Department: Chemical Engineering and Food Technology
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where you will be part of the research team to characterize microalgae proteins as alternatives to animal-sourced proteins in food applications.
A Research Fellow/Engineer has a combination of job responsibilities relating to the following: mentor and facilitate student learning, participate in and manage innovation projects and manage laboratory resources.
For this role, your primary area of responsibility is on industry innovation projects where you will take the lead to develop unsweetened non-dairy whipping cream, establish analytical methods such as overrun and shelf stability, investigate the incorporation of different hydrocolloids to increase overrun, stability, and sensorial properties, optimize whipping cream formulation with response surface method, explore application of developed prototypes in other food categories.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables are met.
- Undertake these responsibilities in the project:
- Plan, organize and carry out intensive research experiments analytical lab, food pilot plant and and/or creative kitchen to achieve the objectives.
- Complete projects by submitting timely data & documents.
- Consolidate the data in order to generate sufficient scientific evidence to transfer knowledge to industrial partner for scaled-up production plan.
- Monitor the technologies in the field of unsweetened non-dairy whipping cream to expand the knowledge.
- Work with industrial partner for open innovation in the field of whipping cream manufacturing and application.
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison with vendors/suppliers.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to ensure proper operation and maintenance of equipment and assist in laboratory management.
- Mentor undergraduate students during practical learning activities to enhance their technical problem-solving skills. The learning activities may be laboratory classes, projects, etc. Development of learning activities and assessment of students may form part of the responsibilities.
- Manage projects and engage with different stakeholders to carry out the deliverables of the project.
- Lead and coordinate sensory evaluation, interact with panels to receive feedbacks from local consumers.
- Have hands-on competence in the areas of mixing of UHT/HTST processing and operation, whipping cream mix and finished product characterization, product development.
- Prefer to have previous work experience in the wet lab/pilot plant environment.
- Have a degree in Food Science/Technology, Food Engineering, or relevant fields. Possessing a Master’s or PhD degree will be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Dairy Food Manufacturing or relevant filed will be advantageous.
- Experience in using MiniTab, Matlab, or other statistics software are preferred.
Advertised:06 Jul 2021 Singapore Standard Time
Applications close:31 Dec 2021 Singapore Standard Time
Research Assistant (Food Science & Technology), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 17 days ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Prof. Zhou Weibiao on chemical and microbiological experiments, as well as data analysis under a project on ‘Impact of high-pressure process...
Casual Junior Research Assistant, Department Of Medicine (1 Month Contract), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 11 days ago
Job Description Job Purpose Casual Junior Research Assistant to support the PI and research team in the following areas: Duties & Responsibilities Perform research activities under the supervision...
Research Assistant/Post Doc (Asi), Singapore University of Technology and Design, Singapore, about 20 hours ago
Research Assistant/Post Doc positions at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) The Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) is now accepting applications for research as...
Research Associate (Engineering Design And Innovation), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 23 days ago
Job Description We are looking for a Research Associate who is experienced in research innovation and translation. The selected candidate is expected to: Create consortium of industry partners wit...
Research Fellow (Advanced Manufacturing), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 27 days ago
Job Description The Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS), invites applications for a Research Fellow position in the research group of Assistant Professor W...
Senior Research Fellow (Materials), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 24 days ago
Job Description Applied Materials – NUS Advanced Materials Corporate Laboratory has several Research Fellow openings in the general field of semiconductor materials design and processing. The Corp...