LArcHer is an interdisciplinary research project led by ICREA Research Professor Inés Domingo. LArcHer project aims at pioneering a new and more comprehensive way of understanding one of Europe’s most extraordinary bodies of prehistoric art, awarded Unesco World Heritage status in 1998: Levantine rock art (LRA). The ground-breaking nature of the project relies on combining a multidisciplinary (Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT) and multiscale approach (from microanalysis to landscape perspectives) to gain a holistic view of this art. It also aims at closing existing gaps between science and heritage mainstreams, to better understand the values and threats affecting this tradition and bring about a change in the way we understand, care, use and manage this millenary legacy. One of the key aims of this project, extremely related to this position, is to develop new research agendas to set off complementary goals between science and heritage and define best practices for open air rock art conservation and management.
Responsibilities and tasks within the project: the successful applicant will be expected to:
- To develop leadership in research on the multiple facets of rock art conservation (exploring pathologies, practices and impacts)
- Asses the evolution and impact of previous restauration techniques in Levantine rock art sites
- Test and predict the behavior and stability of the materials and pigments used so far in rock art conservation
- Test conservation treatments in the natural context
- Collaborate in developing standardized processes and best practices for rock art conservation and management
- Collaborate in developing guidelines for rock art monitoring
- Contribute to strategic planning to develop public awareness-raising activities in preserving, promoting and protecting prehistoric rock art
- Explore the potential of state of the art digital technologies to assist in rock art conservation
- Management tasks for LArcHer project (max. 10% of the time) including drafting applications for permits and formal reports, among others).
- Prepare and present results in international and national conferences and publications.
Other duties as required.
FBG project number
Breaking barriers between Science and Heritage approaches to Levantine Rock Art through Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT
Inés Domingo Sanz
History and Archaeology
Gross salary per year
- Application letter describing previous experience in the field (rock art conservation and restoration),
- Curriculum vitae, etc.
- 2 reference letters
Send your application to:
Job Application – PD2. Rock Art Conservation and Restoration.
Type of contract
Temporary (4’5 years, depending on the outcomes of the annual performance reviews)
Researcher (Post Doctoral Level) In Archaeology , Uppsala University, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively...
Postdoctoral Researcher, “3 D Visualisation & Interface Design” At The Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 1.0 Fte (80% Research, 20% Teaching), 34 Months, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Postdoctoral researcher, “3D Visualisation & Interface Design” at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 1.0 fte (80% research, 20% teaching), ...
Research Assistant, At The Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 34 Months, 0,8 Fte, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Research Assistant, at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 34 months, 0,8FTE Research Assistant, at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences,...
Research Fellow, Geotechnical Engineering/Geological Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The School of Civil and Environmental Engineering invites applications for our Research Fellow position. The main purpose of the project is to establish a 3D Geological and Geotechnical Data Model...
Postdoc Position In Neolithic Archaeology At The Section Of Archaeology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 1 hour ago
The Saxo Institute offers a postdoc position in north-west European Neolithic Archaeology We are offering a 3½-year postdoc position for a candidate with a PhD in the Neolithic of north-west Europ...
Research Assistant, Lkc Medicine, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine invites applications for: Research Assistant in the laboratory of Assoc Prof Ho Hau Yan Andy We are currently recruiting a Research Assistant who will join an exp...