The department of Clinical Sciences
The Department of Clinical Sciences is responsible for undergraduate education, research and doctoral education in the fields of veterinary medicine, animal care and animal science. The department's activities mainly concern our common Swedish domesticated animal species (pets) with a focus on anesthesiology, imaging, animal care, epidemiology, laboratory animal medicine, surgery, clinical chemistry, medicine and animal reproduction. Read more about our activities and infrastructure here .
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at SLU via the following link .
The subject of small animal surgery includes research and theoretical and practical teaching in small animal surgery, predominantly in dogs and cats. The subject includes several sub-disciplines such as soft tissue and neurosurgery, dentistry and orthopaedics. It develops and evaluates new methods and techniques for improved diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and prevention of diseases, injuries and complications, including studies of risk factors.
The holder shall be responsible for the development of research and education within the entire subject of small animal surgery in collaboration with the faculty's and the university's other researchers and teachers.
Furthermore, the holder shall within the subject of the position
- lead and contribute to developing internationally successful research
- develop, lead and participate in teaching at first, second and third cycle level
- mainly teach within small animal surgery, but also at other courses at first, second and third cycle level covering the subject
- develop and maintain national and international networks and collaborations with academia, relevant agencies, industries, organizations and society at large
- collaborate with other research groups within SLU to strengthen interdisciplinary activities at the university
- apply for external research funding at national and international sources
- supervise doctoral students and students undergoing residency
- actively participate in clinical work and teaching
- contribute to the strategic development of the department, faculty and SLU
- distribute research results and other relevant information to society
- perform administrative duties within the department, faculty and university
- have personnel and budgetary responsibilities
- be able to use Swedish as the working language within two years.
Swedish and English are used in parallel at the department. The successful applicant will need to be able to conduct the majority of their duties in English. However, as Swedish is the university’s principal language, the successful applicant will be expected to have professional working knowledge of the language within two years of taking up the position. The department will provide support with language learning.
The applicant must
- have a Degree of Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine
- be licensed to practise veterinary medicine in Sweden, alternatively be entitled to obtain such a licence upon application in accordance with the relevant legislation, regulations and directives*
- hold a doctorate and competence as associate professor (docent) or equivalent academic qualifications in a subject relevant to the position
- demonstrate research expertise within the subject
- demonstrate teaching expertise and have the ability to integrate research and a scientific approach into their teaching
- have demonstrated the ability to lead and develop a successful internationally recognized research team
- have demonstrated the ability to compete for external research funding
- have proven(latest, 5 years) clinical experience in a subject relevant to the position
- have good knowledge of English.
*Act (2009:302 ) on activities within animal health care ch. 3. Qualification rules, the Swedish Agency for Agriculture's regulations and general advice on qualifications for animal health personnel (SJVFS 2016:9 ) ch. 2. Qualification as a veterinarian, as well as European Parliament and Council Directive (2005/36/EC ) of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications.
Grounds of assesement
The assessment criteria for appointment must be the degree of expertise required as qualification for employment.
The assessment of research expertise will be based on
- completed and ongoing research and its relevance and development potential for the faculty and department
- ability to independently initiate and conduct successful internationally recognized research
- the ability to compete for external research funding
- experience as principal supervisor for third-cycle courses and study programmes and responsibility for postdoctors . As a principal supervisor, the applicant should have supervised doctoral students throughout their studies and until they are awarded their doctoral degree.
The following will be taken into consideration when assessing teaching expertise
- planning, implementation, examination and assessement of teaching aand education
- experience of both theoretical and clinical teaching at first and second cycle level
- the ability to integrate research and scientific approaches into the teaching work
- supervision and examination of first and second cycle courses
- training in teaching in higher education or the equivalent knowledge
- academic vision and reflection.
The following abilities will also be assessed
- developing and managing activities and staff within the academia
- administration in public authorities
- personnel and budgetary responsibilities
- communicating and collaborating internally
- collaboration with external stakeholders and society at large
- communicating work with research and development.
The appointment will be offered to the applicant who, following a qualitative comprehensive assessment, is deemed to have the best skills set to conduct and develop the duties in question, and contribute to the positive development of the organisation.
This position offers the vibrant research climate at SLU. The benefits of the position include Swedish family health care provisions, parenting support including generous paid leave of absence policies that allow both parents to care for newborns and toddlers. Additionally Sweden has a well-established pre-school structure as well as an educational system that provides no-cost education through university studies. Find out more facts and stories about Sweden at www.sweden.se
Located in the greater Stockholm region, the city of Uppsala has a rich history and culture, and is a true academic and cultural hub. Find out more about moving, living and working here at https://internationalhub.uppsala.se/
Place of work:
Form of employment:
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) has a key role in the development for sustainable life, based on science and education. Through our focus on the interaction between humans, animals and ecosystems and the responsible use of natural resources, we contribute to sustainable societal development and good living conditions on our planet. Our main campuses are located in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, however, the university also operates at research stations, experimental forests and teaching sites throughout Sweden.
SLU has around 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and doctoral students and a turnover of over SEK 3 billion. We are investing in attractive environments on all of our campuses. We strive to provide a work environment characterised by inclusivity and gender equality, where different experiences generate conversations between people and pave the way for science, creativity and development. Therefore, we welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=9232&rmlang=UK
Senior Lecturer/Lecturer In Veterinary Surgery (Small Animal Orthopaedics) , ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES Qualifications and Experience The successful candidate must possess a DVM or equivalent. Candidates should also possess: MSc or equivalent in Veterinary Surgery (Small ...
Assistant Professor / Adjunct (Polish “Adiunkt”) Animal Welfare And Behaviour, Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (formerly Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology PAS), Poland, 28 days ago
30 Jan 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology of the Polish Academy of Sciences (formerly Institute of Genetics and Animal Biotechnology PAS) Depa...
Senior Advisor In Animal Production And Its Impact On Climate And Environment, Aarhus University, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
The Department of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Aarhus University, invites highly qualified applicants for a Senior Adviser position in relation to animal production and its impact on climate an...
Veterinary Lab Technician, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 3 hours ago
Veterinary Lab Technician Med-Medicine - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (24001632) Perform animal husbandry, database management, and provides assistance in animal experiments. Job Summary Performs a v...
Job Announcement For Assistant Professor At The Laboratory Of Veterinary Small Animal Internal Medicine, Iwate University, Iwate University, Japan, 27 days ago
1 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Iwate University Research Field Anthropology Medical sciences Environmental science Neurosciences Agricultural sciences Pharmacological sciences Bio...
Animal Care Technician, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 16 days ago
11 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Luxembourg Research Field Biological sciences » Laboratory animal science Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Luxe...