Assistant Professor/Associate Professor in Biomedical Ethics
Centre for Biomedical Ethics, National University of Singapore
The Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE) was established in September 2006 in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine through a generous gift by the Chen Su Lan Trust. We work to develop understanding, capacity for good judgement, and sound ethical practice in the context of healthcare provision, biomedical science and health-related policy development. CBmE, directed by Prof Julian Savulescu, is a thriving centre for learning, teaching and research relating to ethical and legal aspects of healthcare and biomedical sciences. We are responsible for the development and delivery of the Health Ethics, Law and Professionalism programme through all five years of the undergraduate medical curriculum in addition to the postgraduate and continuing professional education courses in bioethics. You can find out more about CBmE here: https://medicine.nus.edu.sg/cbme/.
We are looking to appoint a talented, collegial, committed and enthusiastic bioethicist to join our faculty. We are particularly keen to develop our strengths in research and teaching in medical ethics generally with possible specialisms in empirical bioethics, experimental bioethics, reproductive ethics, genethics, neuroethics, AI ethics or clinical and healthcare ethics (including work on health systems and public health). The person appointed will have sufficient experience and standing to strengthen and support the development of our research portfolio, and to make significant educational contributions as we enhance our undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. We will consider medically qualified applicants who are eligible and keen to maintain some clinical responsibilities, but they must be able and willing to take on (proportionately) the full range of teaching and research responsibilities of the position.
This is an academic faculty appointment and may be made on a tenured or tenure track basis depending on experience and track record.
The main responsibilities of the position are:
- Lead in developing and delivering a new Masters programme focusing on emerging technologies particularly in the Asian region. The Masters will be skills based, with a focus on interdisciplinary methodology in applied ethics, with a specialism in philosophical practical ethics.
- Undertake and publish research of international interest and standing in medical ethics and bioethics, working collaboratively to strengthen and support the development of CBmE’s research portfolio
- Contribute to undergraduate teaching on the Health ethics, Law and Professionalism (HeLP) programme
- Contribute to the postgraduate teaching of bioethics, including via course development and module co-ordination
- Provide academic support to other CBmE activities, for example by facilitating organization of international conferences, workshops, lectures contributing to responses to public consultations issued by the Ministry of Health.
- Serve on relevant university and policy committees (commensurate with rank) and participate collegially in the academic life of CBmE, the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine and the National University of Singapore
- Provide mentorship and staff development for doctoral, junior and mid career Centre staff
Essential requirements for this position:
- A thorough grounding in ethics, including the development of normative arguments, to the level expected for a formal postgraduate qualification, preferably a PhD, in ethics or bioethics from a reputable university. (If you do not have a Master’s level qualification specifically in bioethics, ethics or moral philosophy, we need demonstrable evidence that you have an equivalent understanding acquired otherwise).
- A PhD in a field relevant to bioethics, eg philosophy, bioethics, sociology, anthropology, etc
- A knowledge of and ability to bring to bear a range of methodologies and disciplines relevant to critical reasoning in practical ethics, including philosophy
- Demonstrated experience of university-level teaching in ethics or a closely related field, and evidence of commitment to excellence in education.
- Strong track record (relative to career opportunity) of good quality research and publication in bioethics and/or fields relevant to this position.
- For appointment at Associate Professor level, a track record in securing grant income will also be essential.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Strong organization and management skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaborative as well as independent working.
- A PhD degree or postgraduate medical qualification recognised by the Singapore Medical Council.
- Experience of broader aspects of academic work e.g. doctoral supervision, doctoral examination, peer reviewing, contributions to professional networks/organisations.
- Capacity to conduct empirical research, including qualitative research involving interviews and questionnaires
An attractive remuneration package, commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience, will be offered with this position. For more information about NUS Medicine, please visit http://nusmedicine.nus.edu.sg
Interested parties should submit their letter of application, along with a full curriculum vitae, a soft copy of a recent paper or chapter (published or accepted for publication) online.
Application deadline: 22nd September 2023
Scis Full Time Faculty, Assistant Professor On Tenure Track, Singapore Management University, Singapore, about 22 hours ago
SCIS Full-Time Faculty, Assistant Professor on Tenure Track - (230000CD) Description Tenure Track faculty position in Computer Science The School of Computing and Information Systems (SCIS) at the...
Cis Full Time Faculty, Education Track Position, Open Rank Position In International Development, Singapore Management University, Singapore, 10 days ago
CIS Full Time Faculty, Education Track Position, Open Rank Position in International Development - (230000BX) Description The College of Integrative Studies (CIS) at Singapore Management Universit...
Research Scientist In Centre For Research In Child Development (Oer) [Nie], Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 9 hours ago
Overview The Centre for Research in Child Development (CRCD) was established in 2017 with funding from the Singapore Ministry of Education (MOE). Hosted at the National Institute of Education (NIE...
Project Officer (Molecular Biology), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 8 hours ago
A Project Officer position is available in the laboratory of Associate Professor Valerie Lin at the School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. The College of Scien...
Head, University Counselling Centre, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, about 9 hours ago
This role in University Wellbeing Office (UWO) provides leadership in the provision of professional counselling services and psychological services in NTU to support and promote the psychological ...
Associate/Assistant Professor Of Nutrition And Dietetics, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Singapore, 17 days ago
21 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine Department Office of Faculty Affairs Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R...