The scientist will work in collaboration with other team members to build cutting-edge interactive immersive visualization workflows for domain scientists and industry partners, architecting solutions for effective visualization and exploration of large scientific datasets on a variety of ultra-high resolution tiled-displays and virtual reality environments (CAVE, semiimmersive display walls, HMDs, and AR devices). The incumbent will be involved in VR/AR application design, 3D rendering, image segmentation & 3D reconstruction, and software development.
The incumbent should be responsible for evaluating, designing, implementing, and testing new and innovative solutions and pipelines using KVL VR/AR facilities. The scientist will also design and maintain immersive visualization workflows resulting from data produced by various facilities at KAUST - including data from simulations done at the supercomputing facilities at KAUST, image stacks and 3D volumes produced by microscopes (SEM/Cryo/TEM/Confocal), and other imaging facilities (CT/micro-CT), ocean and environment data collected by ships and AUV’s, etc. This activity will require close collaboration with multiple Core labs and other stakeholders.
As part of the Core Labs, the incumbent will also provide training and support for students and researchers regarding the VR/AR software and hardware facilities in the lab, participating in and organizing training seminars and workshops, as well providing student mentoring and support in collaboration with KAUST faculty, as appropriate.
- Provide 3D scientific visualization, image segmentation, and Virtual/Augmented Reality support and expertise to research endeavors across campus.
- Setting up custom immersive visualization hardware and software systems based on the project requirements.
- Collaborations with KAUST and In-Kingdom clients in designing immersive solutions for interacting with their complex datasets on VR/AR platforms.
- Working collaboratively with the team and external vendors in the maintenance and upgrades of existing VR systems.
- Provide support and expertise on virtual reality environment design and implementation, including VR interfaces and the combination of Visualization and VR applications.
- Propose, evaluate, and deploy new VR/AR software and hardware technology solutions for visualization and graphics.
- Stay up to date on scientific developments in VR/AR software and hardware technologies.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Visualization Laboratory Director/Lead.
- Demonstrated experience in VR/AR application design, image segmentation, and 3D volume visualization with solid knowledge of advanced tools such as Unity3D/UNREAL Engine, AVIZO, Paraview, MeshLab, ilastik/FIJI, etc.
- Experience in working with large-scale VR systems like CAVE, immersive display walls, as well as HMD-based VR systems.
- Expertise in 3D geometry conversion, mesh simplification, and 3D reconstruction.
- Knowledge in multiple areas of interactive graphics, including 2D/3D graphics, image processing, and advanced rendering techniques.
- Familiarity with 3D authoring tools such as Maya/Blender.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Highly competent technical documentation skills.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field with demonstrated relevant expertise
- Familiarity with advanced texturing, lighting, and rendering systems.
- Implementing reinforcement learning solutions on VR platforms.
- Some experience in information visualization and visual analytics is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Linux based operating systems.
Imaging Specialist For Computational Imaging Systems, IMEC, Belgium, 21 days ago
Develop and implement vision software, analyze images and video and contribute to prototype development What you will do Within imec’s Systems & Solutions, LifeSciences and Sense & Actuate departm...
Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor In Animation And Interactive Media Programme, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 13 hours ago
UIC now invites candidates for this position which is expected to be filled in February 2022: About the Programme The Animation and Interactive Media (AIM) Programme nurtures a new generation of g...
Research Grant Bi 26 Dem 2021 Pps1, University of Aveiro, Portugal, 13 days ago
A tender is hereby opened for the award of one Research Grant (RG) under the framework of project Augmented Humanity (Mobilizing Project nº46103), Perfil 82 “Bolseiro 1 - Scholarship for M.Sc., fo...
Manager Digital Twin Lab, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
We are looking for someone who understands the support of science and education. Other important assets are personal initiative, collaboration capacity, ability to switch between helicopter view a...
Assistant, Associate, And Full Professors, Electrical And Computer Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors, Electrical and Computer Engineering The Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Program in the Computer, Electrical, and Mathematical Sciences and Engi...
Researcher, Core , University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 12 hours ago
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 53 500 students and 6 500 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong rese...