the university, especially clinical aspects of pig health
- develop and maintain national and international networks and collaborations with academia, relevant agencies, industries, organizations and society at large
- distribute research results and other relevant information to society
- apply for external research funding at national and international level
- participate in and enhance the strategic development of the department, faculty and SLU
- carry out administrative assignments within the department, faculty and university
- have Swedish as a working language within four years
Swedish and English are used in parallel at the department. The successful applicant will need to be able to conduct the majority of their duties in English. However, as Swedish is the university’s principal language, the successful applicant will be expected to have professional working knowledge of the Swedish language within four years of taking up the position. The department will provide support with language learning.
The successful applicant shall
- have Swedish veterinary identification, or be entitled to obtain one upon application in accordance with current applicable legislation, regulations and directives*
- hold a doctorate or equivalent academic qualifications in a subject relevant to the position
- demonstrate research expertise within the subject area
- demonstrate teaching expertise and have the ability to integrate research and scientific perspectives in teaching
- have documented current clinical experience in the subject of the position
- have a good knowledge of English
*Act (2009:302 ) on activities within animal health care ch. 3. Qualification rules, the Swedish Agency for Agriculture's regulations and general advice on qualifications for animal health personnel (SJVFS 2016:9 ) ch. 2. Qualification as a veterinarian, as well as European Parliament and Council Directive (2005/36/EC ) of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications.
Assessment of the applicant’s suitability for employment as associate professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the qualifications required for the position.
The assessment of research expertise will take into account the following:
- completed research initiatives and ongoing research
- ability to independently initiate and conduct successful internationally recognized research
- ability to obtain external research funding in competition
- competence as associate professor (docent) or equivalent academic qualifications in a subject relevant to the position
- have international Veterinary Medicine specialist competence (diplomate) in a subject relevant to the position
The assessment of teaching expertise will take into account the following:
- planning, implementation, examination and evaluation of own teaching
- supervision and examination at basic, advanced level, , including doctoral level
- the ability to integrate research and scientific approaches into the pedagogical work
- training in teaching and learning in higher education, covering 10 weeks, or have acquired equivalent knowledge in other ways
- pedagogic vision and reflection
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the applicant’s expertise in
- developing and managing activities and staff within the academy
- collaboration with external stakeholders and society at large
- communicating research and development work
- internal communication and collaboration
- counseling within the subject animal environment and health
The position will be offered to the person who, after a qualitative overall assessment, is assessed to be most suitable to carry out and develop the above mentioned duties and to contribute to the positive development of the organization.
This position offers the vibrant research climate at SLU. The benefits of the position include Swedish family health care provisions, parenting support including generous paid leave of absence policies that allow both parents to care for newborns and toddlers. Additionally Sweden has a well-established pre-school structure as well as an educational system that provides no-cost education through university studies. Find out more facts and stories about Sweden at www.sweden.se
Place of work
Form of employment
* Swedish: ‘universitetslektor’, a tenured position approximately equivalent to Senior Lecturer (UK) or Associate Professor (US). The successful applicant will be employed as Senior Lecturer.
For the guidance of your application, there is SLU's appointment procedure for teachers at SLU and General assessment criteria for the appointment of teachers, which you can read here
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=8089&rmlang=UK
Internship Or Residency Position, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 28 days ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application ...
Postdoctor In Aquatic Ecology, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 19 days ago
18 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Applicati...
Research Support Technician, Colony Management Program, City of Hope, United States, 1 day ago
About City of Hope City of Hope's mission is to deliver the cures of tomorrow to the people who need them today. Founded in 1913, City of Hope has grown into one of the largest cancer research an...
Animal Care Technician Iv (Epc Lawrenceville), Emory University, United States, 26 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Professor In Veterinary Public Health (Vph) With Emphasis On Food Safety, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 6 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Medical sciences » Veterinary medicine Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Sweden Appli...
Animal Technician I, Harvard University, United States, 8 days ago
26-May-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 62665BR Job Summary Explore an Animal Care Career at Harvard University Cambridge where our animal care programs commitment to excellence in research is un...