4 Sep 2023
- Research Field
Physics » Condensed matter properties
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
6 Oct 2023 - 23:00 (Europe/Lisbon)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Offer Starting Date
2 Jan 2024
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
H2020 / ERC
- Reference Number
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research Fellow – Topological bosonic waveguides (Ref.08.23.41)
Job Reference: Ref.08.23.41
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Group/Unit: Nanophononics Research Group
Number of Vacancies: 2
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 24 months *
*with a possible extension of up to the total of 36 months
Open Date for Applications: September 4th, 2023
Closing Date for Applications: October 6th, 2023, 23h00m (Lisbon Time).
Key words: #GHzphononguiding, #electromechanicalcoupling, #phononiccrystal, #waveguides.
The Nanophononics Research Group carries out research in the general area of nanophononics, which includes nano-scale thermal transport, phononic crystals, thermoelectricity, acousto-metamaterials, topological bosonics and NEOMs. The Nanophononics Research group is moving from the ICN2 in Spain (www.icn2-p2n.eu/ ) to the INL in Braga, Portugal in September 2023.
We are seeking two Postdoctoral Researchers to join the team of the European Research Council funded Advanced Grant “Lossless information for emerging information technologies” (LEIT). The tasks associated with the positions are mainly experimental research with a contribution to simulation of topological band structures and in-gap modes.
The job duties will be the following:
1. Carry out research on phonon propagation in topological phononic crystal waveguides probed by Brillouin light scattering by and pump-and-probe methods of standard and topological phonons in silicon and 2D materials.
2. Advance experimental methods to study topological phonon waveguides, sources and detectors and contribute to the COMSOL simulations of the topological band structure.
1. Carry out research on phonon propagation in topological phononic crystals probed by laser Doppler vibrometry, spatial phonon signal modulation and study the efficiency of coupling to surface acoustic waves
2. Advance experimental work on topological phonon waveguides specially the coupling to phonons sources and detectors.
For both positions:
3. Research planning, experimental method development, carrying out of planned and new experiments, analysis of data and publication of results.
4. Report writing, participation in project meetings, documentation and dissemination of results.
5. Shared responsibility in equipment maintenance and upgrades, as well as playing a full role in upholding IT Services and safety regulations.
- PhD in Condensed Matter Physics or related field.
Experience & Technical Skills
- Postgraduate level research experience in experimental semiconductor laboratory-scale devices, nanophotonics and or nanophononics; inelastic light scattering, pump-and-probe methods and a sound background on phonons in nanostructures.
- Ability to marshal arguments and to develop research concepts and or methods.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Planning and leadership skills.
- Ability to work in an international team and on one's own.
- “Hands-on” approach together with a high commitment in respecting working deadlines.
- Problem Solving ability.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in English (spoken, written and reading comprehension).
- Competitive salary.
- Tax benefits and other Diplomatic privileges.
- Private health insurance.
- Family allowances (according to family situation).
- Free nursery service at INL premises (subject to availability).
- Support for education fees of dependent children.
- Relocation support.
- 30 working days of annual leave.
How to Apply
The application must be in English and include the following mandatory documents:
a) Cover letter
b) Curriculum Vitae
c) Academic and/or Professional diplomas
d) Three reference letters or referees contact details
e) Title and abstract of the applicant PhD thesis
Online application instructions:
Incomplete applications including the failure to provide mandatory documents or providing inaccurate information will result in the application not being considered.
Applicants may wish to contact Prof. Dr. Clivia Sotomayor Torres informally by email prior to submitting their application: email@example.com .
How the Selection Process works
A. Applications eligibility check
This stage will be carried out on the basis of the mandatory requirements, education, experience and technical skills defined for the job, as well as the validation of the mandatory documents. Only candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will move forward to the next stage.
B. CV Assessment
The Selection Committee will evaluate the eligible applications based on their CV and other submitted documents and the suitability for the position. The best ranked candidates will be shortlisted for the interview stage(s).
The interview(s) may be done in different formats: video recording, online or onsite.
The question based interview will evaluate the match between the candidate’s profile and the requirements for the position, including the technical and personal skills. To better support this stage, the candidate may be requested to prepare a short presentation.
The selected candidate will be nominated and formally offered the position, including the disclosure of the contractual conditions.
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL follows a non-discrimination and equal access principle, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int ), is the first and only Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
- Research Field
- Physics » Condensed matter properties
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- INL - International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory
Where to apply
Av. Mestre José Veiga, S/N
- Postal Code
Post Doctoral Position In Quantum Electrodynamics And Strong Light Matter Interactions With Two Dimensional Materials, Institute of Photonic Sciences, Luxembourg, about 11 hours ago
ICFO is offering a postdoctoral position to a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientist who wishes to enhance his/her scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment...
Two Postdoc Positions On 2 D Spintronics And Quantum Electronics, European Magnetism Association EMA, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Description of the offer : We are looking for two highly motivated Postdoctoral researchers to be part of our experimental research group on Spintronics and Quantum Electronics, using 2D topologic...
Postdoctoral Researcher Position On Theory Of Quantum Geometry And Superconductivity , ; Aalto University, Finland, about 10 hours ago
Professor Päivi Törmä (Aalto University) are looking for Postdoctoral Researchers to work on the Theory of Quantum Geometry and Superconductivity, related to the SuperC collaboration . Your role a...
Two Postdoc Positions On 2 D Spintronics And Quantum Electronics, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 9 hours ago
We are looking for two highly motivated Postdoctoral researchers to be part of our experimental research group on Spintronics and Quantum Electronics, using 2D topological quantum materials heter...
Post Doc Position Available At The Integrated Optical Systems Group, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Vacancies post-doc position available at the Integrated Optical Systems group Key takeaways Several post-doc positions are available at the Integrated Optical Systems group of the University of Tw...
Postdoc Positions In Exoplanets Related Areas At Shanghai Astronomical Observatory, Shanghai Astronomical Observatory, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, about 22 hours ago
Shanghai Astronomical Observatory (SHAO) is currently seeking to fill several postdoctoral positions in the field of exoplanets and related techniques. We encourage applications from exceptional t...