Department of Biomedical Sciences and Veterinary Public Health
The department of Biomedical Sciences and Veterinary Public Health is responsible for research and education at basic and advanced levels within the disciplines pathology, pharmacology, toxicology, immunology, food safety, virology, bacteriology, parasitology and epizootiology. Read more about our activities and infrastructure here .
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at SLU under the following link.
The subject area of veterinary pathology comprises the study of pathological changes in sports-, companion- and food producing animals (horse, dog, cat, cow, goat, sheep, pig, poultry and farmed fish). The subject includes the aetiology and development of diseases, manifestations of pathological changes in tissues and organs, microscopically and macroscopically, and how these changes relate to clinical signs of disease in affected animals. The subject also includes disease diagnostics via necropsies and specimen examinations.
The holder of the position should within the subject area
- lead and contribute to developing internationally successful research
- develop, manage and participate in teaching at basic and advanced level, including doctoral level
- mainly teach within the veterinary and animal nurse programmes, but also at other courses at basic and advanced level, including doctoral level
- develop teaching methods and the use of digital tools in teaching
- supervise PhD students and candidates undergoing residency
- collaborate with other research groups within SLU to strengthen the interdisciplinary activities of the university
- participate in and enhance the strategic development of the department, faculty and SLU
- develop and maintain national and international networks and collaborations with academia, relevant agencies, industries, organizations and society at large
- apply for external research funding at national and international level
- distribute research results and other relevant information to society
- carry out administrative assignments within the department, faculty and university
- have Swedish as a working language within four years.
Swedish and English are used in parallel at the department. The successful applicant will need to be able to conduct the majority of their duties in English. However, as Swedish is the university’s principal language, the successful applicant will be expected to have professional working knowledge of the language within four years of taking up the position. The department will provide support with language learning.
The successful applicant shall
- have a veterinary exam
- be licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Sweden or be entitled to obtain a license upon application in accordance with current applicable legislation, regulations and directives*
- hold a doctorate within the subject area or equivalent academic qualifications
- demonstrate research expertise within the subject area
- demonstrate teaching expertise and have the ability to integrate research and scientific perspectives in teaching
- have experience of teaching at basic and advanced level
- have a good knowledge of English.
*Act (2009:302 ) on activities within animal health care Ch. 3. Qualification rules, the Swedish Board of Agriculture regulations and general advice on qualifications for animal health personnel (SJVFS 2016:9 ) Ch. 2. Qualification as a veterinarian, as well as European Parliament and Council Directive (2005/36/EC ) of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications.
Assessment of the applicant’s suitability for employment as associate professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the candidate possesses the qualifications required for the position.
The assessment of research expertise will take into account the following
- completed research initiatives and ongoing research, as well as its relevance and development potential for the faculty and the department
- ability to independently initiate and conduct successful internationally recognized research
- ability to obtain external research funding in competition
- competence as associate professor (docent) or equivalent academic qualifications in a subject relevant to the position.
The assessment of teaching expertise will take into account the following
- planning, implementation, examination and evaluation of own teaching
- supervision and examination at basic and advanced level
- the ability to integrate research and scientific approaches into the pedagogical work
- training in teaching and learning in higher education, covering around 10 weeks, or have acquired equivalent knowledge in other ways
- pedagogic vision and reflection
- development of teaching methods.
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the applicant’s expertise in
- developing and managing activities and staff within the academy
- internal communication and collaboration
- collaboration with external stakeholders and society at large
- communicating research and development work
- perform diagnostic work in veterinary pathology
- apply digital methods in research, teaching and communication.
It is advantageous if the applicant has international Veterinary Medicine specialist competence (diplomate) or equivalent competence in a subject relevant to the position.
The position will be offered to the person who, after a qualitative overall assessment, is assessed to be most suitable to carry out and develop the above mentioned duties and to contribute to the positive development of the organization.
This position offers the vibrant research climate at SLU. The benefits of the position include Swedish family health care provisions, parenting support including generous paid leave of absence policies that allow both parents to care for newborns and toddlers. Additionally Sweden has a well-established pre-school structure as well as an educational system that provides no-cost education through university studies. Find out more facts and stories about Sweden at www.sweden.se
Located in the greater Stockholm region, the city of Uppsala has a rich history and culture, and is a true academic and cultural hub. Find out more about moving, living and working here at https://internationalhub.uppsala.se/
Place of work
Form of employment
* Swedish: ‘universitetslektor’, a tenured position approximately equivalent to Senior Lecturer (UK) or Associate Professor (US). The successful applicant will be employed as Senior Lecturer.
Use the document Application guidelines for appointment as professor, senior lecturer or associate senior lecturer at SLU as guide when you fill in your application.
Please apply by clicking the apply-button below.
The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) is a world-class international university with research, education and environmental assessment within the sciences for sustainable life. Its principal sites are in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala, but activities are also conducted at research stations, experimental parks and educational establishments throughout Sweden. We bring together people who have different perspectives, but they all have one and the same goal: to create the best conditions for a sustainable, thriving and better world.
SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3 billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environment on its campuses.
URL to this pagehttps://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/work-at-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=8044&rmlang=UK
Professor In Veterinary Public Health (Vph) With Emphasis On Food Safety, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 9 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Medical sciences » Veterinary medicine Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Sweden Appli...
Internship Or Residency Position, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, about 1 month ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application ...
Postdoctor In Aquatic Ecology, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 22 days ago
18 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Applicati...
Doctoral Student At Slu In Forest Growth Modelling, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 17 days ago
23 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Sweden ...
Postdoctor, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 9 days ago
31 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Technology » Chemical technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Applicat...
Postdoctor In Structural Nano Chemistry/Biology, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 8 days ago
1 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Chemistry » Molecular chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Applicatio...