Young and research intensive, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) is ranked among the world’s top universities.
The Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) Office at NTU Singapore oversees new curricula focusing on key transferable skills and global challenges using interdisciplinary approaches to learning. The rapidly changing nature of work, compounded by the relentless speed of innovation, necessitates that our graduates constantly acquire new knowledge and competencies, and adapt to several career changes over their lifetimes. As forward-looking educators, we are in continual pursuit of providing a holistic education grounded in future-ready skills which will prepare our graduates for lifelong learning and global citizenship.
Such an education needs to transcend the traditional boundaries of disciplines to address the nexus between theoretical and practical learning; “hard skills” and “soft skills”; and core curriculum and co-curriculum. Hence, NTU launched a new curriculum structure in 2021 to address these needs, featuring a range of Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) Courses.
The Interdisciplinary Collaborative Core (ICC) Office invites applications for a Specialist/ Senior Specialist position for a course titled ‘Healthy Living and Wellbeing’ at Nanyang Technological University.
This course aims to provide multi-disciplinary competence in a cross-disciplinary, collaborative learning environment, with student interaction and collaboration across schools as a key learning foundation. The main objective of this compulsory undergraduate course is to examine what constitutes living a good, healthy, and flourishing life. It provides students with the building blocks to thrive – physically and mentally – in their everyday lives. Students will gain knowledge and skills to develop a physically healthy lifestyle, enhance their awareness of prevalent mental health issues, and be equipped with resources and tools to cope with common situational challenges. By the end of the course, students should also have a deeper appreciation of how physical and mental health are intricately linked.
The hired Specialist/ Senior Specialist will have the following responsibilities:
- Facilitates and conducts all teaching assignments, both face-to-face and virtual delivery
- Together with the other course specialists, fosters student learning, stimulates class discussions, and ensures student engagement through developing, designing and continuously improving curriculum plans, course outlines, evaluation procedures and instruments, as well as attending to all course-related administrative duties
- Supports course administration such as course evaluation, updating online course materials, attendance records, and academic counselling on student progress
- Conducts assessments, marking and grade entries, feedback to students, student consultations, non-academic matters (e.g., invigilation), etc.
- Develops course materials and learning resources for course delivery and support students’ learning
- Provides regular course and student progress statistics for reporting and strategic decision making
- Demonstrates values and principles of professional conduct in all endeavours
- Takes on the role of course lead coordinator when necessary
- Any other assigned duties
1. Student Focus
Demonstrates an apparent empathy with students and understands their needs, and is an active listener Motivated and enthused to maximise individual student potential Proactive with the ability to react positively to unexpected circumstances Passionate in coaching and mentoring students to guide them in their career preparation and development Connects corporate partners with NTU to provide beneficial collaborative learning and development opportunities for students
Maintains the confidence and mutual respect of colleagues at all levels Understands and works towards team objectives Shares useful ideas and practices to improve the team’s overall morale and performance Initiates and implements improvements to work processes and practices within their responsibility
3. Credibility and Communication
Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively when interacting with internal and external stakeholders Displays excellent listening and questioning skills Projects an appropriate professional image
Able to plan workload but remain flexible Meets deadlines and displays strong administrative and organisational skills Demonstrates a capability to balance competing demands Meticulous with strong organisational and academic, administrative skills Strong initiative, self-motivated, and focused on achieving quality outputs
Candidates with the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- A Master’s degree in Social Sciences or related field from a recognised institution, at the point of appointment.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching and/or professional training experience, preferably in the area of counselling or mental health-related areas.
- Is empathetic, compassionate, and has strong understanding of young people’s mental and physical health needs and challenges are necessary.
- Is a team player with a strong sense of collegiality and has willingness to understand and support colleagues in their work.
- Has strong group facilitation skills and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Is self-starter who is motivated to takes initiatives and work independently while being responsible and accountable to the larger teaching team.
- Those with educational research experiences including quantitative and qualitative methodologies are preferred.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The University offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package.
The closing date for applications is 30 September 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Applicants are invited to submit their applications (cover letter, CV, research and teaching statements, and Google Scholar citation report if available) through the NTU career portal <NSS-HR to input link>
Hiring Institution: NTU
Associate Professor/Full Professor Position In Economics , ;, Singapore, 22 days ago
Economics School of Social Sciences Young and research intensive, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) is ranked among the world’s top universities. Economics under the Scho...
Assistant Professor Or Associate Professor In Photography And Digital Imaging , ;, Singapore, 3 days ago
The School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) at NTU, Singapore, invites qualified academics with a strong creative practise to apply for a faculty position in Photography and Digital Imaging as Assis...
Faculty Position In Interactive Design At Assistant Or Associate Professor Level , ;, Singapore, 22 days ago
The School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) at NTU, Singapore, invites qualified academics with a strong creative practise to apply for one of two faculty positions in Interactive Media and Design a...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Plant Molecular Biology And Genetics, National Institute of Education, Singapore, 24 days ago
Assistant/Associate Professor in Plant Molecular Biology and Genetics (Natural Sciences & Science Education Academic Group) Overview The National Institute of Education (NIE) is among the world’s ...
Graduate Programme Administrator (Mechanobiology Institute), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 22 hours ago
Job Description The Mechanobiology Institute, Singapore is a multidisciplinary institute committed to developing new paradigms for biomedical research by focusing on the quantitative analysis of d...
Lecturer (Philosophy & Singapore Studies), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 12 days ago
Lecturer (Philosophy & Singapore Studies) The National University of Singapore (NUS) Department of Philosophy seeks applicants for Lecturer (Educator Track) appointment, to offer a course satisfyi...