The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) invites applications for the position of Research Assistant.
The Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering (SCELSE) is a unique interdisciplinary Research Centre of Excellence (RCE), funded by National Research Foundation, Ministry of Education, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS). Hosted by NTU in partnership with NUS, SCELSE is linking new insights from the life sciences with expertise from emerging technologies in engineering and natural sciences to understand, harness and control microbial biofilm communities and microbiomes.
SCELSE hosts a genome sequencing facility with multiple state-of-the-art instruments generating petabytes of data every year and is supported by a high-performance computing (HPC) system and multi-petabytes high-performance data storage system. The facility includes Illumina instruments (MiSeq, HiSeq, HiSeqX), Oxford Nanopore instruments (MinION, PromethION), and a PacBio instrument (PacBio RSII).
SCELSE seeks a bioinformatics support scientist who will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the genome sequencing laboratory’s IT infrastructure. A solid understanding of genomics sequencing concepts and technologies, familiarity with common bioinformatics analysis tools and data analysis approaches are required for this position.
- Day-to-day operation of the genome sequencing laboratory’s IT infrastructure.
- Providing technical support, which includes managing instrument’s raw data and subsequent post-processing, configuring and maintaining sequencing instruments, supporting the wet-lab team, and troubleshooting technical issues.
- Providing analytical support, which includes benchmarking new methods/protocols or bioinformatics tools, providing technical assessment on new advancements in genomics, and providing data analysis recommendations to other bioinformatics team members.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of experience in a bioinformatics role with relevant technical, user support, or project experience.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in the management and handling of next-gen sequencing instrument data (Illumina, Oxford Nanopore, and/or PacBio) and subsequent data processing.
- Strong understanding of genomics and bioinformatic concepts needed to support the analysis of next-gen sequencing data.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in bioinformatics data analysis, e.g., sequence alignment, genome assembly, metagenomics analysis.
- Strong understanding of basic IT infrastructure knowledge, e.g., operating system, networking, data storage.
- Competence in R, Perl, Python or other scripting language appropriate for bioinformatic analyses.
- Experience in using high-performance computing is a plus.
- Experience in wet-lab molecular biology techniques is a plus.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong analytical skills and meticulous attitude.
- Able to work independently or in a team with minimal supervision.
- Good communication, writing and presentation skills.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU
Research Fellow (Human Genetics), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 5 days ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Dr Liu Boxiang on single-cell sequencing under a project on single-cell sequencing of adipose from type-2 diabetes patients. The main respon...
Research Assistant (Dept Of Paediatrics), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 15 days ago
Job Description We invite applications for a research assistant/associate with background or experience in molecular biology, genetics and bioinformatics. The successful candidate will support a m...
Research Assistant (Statistical Analysis), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 6 hours ago
Job Description A research assistant position is available in the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health to support the Principal Investigators in research projects in the areas of statistical gene...
Research Fellow (Statistical Analysis), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 6 hours ago
Job Description A research fellow position is available in the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health to support the Principal Investigators in research projects in the areas of statistical genetic...
Research Fellow (Environmental Engineering/Microbiology/Biofilms), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 7 hours ago
Job Description We are seeking a successful candidate to join our team in investigating the impact of climate change on water quality and pipeline failure in water distribution network. The chosen...
Research Fellow Bioinformatician (Cancer Science Institute) Dr Jason Pitt's Lab, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 8 days ago
Job Description The mission of Cancer Science Institute (National University of Singapore) is to better understand the causes of human cancer across Asia, and thereby improve its detection, treatm...