Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research?
The Strategic Research Programme in Diabetes (SRP Diabetes) at Karolinska Institutet is funding a prestigious fellowship programme for postdoctoral research fellows. The Programme is focused on research in diabetes and its comorbidities. With this postdoctoral programme SRP Diabetes aims to support the next generation of exceptional young scientists within the diabetes area, including both experimental and clinical research. As part of this programme, we are now looking to recruit 4 outstanding postdoctoral research fellows. Full details on each project and contact information to the PIs can be found at: http://ki.se/en/srp-diabetes/postdoctoral-fellowships
Based at Karolinska Institutet, fellows will undertake a cutting-edge research project in a competitive lab and be part of the SRP Diabetes dynamic research environment where several events will be held throughout the year such as high-profile lectures, symposia, internal retreat, etc. which the fellows will attend
The fellowships are fully funded, and salary is provided for a 2-year period. It is our intention that the positions will start in the autumn of 2023, though some flexibility with the start date might be possible.
Research Project 4
Mapping the biodistribution of multivalent insulin variants in zebrafish and in mice
At the Teixeira lab (Ana Teixeira-group ), we have developed DNA nanotechnology-based approaches to map and target membrane protein nanodomains (e.g. Ambrosetti et al, Nat Nanotechnology, 2021; Fang et al, ACS Nano, 2021; Verheyen, Fang et al, Nucleic Acids Research, 2020; Shaw, Lundin, et al, Nat Methods 2014). In this project, the postdoctoral research fellow will investigate the nanoscale spatial organization of insulin receptors in different tissues. This information will be used to develop multivalent insulin variants using DNA- and protein-based self-assembly. The biodistribution and tissue specific effects of different multivalent insulin variants will be mapped in wild type and diabetes models in zebrafish and mice. This work aims to form the basis for the future development of insulin variants with tailored tissue targeting patterns.
Key responsibilities of the selected applicant:
- Plan, manage and conduct an agreed academic research project and associated activities.
- Test hypotheses and analyse scientific data from a variety of sources, reviewing and refining working hypotheses as appropriate.
- Develop research questions, analyse detailed and complex qualitative and/or quantitative data from a variety of sources, and contribute original ideas for new research projects.
- Coordinate multiple aspects of work to deliver novel research data in accordance with established timelines set between you and the Principal Investigator.
- Adapt existing and develop new scientific techniques and experimental protocols to support research.
- Regularly write research articles at an international level for peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and reviews.
- Formally present your research and represent the research group at internal, national and international conferences and meetings, either with other members of the team or alone.
- Informally present your research to the group at established meetings.
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the group on scientific protocols and experimental techniques.
To be eligible for employment as a postdoctor a doctoral degree or a foreign degree deemed to be equivalent to a doctoral degree is required. This eligibility requirement must be fulfilled at the latest at the time of the employment decision. It is considered as an advantage if you have completed your doctoral degree within the last three years, if there are special reasons, your degree may have been completed earlier.
- A PhD in a medical/biological subject (to be completed in 2023).
- The ability to manage your own academic research and associated activities.
- A strong CV, having published in high impact journals and presented at international meetings.
- Ability to contribute ideas for new research projects and research income generation.
- Ability to work with meticulous attention to detail.
- An enthusiastic interest in diabetes research.
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills and leadership, with the ability to communicate research ideas and results in a clear and logical way and the ability to confidently and effectively interact with colleagues and the broader research community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- A conscientious and enthusiastic working approach.
- Excellent planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
In addition, experience in one or several of the following is valued:
- DNA nanotechnology
- Surface Plasmon Resonance spectroscopy
- Super-resolution microscopy
- Single cell biology
- Animal models
Each Fellowship is for two years. We will prioritize applicants who have the opportunity to complete the project and be employed for two years. Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence no more than three years prior to the expiry of the application period for the position as postdoc.
How to apply
If you consider that you meet the selection criteria, click on the Login and apply button on this page and follow the on-screen instructions to register as a user. You will then be required to provide information in a number of screens with your application details, relating to your skills and experience. When prompted, please provide details of three references. You will also be required to upload a CV and Personal Letter which explains how you meet the selection criteria for the position. The Personal Letter (maximum two pages) should explain your relevant experience which may have been gained in employment, education, or you may have taken time away from these activities as illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances. Your application will be judged in part on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria outlined above and we are happy to consider evidence of transferable skills or experience which you may have gained outside the context of paid employment or education.
Please save all uploaded documents to show your name and the document type.
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
The closing date for applications is midnight CEST on Sunday 30th April, 2023.
Working at Karolinska Institutet
For further information about working at Karolinska Institutet, rules for visa/residence permit, insurance and accommodation please see: International staff
Want to make a difference? Join us and contribute to better health for all
Postdoctoral Researcher For Beta Cell Regeneration In Zebrafish, Karolinska Institutet (KI), Sweden, 21 days ago
17 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Karolinska Institutet (KI) Research Field Medical sciences » Medicine Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application Dead...
Postdoctoral Researcher For Beta Cell Regeneration In Zebrafish , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 3 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB) is a department with a strong focus on basic science. CMB conducts research and educat...
Research Assistant, Temporary Position, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 10 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Rydén and Mejhert lab aims to understand how alterations in human white adipocyte function is related to cardiometabolic disorders su...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Pluripotent Stem Cell Based Therapy Of Diabetes , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 3 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? At the division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology The Lanner laboratory is working towards novel treatments of Age-related macular degenerati...
Postdoctoral Position In Uncovering Novel Metabolic Targets And Differentiation Inducing Agents In Tumors, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 16 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching within immunology, i...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Translational Breast Cancer Research, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 3 days ago
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Oncology and Pathology, Lindström (LLI) The Lindström research group offers a creative and inspiring environment filled with expertise and curiosity. Our vis...