The Centre for Technology, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and the Law (TRAIL) was launched on 5 December 2019. Its focus is to inform the debate on the legal, ethical, policy, philosophical and regulatory questions associated with the use and development of information technology (IT), artificial intelligence (AI), data analytics and robotics, in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, through contributions by way of original thinking, research, writing and publications; and to collaborate with like-minded research centres around the world to further inter-disciplinary research in, and the development of, possible guidelines, standards, and solutions to the legal, ethical, policy, philosophical and regulatory issues associated with the development and application of IT, AI, data analytics and robotics in key industries.
The next stage of TRAIL’s development will involve more practical application, where TRAIL aims to identify appropriate use cases and develop technology for stakeholders in the legal industry (e.g. legal academics, court users, practicing lawyers, legal researchers). This can involve a broad range of technologies (robotic process automation, document assembly, etc.) and use cases (contract review, parsing unstructured text data in documentation, analytical tools for empirical legal research, etc.).
1. A chance to work on cutting edge information technology issues and participate in their research with the leading minds and experts in the area, both in Singapore and overseas.
2. Employment on a full-time renewable contract at NUS Law for one or two years, subject to satisfactory performance.
3. A competitive remuneration package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
4. Eligibility to apply for research and conference fund allowances from TRAIL to support attendance at academic conferences and to conduct your own research under the supervision of TRAIL.
5. Allocation of a workstation and access to other TRAIL resources.
This role involves a variety of work that includes researching, developing technologies, and preparation of teaching resources.
The duties associated with the position include:
• Researching for and collaborating in TRAIL’s research projects and initiatives;
• Conducting approved research based on the successful applicant’s own research agenda;
• Developing technologies that respond to the needs of stakeholders in the legal industry;
• Identifying and evaluating relevant technologies and developing resources that could be used to conduct teaching and instruction in law and technology related modules;
• Supporting the organisation of various events by the Centre, such as conferences and academic workshops;
• Identifying opportunities for collaboration with other industry stakeholders, and identifying new initiatives/projects that TRAIL can embark on.
You are expected to be in residence throughout the term of your appointment, subject to the standard NUS terms for annual leave. Remote work arrangements are permissible, subject to meeting the baseline requirements for onsite work to facilitate work engagement and promote camaraderie.
• Honours degree (or equivalent) in law;
• Interest in law and technology
• Interest in gaining technical skills in programming and statistics. Prior experience is very helpful but not necessary. The successful applicant should be language-agnostic, and not be confined to developing with certain languages/frameworks.
The required academic qualifications are as follows:
An appointment as a Research Associate may be offered to an applicant who has a good LLM degree and a further minimum of two years’ post-graduation experience.
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit their applications directly at our NUS Career Portal. These must comprise:
1. Covering Letter
This should, inter alia, explain the reason(s) for your interest in the position. Note that you need not identify a preference for any one of the specific listed positions; this will be determined solely on the basis of your qualifications, background, and expertise.
2. Application Form
The downloaded form should be completed and submitted together with the other required documents. We regret that incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants may download the:
• Application form here
3. Curriculum Vitae
A curriculum vitae should be submitted containing complete and detailed information on your academic institutions, honours, awards, all publications to date, and all academic, research and professional experience (current and previous, including dates of employment and job descriptions).
4. Writing Sample
As the successful applicant is expected to develop his or her own research to a publishable standard, a writing sample (which should ideally be on some aspect related to your proposed research) must be included with the application. The sample must be submitted in Word format only.
5. Letters of Recommendation
The application must be supported by three references, with at least two references from academic referees. Applicants must arrange for their referees to send their references to email@example.com by the closing date.
6. Submission of Application Materials
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit their applications directly at our NUS Career Portal.
7. Closing Date
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 21 May 2022.
8. Shortlisting and Interview
Shortlisted applicants should expect to be interviewed via Skype and a date to be arranged. All applicants will be notified within two months from the closing date on the status of their application.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Bukit Timah Campus
Department : Dean's Office (Law)
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 14523
Research Assistant / Senior Research Assistant, Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
Apply now Job no:495154 Work type:Contract, full-time Location:Singapore Categories:Bachelor Degree, Masters, Engineering Product Development, Temasek Laboratory, Engineering - Electrical & Electr...
Research Associate/Assistant (Quantitative), Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
Apply now Job no:495152 Work type:Contract, full-time Location:Singapore Categories:Bachelor Degree, Masters, Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities, Math/Statistics, Others Research Associate/...
Research Fellow (Biological Science), Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, about 12 hours ago
Apply now Job no:495155 Work type:Contract, full-time Location:Singapore Categories:PhD, Others, Biotechnology The work at SUTD offers opportunity, an environment, a culture – and benefits – that ...