Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
The Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology at Uppsala University has a broad research profile with strong research groups focused on cancer, autoimmune and genetic diseases. A fundamental idea at the department is to stimulate translational research and thereby closer interactions between medical research and health care. Research is presently conducted in the following areas: cancer precision medicine, cancer immunotherapy, genomics and neurobiology, molecular tools and functional genomics, neuro-oncology and neurodegeneration and vascular biology. Department activities are also integrated with the units for Oncology, Clinical Genetics, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Pathology, and Hospital Physics at Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala.
The department has teaching assignments in several education programmes, including Master Programmes, at the Faculty of Medicine, and at the Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology. The department has a yearly turnover of around SEK 500 million, out of which more than half is made up of external funding. The staff amounts to approximately 345 employees, out of which 100 are PhD-students, and there are in total more than 700 affiliated people. Feel free to read more about the department's activities here: www.igp.uu.se.
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at Uppsala University
The Vickovic Lab at Uppsala University is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, team-oriented Postdoctoral Computational Scientist to expand computational efforts in understanding disease mechanisms. We are interested in developing integrative multi-modal data analysis tools incorporating single cell and spatially resolved omics data, imaging data, clinical phenotypes, variants and genotypes. The successful candidate will have the unique opportunity to work at the intersection of mathematical modeling, omics data analysis, workflow optimization, and resource building. The postdoctoral researcher can also propose and pursue their own ideas that fit the general research program of the lab (see https://www.vickovictechinnovation.com ).
The Vickovic Lab is focused on developing novel “digital pathology” tools to track disease progression with the aim of identifying translatable drug and therapeutic targets in human tissue cohorts. The team leverages technologies including spatial transcriptomics, single-cell sequencing, and machine learning. A particular area of disease focus for the lab is developing tools for spatial genomics that will enable perturbing highly complex interactions in the human gut-to-brain axis. Dr. Vickovic is also the Director of the Technology Innovation lab at the New York Genome Center (NYGC).
The person selected for this role would interact closely with the NYGC team as well, and there is a possibility to spend an extended period in New York as a visiting researcher.
Responsibilities may include
- Develop new computational, machine learning, and statistical analysis methods for integrating and analyzing large-scale, spatially resolved RNA-seq and genotypic data using current state of the art technologies;
- Develop data analysis strategies, write algorithms, and deploy computational tools for the exploration of very large data sets.
- Develop a resource for the community that gives access to collected data;
- Work closely with experimental colleagues and cores to understand the nature of generated data;
- Coordinate efforts across multiple organizations (Flatiron Institute, Columbia University and New York Genome Center);
- Actively participate in the preparation of manuscripts for publication and present at scientific conferences;
- Assist in peer- and student-mentorship; and
- Share expertise and provide training and guidance to group members as needed.
- A minimum of a Ph.D. in computational biology, computational neuroscience, applied mathematics, computer science, or related discipline required;
- In-depth conceptual or technical understanding of modern high-throughput molecular technologies in the life sciences (RNA-seq, spatial transcriptomics, immunohistochemistry) required;
- Prior experience with Bayesian inference, network inference, and image analysis are preferred, but exceptionally creative and driven scientists with an interest and adaptability will be seriously considered;
- Strong oral and written communication, data documentation, and presentation skills required;
- Experience writing scientific articles for publication required;
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time required; and,
- Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills, and willingness to work in a fast-paced team environment required.
- Technical and Professional Skills: Consistently demonstrates skills and knowledge relevant for current role; strives to expand the depth and breadth of technical and professional skills; works with a high level of integrity; exhibits focus and discipline; appropriately prioritizes, manages expectations and delivers on commitments.
- Collaborative & Communicative: Models collaboration and teamwork; brings out the best in others; effectively works with all levels, internally and externally; respects and embraces diversity of perspective; communicates clearly and listens carefully; uses good judgment as to what to communicate and when to do so.
- Adaptable & Innovative: Adaptable and embraces change; develops new insights and pursues improvements and efficiency; fosters exchange of new ideas and willing to challenge the status quo; takes initiative and is solution-oriented; engages in work with passion and curiosity.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position of minimum 2, at most 3 years according to central collective agreement. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 2023-04-01 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala.
To qualify for an employment as a postdoctor you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in "a subject relating to the ad. The PhD degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application deadline. The three year period can be extended due to circumstances such as sick leave, parental leave, duties in labour unions, etc.
For further information about the position, please contact: Sanja Vickovic, email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 1 February 2023, UFV-PA 2022/4860.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden .
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2022/4860
Last application date: 2023-02-01
Apply for position
Post Doctor Urban Green Spaces For Biodiversity And Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
Department of Urban and Rural Development The Department of Urban and Rural Development is located on SLU's main campus in Uppsala, and conducts education, research and collaboration in the subjec...
Post Doc In Microbial Analysis Of Biogas Plants, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 12 days ago
Research: The Department of Molecular Sciences, SLU, Uppsala approximately 110 employees and together with two other departments forms an inspiring research environment at the BioCenter at the Ult...
Postdoc In Non Coding Rn As During Plant Regeneration, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 4 days ago
A Post-doctoral position is available at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) in Uppsala, Sweden to investigate how non-coding RNAs control plant regeneration. Non-coding RNAs are...
Researcher – Wood Composites And Engineering, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 4 days ago
The Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology (SBT) forms part of the Faculty of Forest Sciences, has about 50 employees and is located in both Umeå and Uppsala. The department carries out ...
Postdoctoral Researcher: Eco Evolutionary Dynamics Of Microbial Eukaryotes, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 7 days ago
The Department of Aquatic Sciences and Assessment (www.slu.se/aquatic-sciences ) is working with applied environmental science, with a national responsibility for assessing the condition of Swedis...
Research Fellow (Bioinformatics), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Dr Liu Boxiang on the development of novel computational models and the analysis of single-cell and spatial transcriptomics data. The main r...