The ARTSOUNDSCAPES project deals with sound, rock art and sacred landscapes among past hunter-gatherers and early agricultural societies around the world. The potential of sound to stimulate powerful emotions makes it a common medium for conferring places with extraordinary agency. Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources indicate that these sites are often endowed with a sacred significance and, in many cases, they also receive special treatment, including the production of rock paintings. Despite aural experience being an integral component of the human condition and a key element in ritual, archaeology has largely been unable to study it systematically. Rock art landscapes are no exception and, although some studies have been made, they have largely been reproached for their lack of scientific rigour and subjectivity. ARTSOUNDSCAPES will fully address this weakness by investigating the perception of sound in rock art landscapes from an interdisciplinary approach reflected in its five Research Lines:
- Research Line 1: Characterising the acoustic properties of rock art landscapes. Aim: to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the acoustic properties of a series of rock art landscapes around the world in order to acquire scientifically accurate data for surveying relationships between sonic effects, soundscape perception and the positioning of rock art.
- Research Line 2: The psychoacoustics of rock art landscapes. Aim: to examine the sensations evoked in people by sounds and how they relate to auditory interpretations and physically measurable quantities; to explore auditory perceptions such as echolocation and the augmented audibility and intelligibility of distant sounds.
- Research Line 3: Neuropsychology and emotion in rock art landscapes. Aim: to test whether stimulation of the brain with the sound recorded in RL1 can induce patterns of brain activity related to particular emotions such as those provoked by altered or mystical states
- Research Line 4: Ethnographic and ethnohistorical sources. Aim: to critically revise ethnohistorical and ethnographic records related to music and sound among hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists and/or also, if agreed with the PI, of other type of societies in the world, and to look at the ethnographic variation in sacred beliefs associated with sound in these same societies.
- Research Line 5: Phenomenological analysis of sacred emotion and rock art soundscapes. Aim: to combine the results obtained in the previous lines and to attempt a phenomenological understanding of sacred soundscapes among late hunter-gatherers and early agriculturalists around the world.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Work closely with the PI and/or Senior Staffand the other members of the team;
- Assist with all acoustic technical tasks of the project,including those related to measurements in fieldwork, post-processing of dataand laboratory experiments.
- Write as first author at least one academic publication every 6 months.
FUNCTIONS AND/OR TASKS OF THE POSITION
Related to the whole project
- Perform an audit of the equipment and measurement methods currently used by the project, suggesting modifications and adaptations that allow to improve the process of taking and processing acoustic data;
- Assist with acoustic technical tasks and data processing before, during and after fieldworks in the areas of the world where the project is being developed at any time, and actively join fieldwork seasons if needed by the project and required by the PI;
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of an acoustic measurement manual to be used during fieldwork seasons;
- Assist with acoustical technical tasks related to the operation of the Immersive PsychoAcoustics Laboratory (ImmpaLAB) and the development of experiments.
- Assist in the technical implementation of a series of recordings involving real-time auralizations; this includes participating in the design of the experimental set-up and assisting during the recording sessions.
- Actively participate in non-academic dissemination for wider audiences agreed by the PI.
FBG project number
The sound of special places: exploring rock art soundscapes and the sacred
Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu García
Història i Arqueologia
Gross salary per year
24,000 – 28,000 grosssalary [bruto]
Application letter in English
Curriculum vitae in English
4 international publications
2 academic reference letters (*)
Demonstrableexperience in acousticsprojects in heritage sites (*)
2 reference letters(*)
(*) if these documents are in other language than Spanish, Catalan, English, Italian or French, an extra document with the translation is also required by the deadline
All these documents should to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. Large documents may be sent by alternative media such as Hightail or similar. Please, ask for acknowledgement of receipt.
Send your application to:
Prof. Dr Margarita Díaz-Andreu
Application for a post-doctoral fellowship in room acoustics applied to heritage sites
Sound Designer, University of Mississippi, United States, 2 days ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class The Department of Theatre & Film at The University of Mississippi invi...
Assistant Professor In History Of Art, Architecture, And Landscape (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Faculty of Arts The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5.000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of kn...
Assistant Professor In History Of Art, Architecture, And Landscape (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5.000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowledge every da...
Adventure Trip Leader Cape Cod, Ma, Camp Burgess & Hayward, United States, 16 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyCamp Burgess & HaywardLocationCape Cod, MassachusettsJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$385/week...
Experienced Engineer For Advanced Projects, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 22 hours ago
Do you have a talent for solving complex engineering problems, excellent analytical abilities, good writing competencies, and would you like to work with advanced tasks within a project at DTU, th...
Assistant Professor In History Of Art, Architecture, And Landscape (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Organisation The Faculty of Arts is a large, dynamic faculty in the heart of the city of Groningen. It has more than 5.000 students and 700 staff members, who are working at the frontiers of knowl...