The Chemical Safety Specialist will oversee the management of chemicals. You will train people in the safe use of chemicals, respond to spills and emergencies, perform laboratory inspections, lead risk assessment and service activities involving chemicals, and investigate accidents and injuries that involve chemicals.
You will manage the hazardous materials programs at KAUST to ensure safe and proper use, handling, transport, storage, and disposal of hazardous materials.
As the Chemicals Safety Specialist you will lead Chemical safety oversight in research across campus, and in programs such as clean combustion, catalysis, petroleum engineering, advanced membranes, porous materials, Nano-fabrication, clean rooms, bioscience and marine research.
- Serve in a supportive role with campus administrative units, unit safety contacts and campus emergency responders.
- Recommend, develop and deliver Chemical safety training for employees, including particular hazardous substances.
- Develop guidelines, plans, and standard operating procedures for campus research safety programs.
- Perform chemical risk assessments and determine risk mitigation strategies.
- Monitor compliance with, and effectiveness of existing policies and procedures for employee safety and awareness programs.
- Create, implement, and revise plans and procedures for the storage, handling, and disposal of hazardous materials on campus.
- Investigate incidents that involve hazardous materials to determine their root cause, and identify preventative mechanisms. Perform follow-up inspections to ensure corrective action effectiveness.
- Conduct inspections of research related incidents and follow up with corrective actions.
- Perform baseline analysis of chemicals with unknown properties.
- Give technical guidance relative to material safety data sheets interpretation.
- Inspect chemical storage areas to verify proper labeling, containers, and compatibility of chemicals stored on campus.
- Evaluate and recommend personal protective equipment.
- Support Industrial Hygiene investigations relative to occupational exposures, IAQ and other chemical concerns.
- Review lab design, retrofit and upgrade drawings and provide comment on code/best practice elements.
- Oversee toxic & flammable gas management program.
- Serve as an emergency coordinator regarding hazardous material spills and accidents. Respond to spills and emergencies; interface closely with the KAUST F.D. in support of emergency response.
- Provide guidance and oversight on safe shipment and transportation of chemicals.
You will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Environmental Health and Safety, or equivalent degree. MSc is preferred.
- Certified Chemical Hygiene Officer, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, or equivalent certification is preferred.
- Have 5-10 years' experience in a Chemical safety specialist discipline, and of working in a University or Research and Development setting.
- Possess demonstrable knowledge of Scientific Materials, Chemicals, and Equipment is essential.
- Be experienced with Hazardous Waste Management, Synthetic Chemistry exposure is preferred.
Sales Manager / Autonomous Robotics , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 1 hour ago
100%, Zurich, permanent ANYbotics is a fast-growing tech company dedicated to shaping the future of mobile robotics across multiple industries. Join our highly talented and motivated team of more ...
Environmental Health/Safety Professional Ii Radiation Safety Team, Emory University, United States, 25 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Security Officer, University of New Mexico Hospitals, United States, 6 days ago
Sign On Bonus available for external hires! Department: Security - UPC FTE: 1.00 Full Time Shift: Rotating Position Summary: Provide personal protection, safety and security for patients, employee...
Facility Health And Safety Officer, University of Alberta, Canada, 29 minutes ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). In accordance with the Administrative and Professional Officer Agreement , this full time con...
Aide Security Officer, University of New Mexico Hospitals, United States, 6 days ago
Department: Security - UH FTE: 1.00 Full Time Shift: Rotating Position Summary: Provide Security Officer assistance as required. Works in conjunction with Security Officers to support operations b...
Chemical And Process Engineering Teaching Laboratory Technician, UNIVERSITY OF SURREY, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Chemical & Process Engineering Location: Guildford Salary: £28,762 to £33,314 per annum Permanent Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Monday 13 March 2023 Reference: 010923 We ar...