Do you want to become an expert in next-generation fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) techniques and contribute to top-quality biomedical research?
A Research Assistant position in next-generation FISH technologiesis available for 7 months in the Bienko-Crosetto Lab for Quantitative Genome Biology (https://bienkocrosettolabs.org/ ) and in the associated Advanced FISH Technologies (AFT) facility (https://www.scilifelab.se/units/advanced-fish-technologies/) at the Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab) in Stockholm.
Our lab has a longstanding track record for developing innovative DNA/RNA FISH methods (www.hdfish.eu ; www.fusefish.eu; www.ifish4u.org ) to quantify gene expression in single cells, to study the three-dimensional genome structure in individual cells, and to profile clinically relevant DNA/RNA markers in normal and diseased tissues.
As Research Assistant, you will support our group and the AFT facility by performing DNA/RNA FISH probe preparation and various types of DNA/RNA FISH assays as well as by participating to R&D activities ongoing in our lab.
You will work alongside the other members of the Bienko-Crosetto group and the AFT Facility in a scientifically thriving research environment focused on basic genome biology, molecular methods development and oncogenomics.
You will interact daily with senior scientists, postdocs and PhD students from many diverse fields and backgrounds, having the opportunity to learn new concepts in biology, developing your experimental skills, and fostering your creativity.
Your primary tasks will be:
- Applying DNA/RNA FISH methods developed in our lab to samples provided by collaborators or users of the AFT facility.
- Participating in the development of novel FISH assays tailored for clinical formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues.
- Producing FISH probes using the iFISH pipeline previously established in our lab: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09616-w .
- Preparing cell and tissue samples for DNA/RNA FISH, including mammalian cell culture and tissue section clearing to reduce autofluorescence.
You should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedicine or equivalent.
- Clearly documented experience with basic mammalian cell culture and molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA purification, PCR, in vitro transcription, reverse transcription).
- Prior hands-on experience with DNA/RNA FISH techniques is a strong advantage.
- The ability to independently organize your own work routine and flexibly adapt your weekly schedule to emerging requests.
- A problem-solving and forward-looking personality, i.e. you are motivated to solve obstacles that might present on the path to achieving a goal, you enjoy troubleshooting, you are not afraid of asking for help, and you are able to find solutions even if this means revising the original goal/plan (although never compromising scientific rigor and quality).
- A strong collaborative attitude, i.e., you are a strong team player and want to contribute to the success of the whole team.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
What do we offer?
A creative and inspiring environment with wide-ranging expertise and interests. Karolinska Institutet is one of the world's leading medical universities. Our vision is to pursue the development of knowledge about life and to promote a better health for all. At Karolinska Institutet, we conduct successful medical research and hold the largest range of medical education in Sweden. Karolinska Institutet is also a state university, which entitles you to several good benefits through our collective agreement. And you get to practice freely in our modern wellness facilities, where trained staff are on site.
Location: Solna, SciLifeLab
Our labs are located at the Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab) situated at the Karolinska Institute campus in Stockholm. SciLifeLab is an interdisciplinary center for molecular biosciences with focus on health and environmental research, bringing under the same roof groups from four universities: Karolinska Institutet, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm University and Uppsala University. The center features state-of-the-art technology platforms, including next-generation sequencing, high-throughput histology, super-resolution microscopy, proteomics, image analysis, and bioinformatics.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.In this recruitment, you will apply with your CV without a personal letter. Instead, you will answer some questions about why you are applying for the job in the application form.
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
Postdoctoral Studies In Rna Biology (Scholarship), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching within immunology, i...
Postdoctoral Position: Dna Nanotechnology /Srp, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 9 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? Overview of the Position The Strategic Research Programme in Diabetes (SRP Diabetes) at Karolinska Institutet is funding a prestigious fe...
Postdoctoral Studies In Ubiquitin Signaling, Genomic Integrity And Antitumor Immunity (Scholarship)., Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 8 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB, https://ki.se/en/cmb/department-of-cell-andmolecular-biology) is one of five departmen...
Postdoctoral Studies In Physics Style, Model Based Data Science Approaches For Personalized Cancer Immunotherapy (Scholarship), Karolinska Institutet (KI), Sweden, 19 days ago
10 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Karolinska Institutet (KI) Research Field Medical sciences » Medicine Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application Dead...
Post Doc Position In Chemical Proteomics And Data Analysis, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Chemical Proteomics Core Facility of Karolinska Institutet (ChemProt), Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, announces a...
Postdoctoral Studies In Physics Style, Model Based Data Science Approaches For Personalized Cancer Immunotherapy (Scholarship), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
The research team A postdoctoral scholarship is available in the lab of Jean Hausser at the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet and SciLifeLab in Stockholm, Sweden. (ht...