Dr. Eran Elhaik led the compositional genomic analyses in over a dozen sequencing consortia, whose results were published in Science, Nature, PNAS, and Genome Research. Dr. Elhaik lab is famous for its population genomics and biogeographical research http://www.eranelhaiklab.org/ and collaborates with hundreds of researchers from all over the world.
Postdoctoral fellow in Bioinformatics and genomics: DNA sequencing and Identifying protective genes in plants
We are interested in developing an optimized system of using DNA and RNA NGS and mapping data to identify genes associated with how a crop plant responds to biotic treatment for biocontrol and biostimulation.
This is a multi-disciplinary project involving programming and modeling. In addition, the project will involve collaborations with researchers in other disciplines, including biomathematics, biostatistics, and molecular biology.
Candidates are expected to have an interest in plant biology alongside strong computational skills with background in statistics, computer science, and/or a related field. The candidate will work jointly with Dr. Eran Elhaik, Prof. Allan Rasmusson, and Prof. Laura Grenville-Briggs Didymus (at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, (SLU), Alnarp), to sequence the genome of plants and applying functional genomic tools to the plant genomes.
The candidate is expected to have a strong grounding in programming in R and math/statistics as well as experience using bioinformatic tools for genome sequencing, assembling, and processing.
The main duty involved in this position is to conduct research. Teaching may also be included, but up to no more than 15% of working hours. The position shall include the opportunity for three weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
- The successful candidate will work on the above-outlined research project. It is expected that she/he will apply and optimize tools to pursue the overall project goals and, after a training period, independently analyze plant genomic data
- All work will be carried out embedded in a collaborative research team, requiring sharing of expertise, open discussion of results, and facilitating experiments of other team members.
- Active participation at international conferences is expected, as well as dissemination of results in peer-reviewed publications
- Opportunities for supervision of degree projects (Bachelor and Master) as well as co-supervision of PhD projects may be provided
- The successful candidate is expected to actively seek independent research funding during the employment period, providing the opportunity to transition towards an independent researcher position
- Finally, the position may include limited duties in administration related to the work duties listed above
Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
The candidate must have a degree in bioinformatics, biostatistics, statistical genetics, or a similar relevant subject and experience of conducting such research through a previous research assistant post or through working towards a Ph.D. Applicants must have the ability to collaborate well and communicate scientific materials to non-scientists.
Additional essential requirements:
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English
- Strong programming skills in Python/R or a similar language
- Experience in analyzing qualitative and quantitative NGS data
- A track record of publishing peer-reviewed academic papers
- Evidence of ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a small team
- Evidence of ability to organize resources, plan and progress work activities, and meet deadlines effectively and consistently
- Experience of adapting own skills to new circumstances
Assessment criteria and other qualifications
This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers. Consideration will be given to qualified candidates with good collaborative skills, drive, and independence.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a SINGLE PDF-file containing:
- Cover letter (your background, why are you interested in the position, and in what way the research project corresponds to your interests and educational background, your goals, and start date)
- Résumé/CV, including a list of publications
- A general description of past research and future research interests (no more than three pages)
- Contact information of at least three references
- Copy of the doctoral degree certificate and grades for the Ph.D., MSc, and BA studies
Candidates who satisfies the requirements would be further evaluated on programming and writing skills and, if successful, be invited for an interview.
Ph D Fellow In Weed Evolutionary Ecology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
Department of Plant and Environmental Science, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in plant evolutionary ecology commencing 01.11.2021 or as soon as possib...
Postdoc In Weed Evolution And Population Genomics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
Department of Plant and Environmental Science, Faculty of Science at the University of Copenhagen is offering a 42-month Postdoc position to explore the evolution of weediness in the agricultural ...
Technical Assistant In Molecular Biology/Next Generation Sequencing (M/F/D), Research Center for Molecular Medicine, Austria, about 3 hours ago
Technical Assistant in Molecular Biology/Next Generation Sequencing (m/f/d) The Bergthaler lab at CeMM is currently recruiting a highly motivated Technical Assistant for our research on SARS-CoV-2...
Research Fellow / Postdoctoral Fellow Epilepsy Research Group (Wellington), University of Otago, New Zealand, about 16 hours ago
Research Fellow / Postdoctoral Fellow - Epilepsy Research Group (Wellington)-2100814 DEPARTMENT OF PAEDIATRICS AND CHILD HEALTH WELLINGTON SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES An exciting opport...
Post Doctoral Fellow, Department Of Paediatrics And Adolescent Medicine, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Work type: Full-time Department: Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine (21100) Categories: Academic-related Staff Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow in th...
Ph D Fellow In Rna Biotechnology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in RNA Biotechnology commencing 01.01.2022 or as soon as possible there...