The Deputy Director will be responsible for the review, prioritisation, protection and commercialisation of NUS intellectual property in Life Sciences This also includes the management of a portfolio of existing intellectual property and licenses. He/ She shall also support the Deputy President (Innovation and Enterprise) in specific projects on innovation and technology commercialisation and develop initiatives in innovation, IP management as well as commercialisation.
The successful candidate will also engage faculties and researchers to build relationship and understand the NUS research landscape pertaining to new technologies in the areas of life science, medical science, biotechnology and including coordinating with other members of the Industry Liaison Office (ILO) and the management teams.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Proactively identify technologies for commercialisation potential and aid development towards spin-out, licensing or other avenue; provide leadership and oversight for such development and collaborate with appropriate organisations to achieve desired outcomes.
- Work closely with Deputy President (Innovation and Enterprise) and Executive Director (IP Management & Commercialisation) for fulfilling reports (quarterly, annually) to the respective ministries and stakeholders for monitoring the performance of the technology transfer activities, new initiatives and their effects/outcome.
- Provide effective leadership to external industry partners, government agencies and other relevant agencies to ensure support for NUS’ technology transfer and innovation activities.
- Develop plans for spinning out technology based companies together with researchers and students through the NUS GRIP initiative and other funding mechanisms.
- Engage and facilitate faculty and staff in establishing collaborative relationships with industry, including acquiring industrial grants and contracts; support these efforts through meetings with faculty about their research, identifying external entities with interest in faculty research area(s), and developing research partnerships.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship with faculties, departments, and research centres to disseminate information regarding technology transfer and intellectual property; make presentations and organising learning sessions.
- Collaborate and help coordinate NUS research offices on grant and contract administration.
- Manage, encourage, and support the development, disclosure, and protection of NUS intellectual property, including reviewing proposals, ensuring adequate documentation and compliance policies related to intellectual property, technology transfer, and applications for patents; negotiating ownership; negotiating agreements, license fees, royalties, etc. for technology transfers; developing research partnerships to commercialise research results.
- Develop and manage IP and business strategies and assist with the assessment of inventions and identification of commercial applications through research and analysis of markets, competitive technologies, prior art, and patent landscape.
- Negotiate and complete non-complex licenses and related agreements, including development of business terms and overseeing internal diligence procedures prior to agreement signing.
- Manage the overall Life Sciences, including the assignment of newly arising invention disclosures, the monitoring of development, key performance indicators regarding university owned life sciences technologies.
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement to enable NUS ILO to deliver high quality, professional service to a growing base of inventors and business partners.
- Strong background in biomedical or life sciences, evidenced by a PhD and/or equivalent research experience.
- Experience in development and commercialisation of early stage life sciences technologies including pharmaceuticals, biologics, and devices, diagnostics technologies in industry or start-up Company.
- Experience in start-up company deal development including essential elements regarding incorporation, share capitalisation, early stage venture funding and product development.
- A strong foundation in intellectual property (IP) and appreciation of IP management; ability to interpret data analytics reports so as to advise observed trends in the various facets of performance of operations, on actions or plans to be taken.
- Experience of IP management, including identification, due diligence and protection of IP.
- Experience in handling commercial negotiations to conclusion would be advantageous.
- Ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts and technologies and to identify where there may be commercial potential and how this could best be realised.
- Excellent organisation skills including the ability to prioritise, manage and progress multiple projects efficiently while maintaining an active customer interface.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to credibly interact with a range of stakeholders including researchers, industry and colleagues.
- Demonstrate initiative, adaptability and creative problem-solving.
- Passionate in working with cutting-edge technologies and the next great ideas, and to contribute to helping these discoveries make a difference in the world.
- Registered Technology Transfer Professional (RTTP) and/or Certified Licensing Professional designation is preferred but not essential.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Industry Liaison Office
Department : Industry Liaison Office
Adjunct Faculty, Mi, Lgst612 Intellectual Property, Data And Innovation, 2022 Jan Term , Singapore Management University, Singapore, 7 days ago
Adjunct Faculty, MI, LGST612 Intellectual Property, Data and Innovation, 2022 Jan Term - (210000AT) Description A premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internat...
Scis Full Time Faculty, Lecturer/Senior Lecturer , Singapore Management University, Singapore, about 15 hours ago
SCIS Full-Time Faculty, Lecturer/Senior Lecturer - (210000B4) Description The School of Computing and Information Systems (SCIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) has one Lecturer/Seni...
Scis Full Time Faculty, Associate Professor On Tenure Track, Singapore Management University, Singapore, about 15 hours ago
SCIS Full-Time Faculty, Associate Professor on Tenure Track - (210000B5) Description The School of Computing and Information Systems (SCIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) has one ten...
Scis Full Time Faculty, Assistant Professor On Tenure Track, Singapore Management University, Singapore, about 15 hours ago
SCIS Full-Time Faculty, Assistant Professor on Tenure Track - (210000B3) Description The School of Computing and Information Systems (SCIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) has tenure ...
Manager, It Support Services, Singapore University of Technology & Design, Singapore, about 20 hours ago
Manager, IT Support Services Apply now Job no:494933 Work type:Permanent, full-time Location:Singapore Categories:Information Technology The successful candidate reports to the Deputy Director, IT...
Adjunct Faculty, Mitb, Singapore Management University, Singapore, 19 days ago
Adjunct Faculty, MITB - (210000AZ) Description A premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognised for its world-class research and distinguished...