Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
A permanent position as Research Coordinator is available in the group of Professor Molly Stevens in the Division of Biomaterials at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB). The successful applicant will join a multidisciplinary research team with a translational profile in biomaterials and tissue engineering, and should have expertise in developing and characterizing novel soft nanoparticle formulations for healthcare applications.
The lab of Molly Stevens is part of the Biomaterials division of MBB. For more information see www.stevensgroup.org and www.ki.se/mbb .
The successful candidate will be involved in leading and contributing to translational projects at the interface between materials science, chemistry and biology. The candidate will work on the development and characterization of composite materials with controlled architecture, composition and biological activity of a range of healthcare applications and lead related small angle scattering research projects. The research coordinator will be expected to undertake a role in the management of the group, internal and external academic and industrial collaborations and translational research projects, as well as in the research. Focus of the research activities will be in the field of soft matter applications for healthcare. In particular the role entails the design and characterization of a range of soft nanoparticle formulations, in particular lipid formulations, for diagnostic and drug delivery applications. The candidate will be offered extensive opportunities for collaborative work, both within KI and external to the group of Molly Stevens at Imperial College in London and other groups.
- Manage multidisciplinary projects encompassing soft matter applications for healthcare.
- Lead small angle scattering projects including applying for beam time and leading experiments and training in, supervising and development of analytical models.
- Undertake the associated data analysis and interpretation of data.
- Help the other Research staff in the daily management of the group laboratories, with an emphasis on maintaining the chemistry lab.
- To play a high level of involvement in recruiting and mentoring new group members.
- To liaise with the other research staff and students working in broad areas of relevance to the research project and partner institutions.
- To write progress reports and prepare results for publication and dissemination via journals, presentations and the web.
- To promote translational research by contributing to IP application preparation and liaising with clinicians and industrial partners when applicable.
- To attend progress and management meetings as required and network with the other research groups.
- To maintain an open dialogue with the principal investigator concerning all relevant aspects of research, finance and management within the group.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Experience in nanoparticles for healthcare applications [Essential]
- Experience in lipid formulation methods [Essential]
- Experience in small angle X-ray and neutron scattering [Essential]
- Experience in leading beam line experiments at synchrotron facilities [Essential]
- Experience of materials characterization techniques including, TEM, NTA, DLS, FRET/fluorescence assays [Essential]
- Experience in chemical synthesis and analysis including organic and inorganic reactions and work-ups, column chromatography, Schlenk line, TLC, NMR, HPLC [Essential]
- Experience in cell/material interaction [Essential]
- Experience in applying for and managing research grants [Essential]
- Experience in recruiting and mentoring students and research staff [Essential]
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable ability for innovation and original research
- A proven record of publications in top journals and patent applications [Essential]
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary environment [Essential]
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with academics from different disciplines, clinicians, and industrial partners
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply new concepts
- A creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of translational project management
- Experience in mentoring students [Essential]
- Familiarity with IP protection [Essential]
- Familiarity with transfer of technology (desirable)
- Collaborations with academic and industrial partners
The candidate must have a PhD and a previous post-doctoral experience in biomaterials, nanoscience, materials science, biology, an engineering discipline or other relevant discipline, and have experience in i) nanoparticle formulation methods and characterization, and their application in healthcare, ii) leading small angle scattering projects including beam time applications, experiment planning and execution, and developing models for data analysis, iii) a range of materials characterization techniques including EM and cryo-TEM, NTA, DLS, NMR, HPLC, iv) background in working in a chemical synthesis laboratory v) track record of leading research projects including mentoring students and successful grant applications. Excellent communication and organizational skills are necessary. A proven record of publications in top journals and patent applications is essential.
What do we offer?
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world's leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct innovative medical research and provide the largest range of biomedical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is a state university, which entitles employees to several benefits such as extended holiday and a generous occupational pension. Employees also have free access to our modern gym and receive reimbursements for medical care.
Location: Solna, Biomedicum
An employment application must contain the following documents in English:
Welcome to apply at the latest 28th of September 2021
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system. In this recruitment, you will apply with your CV without a personal letter. Instead, you will answer some questions about why you are applying for the job in the application form.
Permanent position is initiated by a six months trial period.
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
Research Support Technician Magnetic Nanostructures Group, ICN2, Spain, about 15 hours ago
The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its rese...
Structural And Chemical Characterizations Of Palladium Hydrogen Systems For Breakthrough Zero..., CNRS, Sao Tome and Principe, 11 days ago
Main task : Follow-up of the HERMES project linking LEPMI and several European universities, Main tasks : characterization by electrochemistry, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission ele...
Laboratory Technician , Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), Luxembourg, about 12 hours ago
Application Deadline: 31/10/2021 Ref: LT_SS The Smart nanodevices group at the Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC) led by Prof. Samuel Sanchez is looking for a Laboratory Technician...
Juan A. Anta, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Spain, 23 days ago
The Nanostructured Solar Cells Group of University Pablo de Olavide, Seville, Spain, is offering a postdoctoral position in the field of Molecular Simulation of Hybrid Metal Halide Perovskites for...
Design And Synthesis Of Polymeric Nanocarriers For Application In The Field Of Personalised..., Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 25 days ago
Postdoc position - Design and synthesis of polymeric nanocarriers for application in the field of personalised medicine. One postdoc position (starting from a 12-month contract from November 2021)...
Researcher Position In The Field Of Biomedical Engineering With Focus On Microfluidic Systems, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 14 hours ago
Published: 2021-09-22 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...