The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite the aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research line 1: Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes.
- Research line 2: The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes.
- Research line 3: Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes.
- Research line 4: Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources.
- Research line 5: Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes.
KEY RESPONSABILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the project PI, the Senior Post Doctoral Researcher(s) and the other team members;
- Assist project members with basic research in Artsoundscapes, with the research and dissemination tasks associated to the project;
- Unless on fieldwork, attending meetings, conferences or travelling for archival and literature research allowed by the PI, a key responsibility of the researcher will be to work in the Department of History and Archaeology, University of Barcelona.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Collaborate with the PI, the senior PD and other team members for all required tasks and RLs in the project.
- Attend to all meetings and seminars as possible being organised by the project
Related to Research Line 1
- Join fieldwork if needed and assist the project PI and the Senior postdoctoral researcher(s) in the field;
- Assist team members associated to this research line to the research and dissemination tasks associated to it.
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI.
- Actively participate in the organisation of Artsoundscapes conferences
Perform other related duties as required
FBG project number
The sound of special places: exploring rock art soundscapes and the sacred
Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu García
Història i Arqueologia
Gross salary per year
Negotiable between 13.200 – 14.400 gross salary
How to apply
Proof of experience in archaeological fieldwork
Proof of experience in academic writing
Proof of experience in the organisation of cultural events
Proof of experience in organising outreach activities
1 academic reference letter
All these documents should to be sent to email@example.com by the deadline. Large documents may be sent by alternative media such as Hightail or similar. Please, ask for acknowledgement of receipt
Send your application to:
Prof. Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu
Application for a Research Assistant in Artsoundscapes
Postdoc Position On ‘Applications Of Micromagnetic Tomography In Paleomagnetism And Rock Magnetism’ (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Postdoc position on ‘Applications of Micromagnetic Tomography in Paleomagnetism and Rock-Magnetism’ (1.0 FTE) Postdoc position on ‘Applications of Micromagnetic Tomography in Paleomagnetism and Ro...
Postdoctoral Fellowships In Computational Fluid And Solid Mechanics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
We are seeking two outstanding candidates for postdoctoral fellowships (2 years) in the field of computational fluid and solid mechanics. The fellowships will start on December 1st, 2022, or by ag...
Ph D Researcher Socio Biodiversity Products' Value Chains In The Amazon, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 9 days ago
PhD researcher Socio-biodiversity products' value chains in the Amazon PhD researcher Socio-biodiversity products' value chains in the Amazon Published Deadline Location today 30 Oct Amsterdam Job...
Ph D Researcher Socio Biodiversity Products' Value Chains In The Amazon , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Are you looking for a challenging position in a dynamic setting? The Amsterdam School for Regional, Transnational and European Studies (https://artes.uva.nl/ ) currently has a vacant PhD positio...
Postdoctoral Fellow – Brridge Project, Central European University, Hungary, about 4 hours ago
Position: Researcher Location: Vienna Status: Full-time Unit: Department of Public Policy E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Application deadline: Open until filled Starting date : November 1, 2022 Startin...
Senior Research Assistant In Digital Archaeology , Umeå University, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest institutions of higher education with over 35,000 students and 4,200 faculty and staff. We are characterised by world-leading research in several scienti...