18 May 2023
Uppsala University, Department of Chemistry - BMC
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
25 May 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Department of Chemistry – BMC conducts research and education in analytical chemistry, biochemistry and organic chemistry. More than 100 people work at the department. New employees and students are recruited from all over the world and English is the main working language. The department is located at the Biomedical Centre in Uppsala, which facilitates collaborations with research groups in biology, pharmacy, medicine and SciLifeLab and gives access to advanced infrastructure for experimental and theoretical studies. You can find more information about us here .
Description of subject area of the employment: The position is located at the department's NMR platform, which provides support, service and training to researchers at Uppsala University and to external users. The platform is the NMR-node for small molecules of the national NMR network SwedNMR.
- Teaching and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- Provide user support in NMR spectroscopic measurements in solution and data processing
- Daily operation, service and maintenance of two 400 MHz (Varian), one 500 MHz (Bruker) and one 600 MHz (Bruker) NMR instrument
- Assist with maintenance, installation and testing of NMR software
- Manage contacts with suppliers in connection with service and maintenance issues
- Coordination of NMR experiments at the national network SwedNMR, including collaboration activities.
- Higher-education degree including subject specialization (in-depth study of a subject) organic chemistry.
- Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills and subject specialization are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants also must have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising ten weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first year of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on subject specialization and teaching expertise of which weight will be primarily given to teaching expertise.
Subject Specialization may refer to in- depth study of the subject, for example a PhD, will be afforded consideration. In addition to academic qualifications, experience from other activities, including technology development, may also be taken into account.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. This expertise can have been achieved outside the academy through supervision, internal training, mentoring programs, etc. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in documented teaching experience in the field of small molecule NMR spectroscopy in solution.
Furthermore, consideration must be given to the capacity to plan, initiate, lead, and develop teaching and instruction, as well as the ability to connect research to teaching in respect to research in the subject at hand, subject didactics, as well as teaching and learning in higher education. The ability to interact concerning issues of teaching and learning in higher education with actors inside and outside the University is also included in teaching expertise.
Collaboration Expertise is important and will be afforded consideration. Collaborative expertise is demonstrated by the ability and skill of planning, organizing and implementing interaction with the companies that need support with NMR measurements and analysis as well as cooperation with national NMR networks, such as SwedNMR
- Theoretical knowledge and extensive practical experience with small molecule and paramagnetic NMR spectroscopy in solution
- Experience in performing reactions at low temperatures and anhydrous conditions
- Experience with daily operation, service and maintenance of Bruker and Varian NMR spectrometers as well as user support on both systems.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
University appointment regulations
Faculty appointment regulations
For further information about the position, please contact Mate Erdelyi (prof, 072 9999166, firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Type of position: Permanent full-time position, probationary period may be applied.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
Please submit your application by 24 may 2023, UFV-PA 2023/1314.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Research Field
- Years of Research Experience
- 4 - 10
- Number of offers available
- Uppsala universitet
Where to apply
Assistant Professor In Chemistry With Specialization In Macromolecular Chemistry, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 23 hours ago
Published: 2023-09-29 Uppsala University’s tenure track system grants assistant professors the possibility to be assessed for promotion to the position as associate professor. The university prov...
Doctoral Student In Nmr Spectroscopy And Computational Chemistry , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 10 hours ago
100%, Zurich, fixed-term The research of Dr. Marc-Olivier Ebert at the Laboratory of Organic Chemistry focuses on the structure determination and investigation of molecular dynamics of peptides an...
Assistant Professor In Biomolecular Nmr, MASARYK UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Department: National Centre for Biomolecular Research – Faculty of Science Deadline: 1 Oct 2023 Start date: negotiable Job type: part-time Job field: Education and schooling Dean of the Faculty of...
Doctoral Student In Materials Chemistry (Msca Cofund Project Prismas), Uppsala University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Published: 2023-09-04 Are you interested in working with material chemistry, with the support of competent and friendly colleagues in an international environment? Are you looking for an employer...
Forskningsassistent, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Published: 2023-09-19 The Department of Peace and Conflict Research was established in 1971 to conduct peace research and offer courses in peace and conflict studies. Currently approx. 90 persons...
Senior Lecturer In Classical Archaeology And Ancient History, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 23 hours ago
Published: 2023-09-29 The Department of Archaeology and Ancient History is a multidisciplinary research and teaching department characterised by cross departmental collaboration. At the departmen...