The Mathematical Sciences Department is responsible for teaching and research in mathematics, applied mathematics and computer science at Stellenbosch University. The Mathematics Division is keen to strengthen its research in Algebra, Analysis, Number Theory, Category Theory, Combinatorics, Logic, and Topology. The Faculty of Science will offer a good research establishment grant for the first two years.
- Teaching undergraduate and/or postgraduate Mathematics modules;
- Researching and publishing in high impact peer-reviewed journals in a field aligned to one of the research focus areas in the Mathematics Division;
- Recruiting and supervising postgraduate students and postdoctoral fellows in Mathematics;
- Contributing to the leadership of an existing research group in the Mathematics Division, or establishing a new research group in a field aligned to one of the research focus areas in the Mathematics Division;
- Securing research funding;
- Participating in academically relevant departmental and faculty activities, as required.
- A PhD in Mathematics in a field aligned to one of the research focus areas in the Mathematics Division;
- An established research profile in at least one of the research focus areas of the Mathematics Division;
- Significant national recognition as a researcher;
- Contribution to the leadership of a research group;
- A sustained publication record in internationally acclaimed journals;
- Proven competency in developing and offering undergraduate and postgraduate Mathematics modules;
- Proof of successful postgraduate supervision on Master’s and PhD levels;
- Proven ability to secure research funding to maintain a viable research group;
- Active national and international research network;
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
In addition, for appointment as Professor:
- Proven leadership abilities and experience;
- Significant international recognition as a researcher;
- Proven involvement in academic service which may include, amongst others, referee and/or editorial board member for high quality research journals, plenary speaker, committee member of a professional society.
Applicants are required to submit a detailed research statement and teaching philosophy. Applicants invited for interviews will be expected to present a lecture on their recent research.
- Ability to teach in Afrikaans.
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 30 September 2020
Enquiries regarding this post: Prof IM Rewitzky on 021 808 3289, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753 or at email@example.com
The University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as Stellenbosch University’s institutional EE Plan.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.