Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 46 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
Project title: How molecules of different length influences bindning in cell contacts.
Background: The aim with the project is to use advanced fluorescence microscopy to study bindning across cell contacts, and specifically how binding between T cell receptors and the MHC complex on immune cells is influenced by other binding pairs in the contact and their effective height. Binding between T-cell receptors and MHC is the first step in activating a T cell and it is important to be able to characterize this interaction under biologically relevant conditions in order to better understand how T cells are activated. The project will be conducted at the Division of Physical Chemistry, Lund University, under the supervision of Assoc. Prof. Peter Jönsson https://www.physchem.lu.se/people/seniors/joensson/.
The main aim with the project is to characterize the interaction between T-cell receptors and MHC in simplified cell contacts using advanced fluorescence microscopy. This includes in particular:
- Cell culturing and handling of cells expressing different types of receptors including MHC (these cells are already available for the project).
- Fabrication of artificial cell membranes called SLBs with different composition of ligands to bind receptors on contacting cells.
- Fluorescence microscopy (TIRF, FRAP, single molecule microscopy) to quantify binding in cell-SLB contacts.
- Image analysis and quantification of the binding data.
- Other binding studies in cell-SLB contacts can also be performed during the project.
Applicants must have:
- A PhD or equivalent research qualification within the subject of the position.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Experience in working with cells and cell culturing.
- Experience of advanced flourescence microscopy (TIRF, FRAP and single molecule microscopy).
- Experience of image analysis.
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
- Experience in using and making SLBs.
- Experience in studying and quantifying binding in cell contacts, in particular cell-SLB contacts using fluorescence microscopy.
- Experience of working with ligands and receptors on T cells.
- Experience of Zhu-Golan analysis of binding affinity.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a PDF-file containing:
- résumé/CV, including a list of publications,
- a general description of past research and future research interests (no more than three pages),
- contact information of at least two references,
- copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered.
Postdoc Position (E13) At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) With Flexible Starting Date (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
Postdoc position (E13) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) with flexible starting date (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.r...
Postdoc Position In The ‘Cell And Tissue Dynamics’ Group, Centre for Genomic Regulation, Spain, about 20 hours ago
The Institute The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. T...
Research Assistant In Cell Biology And Biochemistry , University of Basel, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
Research Assistant in Cell Biology and Biochemistry (100%) As of June 2023 or upon agreement The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading Life Sciences Institutes in the world. ...
Job Opportunity: Postdoctoral Research Associates Or Senior Research Associates, Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine, Vanderbilt University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Posted by hagansa2 on Tuesday, March 7, 2023 in Announcements , Job Opportunities . Brief Description Postdoctoral Research Associates or Senior Research Associates are avai...
Doctoral Researcher (F/Div/M) In T Cell Immunology, Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The Leibniz Center for Photonics in Infection Research (LPI, www.lpi-jena.de ) is a project of the National Roadmap for Research Infrastructures of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (...
Research Assistant Vaahtomeri Lab At Translational Cancer Medicine Research Program, University of Helsinki, Finland, 22 days ago
The research group led by Dr. Kari Vaahtomeri at the Translational Cancer Medicine Program, Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki and Wihuri Research Institute, Finland, invites applications...