LArcHer is an interdisciplinary research project led by ICREA Research Professor Inés Domingo. LArcHer project aims at pioneering a new and more comprehensive way of understanding one of Europe’s most extraordinary bodies of prehistoric art, awarded Unesco World Heritage status in 1998: Levantine rock art (LRA). The ground-breaking nature of the project relies on combining a multidisciplinary (Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT) and multiscale approach (from microanalysis to landscape perspectives) to gain a holistic view of this art. It also aims at closing existing gaps between science and heritage mainstreams, to better understand the values and threats affecting this tradition and bring about a change in the way we understand, care, use and manage this millenary legacy. One of the key aims of this project, related to this position, is to achieve a new understanding of the materials, instruments and processes involved in rock art production and their change over time, to understand how the art was produced but also how it has survived over several millennia, which is key for devising strategies to contribute to the future preservation of this World Heritage. In this part of the project the aim is to combine both visual and materials analysis techniques.
Responsibilities and tasks within the project: the successful applicant will be expected to:
- Develop leadership in research on the multiple facets of the materials involved in rock art production and conservation (identify component materials, provenancing, transformation, degradation processes and products and deterioration markers)
- Characterization of organic and inorganic compounds from rock art and the bedrock, as well as other archaeological materials, through both non-invasive (X-ray fluorescence or raman spectroscopy) and laboratory techniques (X-ray diffraction, Electronic Microscopy, Mass spectroscopy/gas chromatography, optical microscopy, etc.)
- Use of digital imaging techniques inherent to Heritage Sciences (photography in the visible spectrum (macro photography and microphotography) and photography in the invisible spectrum (infrared reflectrography, multispectral photography, thermophotography, etc.) for pigment and bedrock characterization and monitoring
- Explore interactions between stone materials and microorganisms
- Management tasks for LArcHer project (max. 10% of the time) including drafting applications for permits and formal reports, among others).
- Prepare and present the achieved results in international and national conferences and publications.
Other duties as required.
FBG project number
Breaking barriers between Science and Heritage approaches to Levantine Rock Art through Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT
Inés Domingo Sanz
History and Archaeology
Gross salary per year
- Application letter describing previous experience in the field (pigment and stone materials analysis)
- Curriculum vitae, etc.
- 2 reference letters
Send your application to:
Job Application – PD3. Heritage Science techniques (pigment and stone materials analysis).
Type of contract
Temporary (4’5 years, depending on the outcomes of the annual performance reviews)
Researcher (Post Doctoral Level) In Archaeology , Uppsala University, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Published: 2020-08-13 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to ...
Researcher (Post Doctoral Level) In Archaeology , Uppsala University, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively...
Postdoctoral Researcher, “3 D Visualisation & Interface Design” At The Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 1.0 Fte (80% Research, 20% Teaching), 34 Months, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Postdoctoral researcher, “3D Visualisation & Interface Design” at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 1.0 fte (80% research, 20% teaching), ...
Research Assistant, At The Faculty Of Arts And Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 34 Months, 0,8 Fte, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Research Assistant, at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Department Literature & Art, Maastricht University 34 months, 0,8FTE Research Assistant, at the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences,...
Postdoc Position In Neolithic Archaeology At The Section Of Archaeology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 12 hours ago
The Saxo Institute offers a postdoc position in north-west European Neolithic Archaeology We are offering a 3½-year postdoc position for a candidate with a PhD in the Neolithic of north-west Europ...
Research Fellow, Geotechnical Engineering/Geological Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
The School of Civil and Environmental Engineering invites applications for our Research Fellow position. The main purpose of the project is to establish a 3D Geological and Geotechnical Data Model...