The communicator-in-residence is part of the Mistra Environmental Communication research programme, and offers an established environmental communication practitioner the opportunity to take time off their ordinary work and instead reflect on their professional careers and insights, learn in dialogue with latest research, and engage in knowledge exchange between professionals and researchers in the broad field of environmental communication. Practically, the communicator-in-residence will be employed at SLU, gets a grant, access to SLU facilities, direct and ongoing contact with a local SLU-host and researchers, which are part of the Mistra Environmental Communication programme Mistra Environmental Communication | Externwebben (slu.se) , including but not limited to the Division of Environmental Communication at SLU (Uppsala) and the Swedish International Centre of Education for Sustainable Development (SWEDESD) at Uppsala University.
We hope this opportunity will enable the selected communicator to examine, among others, how they navigate the tensions inherent in the different views on environmental communication as shared meaning-making or as instrument for change, and that the selected communicator-in-residence brings some of their insights back into professional practice and their workplace. Conversely, the Mistra Environmental Communication programme hopes that the professional experience and insights of the communicator-in-residence can further how the programme understands professional communication practice in instrumental, constitutive, and especially post-instrumental ways.
The communicator-in-residence is expected to be present on site at SLU Ultuna most days during five to eight weeks in autumn 2023, most ideally in October and November 2023.
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at SLU at https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/
The communicator-in-residence is expected to:
- develop and conduct a professional development project involving intellectual engagement that seeks to include both research perspectives and their working experience
- actively seek out conversations with researchers in the Mistra Environmental Communication programme to exchange perspectives on environmental communication practice
- participate in shared activities of Mistra Environmental Communication and bringing their professional communication expertise and experience in (e.g. at the programme days or Environmental Communication days)
- share their knowledge and insights with Environmental Communication students in one or two sessions
- share their reflections and insights from their stay to other researchers in the Mistra Environmental Communication programme in an informal presentation
- (if applicable) share their reflections and insights with their ordinary colleagues, for example in a workshop at SLU or their ordinary workplace
- write about their experiences and insights during their residency in a blog post
- create or prepare one communication artefact or situation of their choice that they think would enhance the Mistra Environmental Communication programme
While we can provide advice, orientation and some practical support, the applicant themselves must organise transportation and accommodation for the duration of the residency.
The applicant needs to:
- consider themselves an environmental communication practitioner
- understand and sympathise with the tenets outlined in the programme proposal About Mistra Environmental Communication | Externwebben (slu.se)
- have at least three years of work experience as an environmental communication practitioner
- be interested in reflecting on their own work, assumptions, and professional practice, as well as in reading, thinking, and learning
Apart from this, we welcome applications of environmental communication practitioners of any field or academic background, including but not limited to existing partners of Mistra Environmental Communication. Applications will be evaluated concerning their relevance and contribution to the Mistra Environmental Communication research program, practical feasibility of their project, and individual motivation.
Place of work:
Forms for employment:
Fixed term employment c:a 2 months or upon agreement
1 October to 30 November 2023 or upon agreement
Applications are to be submitted via the button below by 23-06-12, containing a short CV and a 2 page motivation letter outlining their interest in the communicator-in-residency programme and the professional puzzles and musings that they would like to engage with during their stay.
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) has a key role in the development for sustainable life, based on science and education. Through our focus on the interaction between humans, animals and ecosystems and the responsible use of natural resources, we contribute to sustainable societal development and good living conditions on our planet. Our main campuses are located in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, however, the university also operates at research stations, experimental forests and teaching sites throughout Sweden.
SLU has around 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and doctoral students and a turnover of over SEK 3 billion. We are investing in attractive environments on all of our campuses. We strive to provide a work environment characterised by inclusivity and gender equality, where different experiences generate conversations between people and pave the way for science, creativity and development. Therefore, we welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=8511&rmlang=UK
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) In Mycology, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 25 days ago
5 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Sweden Applicati...
Licentiate In Conservation Ecology, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 25 days ago
6 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Sweden A...
Professor In Plant Breeding And Crop Diversity, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 10 days ago
21 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Other Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Sweden Application De...
Assistant Professor Physician Assistant Education, Saint Louis University, United States, 2 days ago
Who is Saint Louis University? Founded in 1818, Saint Louis University is one of the nation’s oldest and most prestigious Catholic universities. SLU, which also has a campus in Madrid, Spain, is r...
Graduate Student In Next Generation Sequencing Of Spider Silk Genes For The Development Of A Novel Biomaterial, Karolinska Institutet, doctoral positions, Sweden, 19 days ago
10 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Karolinska Institutet, doctoral positions Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Swede...
Forskningsassistent, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 18 hours ago
Published: 2023-09-19 The Department of Peace and Conflict Research was established in 1971 to conduct peace research and offer courses in peace and conflict studies. Currently approx. 90 persons...