KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The Department of Sustainable Development, Environmental Science and Engineering (SEED) conducts research and education focused on the sustainable development of society. SEED gathers a broad range of interdisciplinary expertise to conduct research that covers a wide field within environmental, engineering and sustainability issues.
The division of Strategic Sustainability Studies at the Department of Sustainable Development, Environmental Science and Engineering (SEED) is looking for a Post Doctoral Fellow to work within the research program Mistra Sport and Outdoors . The program is coordinated by the Mid-Sweden University, and is characterized by in-depth collaboration between researchers and non-academic partners for knowledge co-creation and development of solutions for increased sustainability in sport and outdoor recreation.
The research project is framed by the concept of recreational ecology and focuses on the need to better combine protection of biological diversity, nature resources and environmental quality, with the human needs of nature based recreation. The main research task is to generate knowledge about how the ecology of different landscapes is both impacted by, and can be supported by a wide range of recreational activities. Peri-urban landscapes are specifically targeted, but emphasis and specific focus are flexible. The project aims to contribute with essential knowledge for developing and testing frameworks, strategies and methods for planning, designing and managing future sustainable, multi-functional land, coastal and water environments.
The position includes independent research, as well as collaboration with researchers and stakeholders involved in the transition to a more sustainable sport and outdoors (academy, public sector, business and civic associations). Communication of research to different stakeholders and the general public is also included. A close collaboration with Mistra Sport and Outdoors researchers and partners is expected, and especially with Stockholm University. The position can also include teaching in relevant courses at KTH (max 20%). Project leader is Associate Professor Sara Borgström at KTH and Professor Erik Andersson at Stockholm University and Helsinki University.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Access to and close collaboration with forefront competences in sustainable urban and landscape development, inter-disciplinarity and applied environmental research.
- Mentorship and support in networking through the project leaders and their networks.
- Access to Mistra Sport and Outdoors resources, academic environment, infrastructure, Swedish and international universities and collaborations with leading non-academic actors.
- Works in Stockholm, in close proximity to nature
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made.
- Well documented knowledge and experience in design of ecological landscape studies that include different methodologies for data collection and analysis.
- Interest in developing your competence within landscape ecology in relation to multi-functional use of landscapes.
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality.
- Ability to work independently and perform critical analysis, as well as possessing good levels of cooperative and communicative abilities.
- As a person:
- you are very creative, driven and motivated
- you are proficient in the English language both spoken and written since it is essential for your daily work
- you are good at establishing new professional contacts and are looking forward to new collaborations.
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Experiences from research in trans-disciplinary projects
- Experiences from research or investigations of ecological issues in Swedish landscapes
- Experiences of research, investigations or other work with nature based recreation.
- Teaching abilities.
- Knowledge in Swedish.
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency
Trade union representatives
You will find contact information to trade union representatives at KTH's webbpage .
Log into KTH's recruitment system in order to apply to this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages.
- Brief account of why you want to conduct research, your academic interests and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. Max two pages long.
The application might also include 1-2 letters of recommendation.
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: February 1, 2023 or according to agreement
Salary: Monthly salary
Number of positions: 1
Full-time equivalent: 100%
County: Stockholms län
Reference number: A-2022-3017
Last application date: 2022-12-20
Researcher In Theoretical Physics, Stockholm University, Sweden, 8 days ago
Ref. No. SU FV-0154-23 at Nordita, Nordic Institute of Theoretical Physics. Closing date: 27 January 2023. Nordita, the Nordic Institute for Theoretical Physics, was founded in Copenhagen, Denmark...
Postdoc In Digital Twin For Human Robot Collaboration, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 11 days ago
Job description Department of Production Engineering is looking for one Postdoctoral Fellow in the field of digital twin for human-robot collaboration in smart manufacturing. This position will be...
Postdoc In Quantum Technology To Study Entanglement In Quantum Circuits, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 5 days ago
Job description We are working to create cluster states in the microwave frequency band (4-8 GHz) by synchronous pumping of a nonlinear superconducting circuit at multiple frequencies. In theory,...
Postdoc In (Socio)Legal Studies Of Technology/ Human Computer Interaction, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 5 days ago
Job description The aim of our project is to identify conflicts between specific parts of newly proposed EU legislation (Data Act) and data-driven practices in the creative industry in Sweden. You...
Postdoc In Custom Optical Fiber Design And Fabrication., KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 5 days ago
Job description The project is aimed at theoretical and experimental study of custom optical fiber designs and fabrication techniques. Of specific focus will be hybrid optical fibers for linear an...
Postdoc In Wise: Self Organized Liquid Infused Materials For Co2 Capture , KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 2 days ago
Job description This Post-Doctoral position is within the Wallenberg Initiative Materials Science for Sustainability (WISE, wise-materials.org ). WISE, funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foun...