Ref. No. SU FV-4242-22
at the Department of Economics . Closing date: 30 December 2022.
The Department of Economics belongs to the Faculty of Social Sciences at Stockholm University and employs around 90 workers. We conduct top-level research and provide education in Economics with the help of a well-functioning administration. We are an international and dynamic department physically located at the center of campus in Frescati, north of the Stockholm city center.
The Department of Economics at Stockholm University is looking to hire two full-time predoctoral research fellows for a period of one year to start in the spring/summer of 2023.
The Research Fellows will support and collaborate on a series of new and ongoing projects within Public Finance and Health Economics, with a particular focus on the economics of inequality. These projects involve a team of researchers: Professor David Seim (Department of Economics, Stockholm U), Associate Professor Arizo Karimi (Uppsala University), Professor Mårten Palme (Stockholm University), Assistant Professor Marius Ring (University of Texas at Austin), Professor Gabriel Zucman (UC Berkeley) and PhD students. The research projects leverage large administrative datasets and empirical methods from the research frontier.
Successful applicants will receive mentoring from the above-mentioned group of faculty. Research fellows are physically based at the Department of Economics at Stockholm University, Sweden, and are working closely with the team members. Prior research fellows at the Department of Economics have gone on to attend top-tier PhD programs in Economics.
- Process and manage large datasets
- Conduct statistical and econometric analysis, primarily using Stata, but also in R and Python
- Write project reports that summarize analysis
- Prepare literature reviews.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Economics or any other field that includes substantial quantitative coursework
- Extensive programming skills in Stata
- Strong interest in economics and public policy research
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills.
Other useful qualifications:
- Prior experience as a research assistant
- Programming skills in R and Python
- Experience in working with large datasets
- Intermediate reading skills in a Scandinavian language.
We place a large weight on personal characteristics, such as a positive and constructive attitude, service-mindedness, being meticulous and cooperative.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time position for 12 months starting in Spring / Summer 2023. Salaries at Stockholm University are individually determined. Please indicate your requested salary. We can provide help and guidance with the work permit application for non-EU residents.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from professor David Seim, telephone: +46 73 977 11 23, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, email@example.com , Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, firstname.lastname@example.org , and email@example.com (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University's recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
An application should consist of:
- Cover letter describing among other things:
- Reasons for wishing to become a Research Assistent
- Brief description of any research experience
- CV (please list your GPA from completed degrees)
- An academic writing example (e.g. bachelor’s or master’s thesis or term paper)
- Brief coding sample in Stata
- If you do not have one you would like to share, make a new one based on the “auto.dta” dataset. It can be opened by typing the command “sysuse auto”. Create a figure that nonparametrically shows the relationship between “price” and “mpg” for different groups of cars (foreign vs. domestic). We want to see a plot similar to that produced by the command “binscatter”, but created by regressing “price” on deciles of “mpg” for different values of “foreign” and then extracting the coefficients and plotting those. Make sure the figure is nicely formatted (see for example the formatting in some of the papers on any of the professors’ websites). Make sure that the code produces everything (no manual graph edits).
- Contact information for at least one and up to three academic or professional references.
The instructions for applicants are available at: How to apply for a position .
You are welcome to apply!
Stockholm University contributes to the development of sustainable democratic society through knowledge, enlightenment and the pursuit of truth.
URL to this page
Postdoctoral Fellow In Environmental Economics/Political Economy , Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU), Norway, about 5 hours ago
1st May 2023 Languages English English English Would you like to join an exiting, interdisciplinary research project? Postdoctoral Fellow in environmental economics/political economy Apply for thi...
Four Research Fellowships (100%, 2 Years) , ; King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
Would you like to work in a leading research institute focused on building a strong knowledge base for understanding and acting on today’s most pressing international questions? The Swedish Instit...
Researcher, Structure Function Studies Of Amyloid And Secondary Nucleation, Uppsala University, Sweden, 2 days ago
Published: 2023-03-14 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...
Postdoc, Bilkent University, Turkey, about 13 hours ago
One postdoctoral research position in the Department of Mathematics is available to work with Assistant Prof. Cihan Okay on the "Foundations of quantum computational advantage" project funded by t...
Postdoc In Green Innovation , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 20 days ago
The Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Amsterdam. as part of the new Outside-In initiative aimed at fostering multidisciplinary research on sustainability, invites applications...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Economics And Public Policy, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Job Description Job Description The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy is seeking two Postdoctoral Research Fellow (RF) who will assist Dr. Zeewan Lee with applied economics research in the fiel...