We are looking for a first research assistant to the Department of clinical microbiology who will be working in the group of Marta Bally. You will support the research activities of the group in the context of studying virus-membrane interactions Specifically, you will contribute with expertise in single particle tracking on live cells and on cell surface mimics and assist a number of research projects with data and image analysis. You will both develop new analysis procedures and analyze data provided to you.
We offer an international, stimulating collaboration-oriented research environment, where your scientific development is promoted.
Carbohydrates, in particular sialic acid and glycosaminoglycans play a key role in mediating the initial recruitment and accumulation of viruses at the cell surface. Virus-membrane interactions need to be tightly modulated and regulated to ensure an optimal attachment and diffusion of the virus at the cell surface, towards efficient entry. The aim of this project is to gain fundamental understanding on how the characteristics of different types of carbohydrates at the cell surface contribute to modulating the initial interaction of a number of viral pathogens.
Description of tasks:
- You will analyse data, summarize and interpret results, and put these in a scientific context.
- You will develop new data and image analysis procedures required for the execution of the project
- You will help planning future experiments.
- You are engaged in drafting and submission of manuscripts.
- You will act in agreement with the university’s policy for equal opportunities and data protection.
- A PhD in biophysics
- Extensive Postdoc experience, including in the field of virology
- Programing skills in Matlab
- Extensive experience with image analysisn using e.g. Fiji
- Extensive experience with the analysis of single particle tracking data.
The successful candidate should also have documented experience with:
- Practical experience with fluorescence microscopy, including the acquisition of single particle tracking data.
- Practical experience with AFM-based force spectroscopy
- Outstanding communication skills in English both in oral and written form
- Documented supervision of undergraduate students
- Capability of working in an interdisciplinary research environment
- An outstanding understanding of the potential and principle of biophysical assays to study virus-membrane interactions, including those using cell-membrane mimicsPraktisk erfarenhet av fluorescensmikroskopi, inklusive single particle tracking.
The application must contain
The application must be made electronically, last day to apply is 4 November-2021.
50% position, 6 months, start after agreement
For questions, contact; Marta Bally. E-mail email@example.com
We welcome your application!
Postdoc Mechanobiology, University Medical Center Utrecht (UMC Utrecht), Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
The Gloerich group, based at the Center for Molecular Medicine, has 2 positions for postdoctoral researchers to investigate the role of mechanical forces in healthy epithelia and cancer. Our resea...
Postdoctoral Position, University of Basel, Switzerland, 22 days ago
A postdoctoral position is available in the team of Prof. Marijke Brink, Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel / University Hospital Basel, Switzerland. The research group investigates mo...
Postdoc Immunology/Cell Biology, University Medical Center Utrecht (UMC Utrecht), Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Summary project Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a chronic inflammatory disorder characterized by skin lesions, itch, pain, sleep disturbances, and multiple comorbidities with significant decrease in qua...
Postdoc In Proteomics And Cell Signalling, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
A postdoctoral position is available in the group of Professor Blagoy Blagoev at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense. Invited are applicati...
Postdoc Position 100% To Establish A Mammalian Intestinal Organoid System , University of Basel, Switzerland, 9 days ago
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 30 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life,...
Post Doctoral Fellow In Cancer Immunology And Stem Cell Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
Work type: Full-time Department: School of Biomedical Sciences (22600) Categories: Academic-related Staff Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Fellow in Cancer Immunology & St...