Ref. No. SU FV-4147-22
at the Department of Environmental Science . Closing date: 12 December 2022.
The Department of Environmental Science (ACES) is one of the biggest departments at the Faculty of Science. The department is divided into four units with more than 170 researchers, teachers, doctoral students, and technical/administrative staff from over 30 countries. Research and teaching focuse on chemical contaminants, atmospheric science, biogeochemistry, and (eco)toxicology. As an employee of the Department of Environmental Science, you will be part of a dynamic environment with research in leading research areas and a strong international profile.
The Exposure and Effects Unit has several research groups broadly addressing the hazardous potential of contaminants in biota. Our activities in ecotoxicology include method development to identify and quantify adverse effects, bioassays, monitoring studies, and building models to predict population responses. Integrating laboratory assays, field studies, monitoring and modeling improves our understanding of response mechanisms and adaptation to toxic substances and other stressors, such as climatic factors, eutrophication, hypoxia, and nutrient imbalances.
The main responsibility is to maintain and supervise laboratory culture facilities for experimental ecotoxicology, and to run these facilities in collaboration with the current needs of the research groups in the unit and the department. Specific responsibilities and expectations include the following:
- Maintain stock cultures of algae and invertebrates and coordinate access to these for research at the department
- Be responsible for following the safety regulations and best practices in chemical and biological safety, contribute to and ensure compliance with field- and lab-based risk assessments, maintain documentation and provide expertise on the risks of specific assays to researchers and students
- Maintain inventories of chemicals using the system for managing chemicals at Stockholm University; assist in equipment inventories
- Maintain protocols for ecotoxicological assays following existing guidelines, introduce students and newcomers to the methods, and assist in developing new protocols for specific research projects
- Conduct fieldwork, including benthos sampling, in short cruises (2-5 days) in the Baltic Sea
- Facilitate interactions within our international group of researchers and students in the laboratory
- Take responsibility for operation/maintenance of instrumentation, supervise the safe and efficient use of existing instrumentation and consumables in the ecotoxicological laboratory
- Take initiative for the timely procurement of consumables, equipment, and other resources needed for the core facility of the unit.
We are looking for someone with an MSc or Ph.D. and at least one year of research experience in ecology, ecotoxicology, or similar. The successful candidate must have good practical and theoretical knowledge of bioassays and basic ecotoxicological techniques. In addition, experience in bioassays with algae, Daphnia, and amphipods as well as fieldwork with benthos is desirable. Great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities, such as a positive attitude and the ability to work together with students and diverse multidisciplinary staff. Other specific qualifications include:
- Interest in experimental studies in ecotoxicology, basic knowledge of chemistry, and of spectrofluorometric methods
- Experience working with chemicals in laboratory settings, and minimizing the risk of chemical hazards in the laboratory
- Computer literacy (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and basic skills in statistics and quality assurance
- Experience in project management and working in scientific teams, good organizational and collaborative skills
- Ability to communicate professionally, objectively, and clearly with employees and collaborators
- Good knowledge of English and Swedish in both speech and writing.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, indefinite-term position with a six-month trial period. Salaries at Stockholm University are determined individually; therefore, please indicate your requested salary. Start date immediately.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from the Head of the Department, Professor Magnus Breitholtz, telephone: +46 706 00 26 86, firstname.lastname@example.org , and Professor Elena Gorokhova, telephone +46 737 51 01 96, email@example.com .
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, firstname.lastname@example.org , Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, email@example.com , and firstname.lastname@example.org (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University's recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Only include the cover letter and CV in your application. Bring copies of grades and certificates if you are called to an interview.
The instructions for applicants are available at: How to apply for a position .
You are welcome to apply!
Stockholm University contributes to the development of sustainable democratic society through knowledge, enlightenment and the pursuit of truth.
URL to this page
Assistant Professor In Functional Genomics Of Adaptations In Animals, Department of Zoology, Stockholm University, Sweden, 4 days ago
Stockholm University is a leading European university and one of the world’s top 100 institutes for higher education and research. Stockholm University has more than 60,000 students and 5,000 staf...
Postdoc In Environmental Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 1 day ago
The Department of Aquatic Sciences and Assessment (www.slu.se/aquatic-sciences ) is working with applied environmental science, with a national responsibility for assessing the condition of Swedis...
Chemical Safety Specialist, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 18 hours ago
Job Purpose: The Chemical Safety Specialist will oversee the management of chemicals. You will train people in the safe use of chemicals, respond to spills and emergencies, perform laboratory insp...
Research Associate In Biogeochemistry, University of Bristol, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Research Associate in Biogeochemistry Job Number: ACAD106548 Contract Type/Work Pattern: Open ended/Full time Salary: £35,333 - £39,745 per annum The role A unique opportunity exists for a Postdoc...
Professor In Inorganic Chemistry With Specialization In Materials, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
Published: 2023-01-12 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...
Associate Professor In Chemical Process Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 2 days ago
The Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering is now recruiting an Associate Professor in Chemical Process Engineering. This position offers the successful candidate close engagement in re...