Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 44 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
On the subject and the content of the position
Since 2005, Ancient and Byzantine Greek has had a professorship at 50% of full-time. The quantity and quality of the theses produced are of recognised high standard. Researchers in Ancient and Byzantine Greek frequently participate in international and Nordic contexts and have been successful in applying for external research funding. Recently, the focus has been on reception research, translation studies and Humanist Greek.
Modern Greek has an active research seminar. Lund University (LU) is the only one in the Nordic region that conducts research activities in Modern Greek. Researchers within the subject therefore collaborates with other disciplines at LU and with other higher education institutions, not least in Greece. The senior lecturers are responsible for managing a research journal with Byzantine and Modern Greek content and supervising linguistic and literary studies degree projects.
Latin has a high level of research activity and seminars with many external participants. The rate of theses submitted is also good. The researchers have an ongoing collaboration with Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, history of ideas, medicine and literary studies. Furthermore, the associate professor has in recent years participated in two major interdisciplinary projects at LU. Latin at LU strives to expand the interdisciplinary and interfaculty research collaborations.
As a research leader in the field, the professor's main duty is to lead research activities. The duties of a professor of Ancient and Modern Greek and Latin include responsibility for the development of research and education and training at PhD level, (individual research, planning, participation in, and management of, research projects including applications for research funding, and teaching, supervision and course development in all cycles of study including at post-doctoral level. Active physical presence in the research environment is important.
The Greek language has a seamless continuity from ancient to modern Greek. The teaching at SOL covers this breadth and the professor will be responsible for research studies within the entire continuum. Within Ancient and Byzantine Greek, the professor will teach at all levels and supervise students and doctoral students regarding their academic papers. In Modern Greek, the professor shall assist other staff members in first and second cycle education and supervise doctoral students together with assistant supervisors. The professor is expected to develop joint seminars in Ancient and Modern Greek for research studies as well as joint courses at Master’s level. In Latin, the professor must be able to teach first and second cycle education. The professor is expected to participate in Latin research seminars and, whenever needed, assist the principal supervisor of Latin doctoral students.
A person who has demonstrated both research and teaching expertise shall be qualified for employment as a professor.
For appointment as a professor there is a requirement for training in teaching and learning in higher education amounting to at least five weeks or that equivalent knowledge has been acquired in some other way.
A successful candidate who does not speak Swedish, Danish or Norwegian at the time of appointment will be expected to acquire sufficient knowledge of Swedish to be able to use it as in a work context within two years of employment.
If the successful applicant has undergone fewer than 10 weeks training in teaching and learning in higher education and/or lacks training in the supervision of doctoral students, this training is expected to be obtained within the first two years of employment.
Further requirements for appointment are:
- Doctoral degree or equivalent research expertise relevant to the subject area(s) and the duties included in this post.
- High research expertise in Ancient and Byzantine Greek.
- Research expertise in Latin.
- Documented knowledge of Modern Greek.
- Documented good ability to supervise doctoral students.
- Documented long-standing experience in teaching Ancient Greek or equivalent at university level.
The assessment criteria for appointment as a professor shall be the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment.
- A very high level of research, teaching, administrative and other expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve, as well as the personal skills in general that are important for successfully carrying out the duties.
- A very high level of research qualifications including a very good national and international standing as a researcher. Demonstrated by:
- extensive, documented research contributions and through the applicant having sustained internationally recognised activity of high quality,
- internationally competitive publishing, demonstrating both breadth and depth,
- documented expertise in planning, initiating, leading and developing research,
- documented ability to obtain research grants in competition,
- documented experience and expertise in master’s and doctoral supervision,
- a broad international network and active participation in the national and international research community reflected, for instance, through documented experience of assignments as an expert, editor, peer reviewer (referee) or project manager, by membership in formal networks and various positions in elected office.
- A very high level of teaching expertise, which involves a very good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- Demonstrated through both experience of the educational activities described above and a reflective attitude to the applicant’s own teaching role.
- A good ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- A good ability to participate in and develop public engagement and other outreach activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
- Demonstrated through documented experience, with positive testimonials and clear results, of leading, coordinating and developing research activities and collaborating with others.
Desirable qualifications in descending order of importance:
- Documented long-standing experience of teaching in Latin.
- Documented experience of teaching Modern Greek.
- Documented ability to foster the establishment of junior researchers in the research community.
In the assessment, equal consideration is given to teaching expertise and research expertise.
Instructions for the application
The application must conform to the instructions that can be downloaded at
www.ht.lu.se/en/the-faculties/academic-vacancies/instructions-for-applicants . The applicant is responsible for making sure that the application is complete, in accordance with the vacancy announcement and instructions, and for submitting it to the University by the application deadline through the recruitment portal.
The Academic Appointments Board normally selects a shortlist of applicants. This selection can be done in one or several steps and if needed with the help of external experts. The applicants who are selected for external assessment may be invited to submit physical copies of the papers that they wish to submit for expert assessment within 14 days.
Lund University applies individual salary setting.
Professorship In Mediterranean Archaeology With A Focus On Greek And Roman Archaeology , University of Zurich ;, Switzerland, 28 days ago
The University of Zurich invites applications for a professorship in Mediterranean archaeology with a focus on Greek and Roman archaeology. The position should be filled by 1 February 2023. The fu...
Academic Employee To Support The Arc Hives Project At Globe, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 11 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated and independent academic employee to support our efforts in the study of ancient beeswax to commence 1 December 2021 until the end of the ArcHives project 30 ...
Scientific Collaborator (20450) Linguistics, Ghent University, Belgium, 24 days ago
→ Apply before 15/09/2021 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time) → Faculty of Arts and Philosophy → Department: LW06 - Taalkunde → Occupancy rate: 100% → Number of positions: 1.00 → Type of empl...
Assistant Professor Of The Department Of The History Of The State And Law , Masaryk University, Czech, 1 day ago
The Dean of the Faculty of Law, Masaryk University, announces a competition for the fulltime position of the Assistant professor of the Department of the History of the State and Law Requirements ...
Associate Professor Of Japanese Culture And/Or Literature (Ref 210229), University of Oslo, Norway, 4 days ago
A permanent position of Associate Professor of Japanese Culture and/or Literature is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo. The position consist...
Associate Professor Of Contemporary Japanese Society (Ref 210204), University of Oslo, Norway, 4 days ago
A permanent position of Associate Professor of Contemporary Japanese Society is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo. The position consists of ...