Third-cycle subject: Energy and Environmental Systems
The PhD candidate will join Department of Energy Technology at KTH. The research group within the department has the main focus on Techno-economic analysis of Energy Systems in Buildings and cities within both education and research. At city scale, the team works on complex system analysis and modelling to develop the energy systems for the future cities and districts. At Building level, the team has a particular focus on system dynamics and integration, energy economics, and intelligent control and management of energy systems in the built-environment. The candidate is expected to be an active member of the research group, working on the existing projects and courses as well as developing new projects.
Particularly, the PhD project aims at development of a new generation of Energy Management Systems (EMS) with the focus on the utilization of Hybrid Energy Storage Systems (HESS) in residential buildings for the purpose of offering grid flexibility. The developed EMS will be demonstrated in very diverse pilots in Austria and Sweden. The Austrian pilot will address energy communities with different storage technologies, the Swedish pilot will focus on flexibility from a short time scale through heat pump control to electrical and thermal batteries and seasonal storage through geothermal borehole heat exchangers.
Supervision: Associate Professor Hatef Madani and Associate Professor Joachim Claesson is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
- High impact research and educational activities in a close collaboration with Industries, policy makers, and internationally recognized research institutes.
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
- Deep understanding of Energy Systems in buildings and cities
- Past experience and knowledge of energy management and energy storage in the built-environment
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time. In the case of studies that are to be completed with a licentiate degree, the total period of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education for two years.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above) . Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified .
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Doctoral Student In Nuclear Power Safety, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Technology » Energy technology Engineering » Nuclear engineering Engineering » Other Researcher Pr...
Doctoral Student In Extreme Conditions By Shock Wave Implosion, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Engineering » Electrical engineering Technology » Energy technology Engineering » Other Physics » ...
Doctoral Students In Deep Learning Of Proteins In Cells, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Technology » Biotechnology Biological sciences » Other Computer science » Other Researcher Profile...
Doctoral Student In Physics Informed Neural Networks For Real Time Control, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Engineering » Control engineering Engineering » Electrical engineering Computer science » Other En...
Doctoral Student In Nuclear Materials Science, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Engineering » Nuclear engineering Physics » Other Physics » Quantum mechanics Engineering » Materi...
Doctoral Student In Nanomagnetism, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KTH Royal Institute of Technology Research Field Physics » Electromagnetism Technology » Nanotechnology Physics » Other Researcher Profile First St...