|Radioisotope Lab Safety Specialist|
| KAUST is establishing a radioisotope laboratory under the Core Labs to support the faculty in the Bioscience field. The radioisotope Lab safety specialist reports to the Facilities Director and works closely with the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist, The Institutional Radiation Safety Committee, HSE and Procurement amongst others. The individual in this role will oversee the radioisotope facility. After establishment of the laboratory the major responsibilities are safety, compliance, keeping high standards of the lab organization, training and supervision of users and maintaining appropriate inventory control. |
Another area of tasks will include other HSE related matters for KAUST Core Labs. That will covered in close collaboration with the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
The working environment and mentality in the Core Labs is service-and support-oriented in a cooperative spirit.
• Establish a radioisotope user facility in the Core Labs and ensure daily operations run smoothly. Includes maintaining appropriate inventory control.
• Train, supervise and work closely with the users (mainly students, postdocs and research staff at KAUST)
• Maintain and manage the laboratory equipment in the radioisotope lab.
• Conduct risk assessments to anticipate, recognize, and control workplace hazards including ionizing radiation, biological and chemical hazards in the Core Labs.
• Perform inspections in laboratories to monitor compliance with safety regulations and to identify opportunities for further minimizing risks.
• Consult with diverse population of student, staff, and faculty to determine suitable and effective actions on identified risks.
• Liaise with HSE and other functional departments on all workplace health and safety issues.
• Liaise with support departments to ensure proper operation and maintenance of specialized hazard control systems such as hazard exhaust ventilation systems, emission abatement systems as well as toxic gas detection and alarm systems.
• Assist in the review of research protocols and lab safety plans.
• Participate in the development of guidelines and safety procedures.
• Identify safety training needs. Develop, conduct and coordinate necessary safety trainings for Core Lab personnel.
• Report regularly on laboratory safety status and issues to the Facilities Director and to the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
• Liaise with hazardous material specialists in the management of radioactive waste, biowaste and hazardous chemical waste.
• Serve as a resource and as a member of an emergency response team for responding to incidents involving release of hazardous chemicals or biohazardous materials.
• Build effective partnerships with staff, faculty, and students throughout the Core Labs by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
• Examine, for approval, plans and specifications of proposed biological & chemical material controls.
• Participate in the design review process for labs intending to use chemicals and biohazardous materials.
• Keep abreast of technology and current issues through seminars and training.
• Actively participate in various safety programs and interface with the HSE Team and various other campus groups.
• Any other task assigned by the Facilities Director or Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
• Broad range of knowledge in control of ionizing radiation, biosafety, chemical safety and laser safety; as well as relevant standards, codes, and regulations.
• Experienced in the operation, calibration and maintenance of a variety of radiation monitoring instruments.
• Previous experience with radioisotope labelling in bioscience
• Good organizational skills.
• Ability to develop and conduct, independently, effective evaluation and surveys for a wide range of hazards.
• Enthusiastic about training young students and others
• Ability to work well in a team and collaborate with others
• Proactive personality and positive mindset
• Ability to use Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
• Excellent verbal and written skills (English).
• Able to work independently with limited supervision.
• Able to work effectively in a culturally diverse work environment.
• Able to multitask and work productively in a fast paced environment and under emergency situations.
• Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering, Master’s degree preferred.
• Professional qualifications such as Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or equivalent are preferred.
• Experience setting up and maintaining a radioisotope laboratory.
• Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience preferably gained in a research environment.
Nutrition Associate, University of Missouri, United States, 24 days ago
NUTRITION ASSOCIATE-17002898 Job : Facilities Operations/Technical Primary Location : Columbia Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job Unposting Date : Ongoing Description Hours: 7am – 3:30pm with e...
Lead Research Technician And Safety Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 20 days ago
ENG Civil Engineering Competition No. - S104133749 Posting Date - Aug 28, 2017 Closing Date - Sep 05, 2017 Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded Salary Range - $62,877 to $8...
Mo Flo Cell Sorter Operator For Flow Core, National Institutes of Health, United States, 1 day ago
Position Description: Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. We are currently seeking a Biologist with EXPERIENCE ...
Temp Laboratory Technologist, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 12 days ago
Temp Laboratory Technologist - 006L1 Description To provide operational support to department teaching activities in the teaching labs, including practical set-up, in-charge of teaching lab equipm...
Centrifuge Facility Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 21 days ago
This position has a term length of one year and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca . The Centrifuge Facility Manager is responsible for the day to ...
Industrial Hygienist/Safety Manager Cardinal Tg, University of Washington, United States, 2 days ago
Description: Essential Functions: Provide the guidance, documentation, implementation, and maintenance of the Health, Safety, and Environmental Protection programs that assure the safety of Cardin...