Ref. No. SU FV-2278-22
at the Department of Public Health Sciences . Closing date: 21 August 2022.
The Department of Public Health sciences is a department at the Faculty of Social Sciences, with around 70 employees. We offer a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and internationally leading research environment. The Department houses two research centres: Centre for Health Equity Studies (CHESS) and Centre for Social Research on Alcohol and Drugs (SoRAD). We offer education at the basic, advanced, and doctoral levels.
The candidate for the position as postdoctoral Fellow in Public Health Sciences must choose ONE of the following projects/specializations:
- In the project ‘Addiction’ as a changing pattern of relations: Comparing autobiographical narratives about different dependencies, we analyze autobiographical narratives from people who have struggled with different kinds of addictions, such as drug use, alcohol consumption, gaming and gambling. The aim of the study is to pay attention to the heterogeneous forces that have determined their addiction or ended it and helped them to recover. By comparing the emergence, stabilization and ending of different kinds of addictions, we expect to be able to specify in what way the different types of addictions resemble or differ from each other. The research is based on qualitative methods. For more information, please see: su.se/publichealth/english/projectaddiction
- The research project “Explanations for excess COVID-19 mortality among immigrants in Sweden: focus on social determinants of health (COVIS)” investigates how the social conditions of foreign- and native-born individuals, such as occupation, employment and place of residence, have lead to social inequalities in COVID-19 mortality among the foreign-born in Sweden. The research is based on quantitative assessments of register data. For more information, please see: su.se/publichealth/english/COVIS
- In our project entitled “Women’ Health: Life Course and Cross-Generational Perspectives”, we strive to integrate research on social determinants of health with a life course model of pregnancy and childbirth as a sensitive period in the life courses of parents and children. We investigate e.g. how social mobility and reproductive history are associated with health in old age, and how these associations vary according to gender. The project also contributes to research on life course determinants of women’s health. We use register and cohort data and employ methods from life course and social epidemiology. Research outputs have implications for planning of interventions and policies in public health, and in the area of women’s health in particular. For more information, please see: su.se/publichealth/english/womens-health
- Within the research program “Responding to and Reducing Gambling Problems Studies (REGAPS)” we examine how gambling and gambling problems affect individuals, families and societies. The program focuses on five main areas: 1) Experiences, formation of and obstacles for help-seeking in the case of gambling problems; 2) Measurement: screening, problem characterization and treatment follow-up; 3) Problem gambling and psychiatric comorbidity – a matter of gender and socio-demographic status; 4) Policy development and impact; and 5) International comparisons and cooperation. The research is based on both qualitative and quantitative methods. For more information please see: su.se/publichealth/english/regaps
- The research program ”Studies of Migration and Social Determinants of Health (SMASH)” is devoted to the investigation of how social determinants of health contribute to helth inequalities by country of birth in Sweden. The program examines how societal factors such as migration policies, segregation and worklife and individual-level factors such as living conditions, health behaviours and post-traumatic stress contributes to the health of migrants. The research is based on statistical analyses of survey and registry data. For more information, please see: su.se/publichealth/english/smash
The candidate is expected to conduct independent research within the framwork of one of the specializations in close collaboration with other researchers, with a focus on scientific analyssis and production of scentific articles. Presentation of research at national and international conferences is also included. Teaching opportunities at both undergraduate and advanced levels could be considered, should the candidate be interested.
Postdoctoral positions are appointed primarily for purposes of research. Applicants are expected to hold a Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.
The degree must have been completed at latest before the employment decision is made, but no more than three years before the closing date. An older degree may be acceptable under special circumstances. Special reasons refer to sick leave, parental leave, elected positions in trade unions, service in the total defense, or other similar circumstances as well as clinical attachment or service/assignments relevant to the subject area.
In the appointment process, special attention will be given to research skills demonstrated through the dissertation, scientific publications of relevanceto the chosen specializationand the projekt/research plan. Cooperation skills and social competence will also be considered. Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a requirement. Knowledge of Swedish is considered a merit.
Terms of employment
The position involves full-time employment for a minimum of two years and a maximum of three years, with the possibility of extension under special circumstances. Start date 2022-09-01 or as per agreement.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all.
Further information about the position can be obtained from the Head of the Department, Professor Mikael Rostila, Mikael.firstname.lastname@example.org .
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, email@example.com , Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, firstname.lastname@example.org , and email@example.com (SEKO).
Apply for the position at Stockholm University's recruitment system. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline.
Please include the following information with your application
- Your contact details and personal data
- Your highest degree
- Your language skills
- Contact details for 2–3 references
and, in addition, please include the following documents
- Cover letter
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience and a list of publications
- Research proposal (no more than 3 pages) describing:
– why you are interested in the field/project described in the advertisement
– why and how you wish to complete the project
– what makes you suitable for the project in question
- Copy of PhD diploma
- Letters of recommendation (no more than 3 files)
- Publications in support of your application (no more than 3 files).
The instructions for applicants are available at: How to apply for a position .
You are welcome to apply!
Stockholm University contributes to the development of sustainable democratic society through knowledge, enlightenment and the pursuit of truth.
URL to this page
Post Doc, Institute of Psychology Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 22 days ago
Institute of Psychology of the Polish Academy of Sciences announces opening of research position in the SHENG 2 project (project # 2021/40/Q/HS6/00219) „Towards an integrative model of reward pred...
Ph D Research Fellows, University of Oslo, Norway, 5 days ago
Research Assistants, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 11 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? Two Research Assistant positions in Computational Genome Biologyare immediately available in the Bienko-Crosetto Lab for Quantitative Gen...
Researcher In Applied Social Welfare , University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong rese...
Research Student Assistant – Micro Mobility, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We...
University Assistant (Post Doc), Faculty of Philosophy and Education, Austria, 10 days ago
The advertised position is located at the Department of Philosophy, which is part of the Faculty of Philosophy and Education. The Department of Philosophy at the University of Vienna is large in i...