The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its research lines focus on the newly-discovered physical and chemical properties that arise from the behavior of matter at the nanoscale. ICN2 has been awarded with the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence distinction for two consecutive periods (2014-2018 and 2018-2022). ICN2 comprises 19 Research Groups, 7 Technical Development and Support Units and Facilities, and 2 Research Platforms, covering different areas of nanoscience and nanotechnology.
Job Title: Research Support Technician
Research area or group: Nanomedicine Group
Description of Group/Project:
The main lines of research include:
- Clinical translation of bioelectronic and microfluidic devices
- Nanomaterials as vector systems for therapeutic and diagnostic applications
- Development of graphene and 2D materials in medicine
- Discovery of novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets in oncology and neurology
The group brings to the Institute a strong expertise in research and development of novel types and applications of established nanoparticle systems, particularly liposomes. Moreover, rich experience in the medical translation of carbon nanomaterials, at varying shapes and dimensions, such as fullerenes, carbon nanotubes, nanohorns and graphene. A wide range of nanomaterials developed as platforms for the biological transport of therapeutic and diagnostic components in cell culture and preclinical disease models. The primary therapeutic targets for clinical translation of these technologies have been cancer (solid and metastatic) and brain pathologies (Parkinson's, stroke, Alzheimers, glioblastoma).
Nanomedicine@ICN2 has strong links with the Nanomedicine Lab at the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health at the University of Manchester, with Prof. Kostas Kostarelos leading both teams in a joint effort to develop medicines at the nanoscale. Graphene and 2D materials will have a central role in a number of research lines carried out in the context of the Graphene Flagship Biomedical Technologies Work Package.
Main Tasks and responsibilities:
The Research Support Technician will assist to the scientific programme of the Graphene Flagship project. The work will involve the preparation and characterization of non-covalent graphene complexes with biologically active molecules (proteins, peptides and small molecules). The Research Support Technician would be expected to undergo full training in all techniques and protocols to be used, and thereafter to perform the experiments with minimal supervision. Therefore, meticulous record keeping and a high level of consistency is key for this position.
The Research Support Technician will also assist to the main duties of the laboratory including procurement/reception of consumables, performing courier requests and general housekeeping tasks.
- Principal responsibilities: Through interaction with the PI and other members of the Nanomedicine Group to assist to the development, progression and execution of the Graphene Flagship project
- Synthesis, functionalization, and characterisation of various graphene-based materials (graphene oxide, exfoliated graphene, other 2D material)
- Use of chemical synthesis tools and protocols to surface-modify 2D materials
- Use a range of physicochemical and materials characterisation techniques (Raman, AFM, SEM, TGA, laser light scattering, spectrophotometry, electron microscopy, ICP-MS, XPS)
- Execution of experiments using different core facilities at the Campus UAB and collaborating institutions
- Training of new students and researchers in physicochemical and materials characterization tools and protocols established and core facilities used
- Assist in the internal material distribution within the Nanomedicine Lab and throughout the collaborators worldwide.
- Assist in the daily duties of the laboratory such as monitoring general consumable stock levels and procurement/reception of consumables.
- Assist in the smooth running of the laboratory including general housekeeping duties
Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, biochemistry, or equivalent
- Knowledge and Professional Experience:
- Demonstrable previous use of an array of physicochemical and materials characterisation tools (Raman, AFM, SEM, TGA, laser light scattering, spectrophotometry, electron microscopy, ICP-MS, XPS)
- Excellent methodological skills relevant to the research theme (surface modification or chemical functionalisation of carbon nanomaterials)
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills, including the ability to deliver timely and high quality outputs
- Experience in experimental research using of electron microscopy techniques (TEM, cryo-EM, tomography)
- Experience in the chemical synthesis and modification of carbon nanomaterials and graphene
- Previous hands-on research experience in handling and studying the biological investigation of carbon nanomaterials, in particular graphene, with biological matter (proteins, cells, tissues)
- Ability to plan, organise, and undertake work without detailed supervision
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of staff and students
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new skills outside own discipline
- Experience in procurement/reception of consumables
Summary of conditions:
- Full time work (37,5h/week)
- Contract Length: Temporary (1 year, renewable up to 2 years)
- Location: Bellaterra (Barcelona)
- Salary will depend on qualifications and demonstrated experience.
- Support to the relocation issues.
- Life Insurance.
Estimated Incorporation date: as soon as possible
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 website and include the following:
Applications will be continuously reviewed. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
ICN2 is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of people with disabilities.
Research Support Technician Nanomedicine Group, Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia, Spain, 23 days ago
The Research Support Technician will assist to the scientific programme of the Graphene Flagship project. The work will involve the preparation and characterization of non-covalent graphene comple...
Project Manager Nanobiosensors And Bioanalytical Applications, Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia, Spain, 10 days ago
The mission of the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is to achieve the highest level of scientific and technological excellence in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Its rese...
Functionalized Graphene And Selective Devicces For The Monitoring Of Aerospace Environments, Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata - Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Chimiche, Italy, 6 days ago
the project also includes the integration of the Analyst passive sampler with a graphene-based membrane selectively functionalized for the recognition of specific pollutants, in particular ozone a...
Project H2020 “Graphene Core 3, Università degli studi di Trieste, Italy, 26 days ago
Public selection, based on qualifications and interview, to recruit no. 1 full-time, level II technologist with an 28-month fixed-term contract, contest sector 03/C1 - organic chemistry - SSD CHIM...
Research Technician, ICN2, Spain, 2 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Researcher In Inorganic Materials Chemistry (Ref 205297), University of Oslo, Norway, 14 days ago
We search for a creative, skilled and ambitious researcher to join our research activities on battery materials. The researcher will work in a team of 6-10 PhD students and post-doctoral fellows /...