The SkyTimber™: Tropical Renewable Architecture Design Lab (https://www.skytimber.org ) is a focal point of advanced designs and interdisciplinary research, thought leadership and education on tropical renewable architecture in the Southeast Asian region and the tropics worldwide. It brings together interdisciplinary groups of architects, researchers, industry partners, regulatory bodies to develop capability to design and build tropical renewable architecture in academic, professional, built environmental sectors - envisioning the symbiosis between sustainable forestry and built environment in the tropics. This role presents an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of design research on tropical renewable architecture to contribute to mitigating the global warming.
The SkyTimber Lab is seeking an early-career architect with a strong professional foundation and a desire to explore beyond conventional commercial practice. We're looking for someone passionate about innovative design and eager to engage in cutting-edge research and development as a researcher at a top-ranked global university.
As a Design-Research Associate at the SkyTimber Lab, you'll play a pivotal role in bridging the gap between architectural design practice and R&D, driving innovation under the guidance of our lab director. This role involves close collaboration with multidisciplinary experts, including structural and environmental engineers, material scientists, and industry partners across forestry, manufacturing, and construction.
Your primary project will focus on the design-research of a ground breaking three-story tropical mass engineered timber innovation hub, along with associated research and project management. While the project is experimental in nature, we're looking for candidates with excellent aesthetic design skills in drawings and visualisation. This is critical because our overarching goal is to promote mass timber architecture in the tropics and positively influence public perceptions.
- Research: Conduct in-depth research on topics related to tropical mass engineered timber, tropical architectonics, and the tropical built environment in Singapore and Southeast Asia.
- Project Management: Take charge of managing multidisciplinary design-built research projects, with a particular focus on the three-story tropical mass engineered innovation hub.
- Coordination: Collaborate closely with authorities, industry partners, researchers with diverse interest and expertise to facilitate the successful planning and execution of projects.
- Technical Drawing: Utilise your excellent technical drawing skills to communicate and document architectural concepts with clear and precise visual representations.
- Data Analysis: Analyse data related to sustainable materials, construction methods, and environmental impact. Use data-driven insights to inform design decisions.
- Compliance: Demonstrate knowledge of statutory drawing submissions and, preferably, hold registration as an architect. Ensure that all design work complies with relevant regulations and standards.
- Innovation: Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in sustainable architecture and contribute to the lab's innovative initiatives.
- Timely Delivery: Exhibit the ability to work effectively under occasional tight timelines without compromising the quality of your work.
- Master of Architecture degree with at least 2 years’ relevant work experience, and good knowledge, skills and expertise in relevant field.
- Excellent technical drawing skills and proficiency in design software (e.g., ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Rhino, Adobe Creative Suite).
- Knowledge of statutory drawing submissions (preferably, be registered as an architect).
- Excellent research and analytical, documentation skills: essential for in-depth studies and clear communication of findings.
- Experience in coordinating multidisciplinary teams, facilitating effective collaboration among experts from diverse fields.
- Effective communication, both written and verbal, to facilitate effective project management.
- Strong passion for sustainable architecture and a commitment to environmental stewardship.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Compensation: We provide a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with your role as an early-career architect and researcher.
- Pioneering Projects: You'll have the opportunity to lead and contribute to ground breaking research and design projects that push the boundaries of tropical renewable architecture.
- Access to Resources: Gain access to state-of-the-art knowledge, resources, and facilities that will empower your research and design endeavours.
- Collaborative Environment: Join a collaborative and dynamic work environment where diverse regional / global perspectives are valued, and multidisciplinary collaboration is encouraged to foster innovation.
- Lasting Impact: Seize the chance to make a lasting impact on the field of tropical renewable architecture. Your work will contribute to sustainable practices and architectural innovation in tropical regions, leaving a positive legacy for future generations.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit the following documents with email title stated “Job Application: Design Research Assistant / Associate” to (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A cover letter detailing your motivation in the position and relevant qualifications.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- A portfolio showcasing your architectural drawings and research works.
- Contact information for three professional and academic references.
(Note: Please kindly be informed in advance that only short-listed candidates will receive email response. Appreciate all of your understandings.)
Application Deadline: 15th Oct. 2023 or till position filled.
Join us in shaping the future of sustainable architecture in the tropics. Apply today and be a part of a dynamic project dedicated to creating positive change.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Architecture
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 22151
Research Associate (Microsystems And Microelectronics), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 10 hours ago
Extraordinary Electronics Laboratory (X-Lab) led by Prof. Mohammad Samizadeh Nikoo is seeking for a talented scientist to join as a research associate to conduct cutting edge research and developm...
Part Time Lecturer For Dv2008 Interface Design, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 10 hours ago
The School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) in collaboration with the School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, invites qualified candid...
Instructional Designer, Sit Teaching And Learning Academy, Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore, about 10 hours ago
The Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) is looking for an experienced Instructional Designer to partner and collaborate with academic staff and subject matter experts to design, develop, and i...
Senior / Cyber Defence Specialist, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 9 hours ago
NTU’s Centre for IT Services manages the campus-wide IT Infrastructure and facilitate access to all Enterprise IT systems, as well as Learning systems and Digital Media. Cyber Security which is pa...
Project Officer (Digital Twins And Web Platforms), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 9 hours ago
The Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N) invites applications for the position of Project Officer. Key Responsibilities: Strategize, design, and maintain a sophisticated digital twin dashboard ...
Assistant Manager, Advancement & Alumni (Communications), Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore, about 10 hours ago
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, this position supports the Advancement & Alumni Division’s work in deepening and widening philanthropic support and alumni engagement to further SIT’s vi...